Global Warming

Which Ticket will you choose?

*The Renew Video

Very interesting…

But I am sure as most of us know… Sea levels risings, Antarctica is melting… So in 100 years or so, This World will come to an end.

Josh.

LOL
Got both videos running in separate tabs … makes just as much sense as hearing one after the other …

He talks as if it was his idea but he’s about the billionth guy who’s come with the very same argument as far as I know. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol, I’m sick of all this talking about global warming, so can’t be bothered to watch the videos ;D
In case it’s humans fault, we won’t achive anything by talking lol…

Whats the worse that could happen? ;D

I’ll chose “C”: I’m skeptical to climate change (well, not the change, but the cause) as long as all scientists do not agree. I don’t believe in believers (!), I believe in “knowers”. But being environmentally concerned in general, and certainly pro a reduced energy consumption, I guess that puts me in the “A” group. At least regarding measures. But that’s it!

LA

Oh anyways, we don’t need to bother about global warming, it won’t be a problem with us with Ganda’s solution.

Same here. It been warmer, it been colder thru Earth’s history, so why would this be an exception? Anyways, carbon dioxide is 0.038% of the Earth’s atmosphere, and I heard human’s are responsible for like 1% of it, so that doesn’t affect it much. Water vapor is like 0,25% of the Earth’s atmosphere, and it acts like carbon dioxide, and makes the averege temperature on Earth increase, by making the heat unable to leave the Earth.

This is a funny thing, I’ve been thinking of it for a long time. Those new hydrogen cars with water vapor as their only pollution - sometimes mentioned as the solution for transport fuel - wouldn’t that be a bit counterproductive… 88)

LA

Well, most people doesn’t know that water vapor works the same way like carbon dioxide (not sure if water vapor affects more or less than carbon dioxide tho), so it’s left out since people are enough over-hyped with this catastrophe caused by carbon dioxide.
Also, maybe the Earth’s recovering from its cold? ;D

True, I’m just surprised that I haven’t heard anything of a potential conflict, between vapor as emissions from “totally clean cars” and on the other hand vapor as a green house gas. Though, I haven’t even googled in that topic. :-X

Recovering from a cold? You’re probably right! :smiley:

LA

Oh well, my teacher hated me for always being against everything he said when we read about in 7th grade, but it was worse when we read about the bible-stuff (be happy that religion is not allowed to be discussed on this forum) ;D

Yeah, better keep it strictly to global warming - not even the political views on it! As for religion, that could be even more sensitive. Which reminds me: once, on a lecture of geology, the teacher told us how earth was created. An orthodox girl said “isn’t there any other theory?”, at which the teacher answered “what would that be? The Creation?”, as he laughed. :frowning: That was not respectful!

By the way, I noticed something funny in the first video. At first, when the guy sat down and talked, he was quite calm. Then, when standing up and writing on the white board, he got much more intense. Just an observandum without much of a meaning, I guess.

What is there to believe? So not ALL scientists believe, but enough do, and top institutions do, and most of the world really believes, except US. Sorry but that’s what it is. The only country ignoring Kyoto. Talk about the worst US government i ever saw.

EVEN if you don’t think about global warming, Economics alone should be screaming - Hydrogen, wind power (estimates that it could feed more than half US’s needs for electricity), hydro power, ETC.

We still ■■■■ up fuel (!) which costs a ridiculous fortune (!), to set a piston in motion to ultimately move a wheel. That i do know keeps my country’s economy from expansion. Gas to cook, oil to move! We are subject to some guys in the desert! We can produce this energy on our own, if we provide enough investment.

Already there’s a race to explore Antarctica’s oil! Yes, lets destroy that too. Lets get rid of all forests, why not, that’s a lot of good wood, what could possibly happen.

Hey nothing is proven. No one has proven that the grass is green.

To me, this guy, although 100% correct, didn’t even touch what really hurts.

Sorry for the rant, but i needed to get that out ;D

Wow! So there is people who do feel skeptics about this global warming issue, then…

It’s normal anyway… because you guys never experience the result face to face.
Here in our country, Indonesia; which positioned straight at the equator line; we got a lot of trouble because of this so called global warming condition.
Like flood & land slide every where caused by massive heavy rain, 5 to 12 meter wave across country for 15 straight days, strong winds, etc…

The point is, this thing really happening. While the problem left is, anyone who never face the trouble personally would think it’s just another bed time stories…

Have you ever swim across 5km drowned real estate in the middle of the night, with no lights or helps? Well, I have.
Imagine a house, heights 4.5 meter tall, drowned in just about 3 hours.
The rest, you can imagine that for yourself…

Anyway, I’ll give you guys a few link to read, so you can understand, from where all of this trouble begins…

*. ■■■■ Interesting Article.
*. Wikipedia
*. <a href="http://thetimetocare.blogspot.com/2007/07/causes-and-effects.html>Some American’s blog

But I don’t think anyone doubts that it’s actually getting warmer, which causes many different problems. The doubt rather lies in the cause of the warming.

It’s natural (although still terrible) that low areas, close to water, are severely affected by the global warming. It’s very serious, but I’m not sure that less CO2 emissions would help. Still I’m willing to see it as a possibility. So, I’m totally convinced that we have to switch fuel to something renewable, in order to make the world a decent future place to live in.

LA

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

Okay… Now when did the humans started to use coal? In around the middle of the 18th century the industrial revolution began, and the humans didn’t use oil yet. Coal also releases a lot of carbon dioxide.

It was in about the end of the 19th century that the humans began to use oil (petroleum), and if we’re to believe the picture above, the carbon dioxide from the coal had a rather good effect on the climate.
When humans now began to use oil (petroleum) in the end of the 19th century, we see that the temperature lowers a bit, but in the early 20th century, it begins to rise again, until 1940s, where it goes down again. And now it makes a giant leap up from its lowest -0.2 to +0.4, that’s +0.6 total.

Also, there’s scients that says that an increased temperature causes an increased amount of carbon dioxide and not the other way.
There’s more greenhouse gases than just carbon dioxide.
Here’s a list of greenhouse gases:
Water vapor (H2O) - many people seems to forget this one, even tho it only remains in the atmosphere for a few days, it still is about 50% of the greenhouse effect
Carbon dioxide (CO2)
Methane (CH4)
Nitrous oxide (N20)
Carbon tetrafluoride (CF4)
Hexafluoroethane (C2Fe)
Sulfur hexafluoride (SFe)
Trifluoromethane (CHF3)
1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane (C2H2F4)
1,1-Difluoroethane (C2H4F2)
Trichlorofluoromethane (CFCl3)
Dichlorodifluoromethane (CF2Cl2)
Chlorotrifluoromethane (CClF3)
1,1,1-Trichlorotrifluoroethane (C2F3Cl3)
1,2-Dichlorotetrafluoroethane (C2F4Cl2)
Chloropentafluoroethane (C2F5Cl)
Tetrachloromethane (CCl4)
Methyl chloroform (CH3CCl3)
1,1-Dichloro-1-Fluoroethane (C2H3FCl2)
1-Chloro-1,1-Difluoroethane (C2H3F2Cl)
Bromochlorodifluoromethane (CClF2Br)
Bromotrifluoromethane(CF3Br)

Oh well, that’s all of them, but there’s four big ones:
WTER VAPOR (Why everyone forget this one?)
Carbon dioxide
Methane
Nitrious oxide

Even tho these are the ones that affect global warming the most, carbon tetrafluoride stays in the atmosphere for around 50,000 years, thus having a big effect over time.

Also again, there’s more than the greenhouse gases that affect the temperature of the Earth like:
Earth’s distance to the Sun
Solar activity

And also, instead of just focusing on lowering the amount of greenhouse gases, shouldn’t we stop destroying the forest, which uses carbon dioxide for the photosynthesis (6 CO2 + 6 H20 → C6H1206 + 6 02).

Curiously enough, there were (noticeably) nearly no sceptics some a year ago, at least out of the USA. But even as the awareness about global warming has been promoted more and more, it was a matter of time until the scepticism got its share.

By the way I’m also “sceptical”, meaning only that I don’t consider proven anything that’s not proven, nothing else. And Wisanggeni I’m sorry about that, please don’t think I’m insensitive towards it, it’s only that I don’t have reasons to think that it’s caused by human activity. We’re told that human-caused global warming is causing increasing catastrophes but there’s no statistic data supporting that; the only statistic data I’ve seen about natural disasters were about casualties caused, and those have been decreasing steadily during the latest decades, which doesn’t necessarily point to a decrease in the number or gravity of disasters, but neither it points in the opposite direction at all.

If you think Katrina was a disaster, take a look at this, a storm caused 50,000 to 80,000 dead… in the XIIIth century!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Lucia’s_flood

Hi, Japo.
I don’t have a grudge against you.
I was just telling stories from my point of view; which heavily influenced by my experience. That’s all.
Don’t worry, it’s all fair. Everyone’s got their share of view here…

Anyway… personally, I think coal kills more than gas does. And in my country, protester against coal use is steadily increasing. …since we still use coal to produce most of our electricity.
Although… if we consider how many cars the globe owns now, and calculate that with how many hours we stuck in a traffic jam, perhaps gas do add significant effect to global warming.
Still… it prove nothing.

The Kyoto protocol by the way… is just an “A” ticket, which ask every nation to reduce their spicy ingredient that will potentially multiply the green house effect.
The protocol never accused us; the human being, as the main actor behind global warming.
…and that’s when Uncle Sam’s refuse to corporate with everyone around the globe. …because Uncle Sam’s leader though, that it’s not human who cause the problem. It’s natural they say.

…natural or not, we should immediately find another cure to our oil hungry economy structures, and stop putting additional spice to the receipt of doom.

…and that’s when this guy with his video come out. Did you know how many views he got from his first video? 4 billion views!!
It’s a good think to saw someone, care enough to act like a moron in front of a tiny device and talk like mad professor by himself, just to change the world. …even now, he’s been busy attending many interviews by ABC, CNN, etc…
What he’s trying to do, is simple. He’s trying to say “Stop refusing the protocol”.
And that’s what I’m trying to do too, by giving you guys the links from my previous post.
…as you can see… the nature of Uncle Sam’s has never been change throughout man’s history.
But the world, do…change.