General Questions about the Online backup product

I haven’t seen the product or used it yet so had a few questions about features. I requested to eval the product but haven’t heard back from anyone so far so hoping that someone that has used it can chime in.

My PC currently has 6 HDs in it. My first question is I’m assuming there is no restriction on the number of HDs being backed up?

USB/external/CD drives that are connected to the PC can be backed up as well, correct?

One drive has Ubuntu on it. Another Vista 32 and another another Vista 64. Any known issues with any OSs that anyone is aware of? Are there ANY files that ARE NOT backed up? I’m assuming one can use filters to prevent backing up tmp/bak files, etc. True? False? Somewhere in between?

The software I currently use allows for a complete SYSTEM backup (hardware and software) and then going forward, does an incremental backup. The complete backup is a snapshot of the entire PC at that point in time and takes into consideration ALL of the files needed to restore that PC back to the same state in the event of a catastrophe. Does this online product such a feature?

What about doing a restore to a different piece of hardware than the original? Any issues with that?

Does the product back up files that are currently open? System files come to mind but I’m also curious about newly created data files that have not yet been named. Are these files documented in the backup log that is created after the backup completes?

Speaking of backup logs, is the log just an overview as in “yea, we backed up your PC tonight, no known errors worth mentioning” or is it detailed and shows the file attributes, whether the file was open or not, time/data, etc?

What is required for a full restore? Is there a boot CD that is created (or can be created) so that I can power on the PC, put in the CD and it kicks off a full/complete/current/up-to-date restore without any user intervention or do I have to baby-sit it or ? This one is important to me as my test PC is, well, exactly that. Sometimes things go off in the ditch and I’d like to get back to ground zero quickly.

Almost done.

Tell me about your backup systems. How many copies of my files do you keep? When I backup my files, are they going on one server only or are multiple copies distributed across servers for redundancy? Uptime for backup/restore? 24/7 is ideal but only practical if you’ve got the hardware and bandwidth. What about security? i’m sure the files are encrypted going across the network and I’m assuming that happens on my PC. What if I forget my password? How do you know I am who I say I am? Do you log IPs? No issue with me retrieving a file while I am in a different location (ip)?

That’s it for the moment.

Appreciate any info you can throw my way. Or you could always open up a site where I could test all this and get back to you with my thoughts… :wink:

“I haven’t seen the product or used it yet so had a few questions about features. I requested to eval the product but haven’t heard back from anyone so far so hoping that someone that has used it can chime in.”

----Ok I’ll try to answer them

“My PC currently has 6 HDs in it. My first question is I’m assuming there is no restriction on the number of HDs being backed up?”

---- No Resctriction what so ever (as long as you have enough space on the online account)

USB/external/CD drives that are connected to the PC can be backed up as well, correct?

---- Yes

One drive has Ubuntu on it. Another Vista 32 and another another Vista 64. Any known issues with any OSs that anyone is aware of? Are there ANY files that ARE NOT backed up? I’m assuming one can use filters to prevent backing up tmp/bak files, etc. True? False? Somewhere in between?

---- I believe You are only allowed to use Windows OS with “.NET Framework 2.0(processor architecture dependant)”… only the ones in the excluder… True

The software I currently use allows for a complete SYSTEM backup (hardware and software) and then going forward, does an incremental backup. The complete backup is a snapshot of the entire PC at that point in time and takes into consideration ALL of the files needed to restore that PC back to the same state in the event of a catastrophe. Does this online product such a feature?

—Automatic snapshots allow you to restore archive data from any point in the past

What about doing a restore to a different piece of hardware than the original? Any issues with that?

—I’m sure you can restore it to a different location…

Does the product back up files that are currently open? System files come to mind but I’m also curious about newly created data files that have not yet been named. Are these files documented in the backup log that is created after the backup completes?

— I’m darn certain… once saved it will update it… I’m pretty sure it’s logged

Speaking of backup logs, is the log just an overview as in “yea, we backed up your PC tonight, no known errors worth mentioning” or is it detailed and shows the file attributes, whether the file was open or not, time/data, etc?

----I’m not sure… Business uses this software i’m sure it will be detail’d…

What is required for a full restore? Is there a boot CD that is created (or can be created) so that I can power on the PC, put in the CD and it kicks off a full/complete/current/up-to-date restore without any user intervention or do I have to baby-sit it or ? This one is important to me as my test PC is, well, exactly that. Sometimes things go off in the ditch and I’d like to get back to ground zero quickly.

— I’m not sure of this one

Tell me about your backup systems. How many copies of my files do you keep? When I backup my files, are they going on one server only or are multiple copies distributed across servers for redundancy? Uptime for backup/restore? 24/7 is ideal but only practical if you’ve got the hardware and bandwidth. What about security? i’m sure the files are encrypted going across the network and I’m assuming that happens on my PC. What if I forget my password? How do you know I am who I say I am? Do you log IPs? No issue with me retrieving a file while I am in a different location (ip)?

This is for a Project Leader or Personell to answer

Haha Second user who made me bust out the old notepad.exe to help :slight_smile:

Jacob