Game mode for CIS

If a file is suspecious then you shouldn’t use training mode. Training mode is only for trustworthy applications… If your suspecious you should run Safe\paranoid mode.

We are refereeing to “games” not unknown programs. Why would you use training mode for an unknown program.

May need to get that back again. :wink:

Cheers,
Josh

I think that Comodo need develop “Training mode” (“Game mode”) better than before because…

ZoneAlarm
Game Mode - one-click control temporarily suppresses most security alerts and prevents them from interrupting your fun while maintaining protection for your PC.

BullGuard Gamer’s Edition

Optimised settings mean your computer dedicates more resources to gaming performance without compromising security.

Prevents security pop-up messages, system scans and auto-updates while you are gaming.

Auto updates with new game profiles as new PC games are released.

Standard settings work with all games PLUS Tailor made settings for all major games.

Norton™ AntiVirus Gaming Edition

• Suspends alerts and notifications to avoid interrupting game play.
  • Option to suspend real-time monitoring activities and updates to reduce PC and network resource usage even further.
  • Automatically enabled when PC is in full-screen mode.
  • Turn it on manually with a simple click on the Norton system tray icon.

BitDefender GameSafe
Minimize processor time & memory consumption
Postpone automatic updates & scans
Eliminate all alerts and pop-ups
Scan only the most important files
No need to disable firewall while gaming, as it’s designed to accept required connections

My opinion is that need to kill these paid products with Comodo Internet Security because it is free & better but maybe “Game mode” sounds better than “Training mode”…
and gamers will respect Comodo!

https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t30414.0.html

BullGuard Gamer's Edition # Optimised settings mean your computer dedicates more resources to gaming performance without compromising security.

haha. If it doesn’t affect computer security and you have increased performance then why not use that mode instead of the standard one? It’s faster, yet it has the same level of security.

Do you see what I mean? They’re trying to suck you in :frowning:

Guys, you didn’t get my point!

When you temporarily put Defense+ in traning mode to play a game, you are at risk, because Defense+ will learn not only game activity, but every activity that occur in that pc, included malware activity if there is.

Anyway, don’t you think that Training With App is more safe and more userfriendly?

See the following wishlist:

https://forums.comodo.com/defense_wishlist/training_mode_for_each_application_and_not_global-t36419.0.html

https://forums.comodo.com/defense_wishlist/training_mode_on_perprogram_basis-t29421.0.html

https://forums.comodo.com/defense_wishlist/d_should_learn_specific_actions_of_apps-t37264.0.html

Absolutely! Installation mode is per app, why not training mode. I never use training mode for the very reasons that you’ve stated.

To the original poster, I think something that perhaps you are missing is that CIS doesn’t need a game mode… It is the lightest full featured security app out there. On my system, it is using under 7MB of RAM for both of it’s memory resident services. Compare that to the 20MB or more for most of its competitors.

I myself am a gamer, and I realized long ago that the recommended ‘tweaks’ most people tout actually do diddly for your gaming experience. It’s an easy thing to test for yourself. Run your game with CIS on and see how it performs. Then jump through all the hoops of turning off anything and everything not expressly needed by the game. Big improvement huh? 88)

All the ‘tweaks’ were started when systems had very little RAM and slow processors. Back then, every little bit counted. Todays systems are another story entirely, yet people still like to hang on to their tweaks even though they do little to nothing.

To put it bluntly, anyone who tells you to turn off your AV/Firewall to play their game is an idiot…

Training with app… Hmm… It sounds like a good idea except I’m not sure how it would work… What happens if for example you launch a game like world of warcraft from launcher.exe which then executes wow.exe There may be some parent\child issues…

How exactly would it work? :slight_smile:

You honestly think that your gonna get infected while playing Counter Strike or WOW for 5 minutes. Your nuts. All you need to do is use the firewall and D+ in training mode. Fire up your favorite shooter or rpg or what ever game and play it for 5 minutes. Then exit out of the game and the Comodo will have learned the game. Then put D+ and the firewall back to Safe mode. Its that easy. Or do what I said and add your exe’s manually. You only need to do this one. Gaming mode is an all the time thing. Gaming mode in other products is also a gimmick and a hype to sell the product.

Vette makes some good points. I think a strong one is that you only have to do it once.

Why is to dificult to implement something here?

I don’t know how to describe it yet. Maybe like installation mode, but I don’t know. IMHO, it’s an amazing idea!

I agree with Joker. I am not a fan of the “clean PC mode” or “training mode” for reasons that I stated in before:

So, if malware creators know that their malicious programs can execute while a security program is “learning” a game, then they may take advantage of this loophole!

I have a couple suggestions that may work:

1. Trust Installed executables during Installation mode - When installation mode is activated for a given installer, CIS can offer the option to trust all of the executables that are being installed. So, when you run the program (in this case a game), all of the executables are on the trusted list and you get no popups. This would allow protection to remain in effect at all times, i.e. Clean PC and Training (allow all malicous code) modes would be avoided.
  2. Training mode for a selected folder - all the executables in the folder will be learned, but everything outside the folder would be subject to more stringent security. This still allows a loophole (because malware may be installed in the folder), but the loophole is much smaller since Training Mode is not active for the entire system. With “training mode for a specific application,” games that utilize many executables may still cause pop up alerts. With training mode for a specific folder, CIS would learn all the executables in the folder (child and parent) and minimize popups.
  3. CIS or its users could create importable rule sets for games (this seems like it would be a lot of work). This “game pack” could be downloaded as an “add on”.

I am not sure if these are feasible…I’d like to hear your thoughts.

Stop worrying about it all. Gezzz. This is why you do weekly scans for malware. And if you are paranoid which you seem to be then run your games in a Sandbox or else just manually add all your game exe’s to the firewall and D+ which is what I do.

Is this is a reasonable argument against my (and others) wish?

:-TD

Vettetech, whether you intended it or not, your comments are condescending. Sometimes I wonder why some of the established forum members (especially those who should know better) find it necessary to be so intolerant. It this attitude that has driven away many forum members that were providing CONSTRUCTIVE ideas. If you do not agree with an idea, then perhaps you can be mature enough to post your opinion without calling people “paranoid” and without dismissing an idea by telling people “not to worry about it.”

Joker, I hope we can continue this thread with members who will provide helpful comments.

Well I think what they could do is like say you could go into training mode and it would ask you what programs would you like to train Comodo for and so they could let you have a list of programs that you want to train Comodo for and if the program is not on the list then it would warn you let you know some how that this one program is trying to do things and you could check into that program then so then by having this list that would stop the problem of one program switching off to another program and so on and you would know that your only setting up Comodo for the programs that you want to and not all of the programs

Actually, with “training mode” you have reached the peak of usability. “Game mode” would be redundant with “training mode” in place. All you need to do is train the game under it for half an hour or so, and it would be it. If you are worried about forgetting to revert back to more protective modes, then maybe a timer or a reminder would suffice. If something slipping past D+ should worry you then it should be the POCs and the leaktests, which seem to be given the least focus amongst the others.