FYI : CPF 2.3.0.19 BETA has been updated to CPF 2.3.1.20!

FYI : CPF 2.3.0.19 BETA has been updated to CPF 2.3.1.20 to address a serious bug which caused BSOD.

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1047.msg6504.html#msg6504

Egemen

Just in time. The last beta 23019 was forgetting my allow/dis-allow choices continually and it was really aggravating to use. I was on the verge of removing it anyway.

Beta 23120 uninstalled the previous version smoothly and the subsequent install was both fast and easy. So far it has performed perfectly [he said, holding is breath].

This beta is the first to have the feel of a polished product. I’ll pound on it a couple of more days and get back if anything comes up you would want to know about.

When you get such recurrent popups, please keep the screenshots(2 or 3) and send us so that we can see what CPF does not remember.

Thx,
Egemen

Installation went smooth and beautiful but:

1. Uninstaller it’s not a big deal, you can do it manually from control panel. You rather expect something like in other programs that automatically uninstall old version and install new one without rebooting the whole system in the middle of the process.
  2. I’ve also expected that new installation will keep my old settings. Going through configuration and learning process is a bit painful.

By the way is it possible to keep an old configuration and settings from old version and restore them to new one. How can it be done?

Beside above it’s running like a rocket, well done. In my opinion it’s better and smooter than previous one. (V)

RE YOUR QUESTION: Can one save old configuration settings when updating? … I picked up the following exchange somewhere else on this forum and kept it for future use. Untested by me but it looks like it could work … certainly worth a try when re-configuring gets to be a pain. I did not try it because I like to give each “beta” a fresh run … I feel I get a better overall test that way. Well, here is what I could read on the subject anyway … I hope it is helpful.

BACKING COMODO Personal FireWall Settings for future Updates
Backing up the defined CPF rules manually

QUESTION:

I am thinking of unistalling CPF 2.2.0.11 to try the next Beta CPF version coming out in a day or so (Beta 2.4?), and figured all my application rules would be lost doing so. If I can save myself some time by manually backing up my rules, that would be great!

ANSWER:

pandlouk Comodo’s Hero

Re: Backing up the defined CPF rules manually
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 12:15:13 am »

The rules are stored in the registry.
Run regedit and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal Firewall

You can EXPORT that registry Key to a file with a *.reg extension, then when you have updated with the new version … double click the reg file to replace your rules in the registry again.

Screenshots? … OK, here are a few from the last ten minutes that I find pretty confusing.

I have installed MailWasher Pro 5.2 and been using it for many months. I have previously told Comodo that it was OK for MailWasher to connect to my ISP and check my mail.

Now with Comodo running it seems that if I have some other application open and MailWasher does one of the auto mail checks from the system tray (it set to do this every three minutes), Comodo will occasionally put up a message as shown in this screen capture. In this particular case, I had the program “ObjectDock” open since I was configuring it by adding some additional shortcuts … and MailWasher Pro wanted to do a mail check … and I got this message that says both ObjectDock and Explorer.exe is being used somehow. This is really confusing.

In the next screen capture, we see I am running FireFox when ObjectDock apparently wants to check in (?). I get this confusing message with FireFox mentioned at the top and some message about ObjectDock trying to use Explorer.exe through OLE (???) for some nefarious purposes mentioned at the bottom. Huh?

Finally one that popped up seconds ago as I was typing this message in my FireFox browser … Explorer.exe trying to use ObjectDock via this OLE process again. Now ObjectDock is running of course so I can access my shortcuts but I did not have ObjectDock open and was not configuring it at the time.

Well after three of these messages like this in five minutes … I’m at a loss.

Hope you can help. I hope this helps you guys too. Great Program BTW.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you for the screenshots. When you select the remember option, do you still see this OLE automation popups for ObjectDoc?

When CPF detects a sort of possible leak attempt, like Ole automation, it saves this data and even if you close ObjectDoc, it brings it to you for convenience. Because we can not know when the leak will cause an internet connection.

When you face such cases, you should have a look at the application attempting OLE automation. If you believe it is some sort of valid application, you can remember the answer.

Explorer.exe is a common parent to many applications and OLE Automation is very common for explorer.exe.

Since you have “Monitor parent application leaks” option selected, it is expected to see such popups unless remembered.

I think there is nothing wrong with your popups and you can safely remember them.

Hope this helps,
Egemen

Thank you for the screenshots. When you select the remember option, do you still see this OLE automation popups for ObjectDoc?

I have previously checked Remember for each of these applications when I had occasion to run them / let them run on their own. For example, when I’d run ObjectDock to do something to it, I’d check “remember” and “allow” to let it access the internet. I have not yet clicked either “allow” or “remember” when I see these odd combinations in these ‘alert’ screens since it looked sinister to me even though I trust each application mentioned in all these instances.

When CPF detects a sort of possible leak attempt, like Ole automation, it saves this data and even if you close ObjectDoc, it brings it to you for convenience. Because we can not know when the leak will cause an internet connection.

When you face such cases, you should have a look at the application attempting OLE automation. If you believe it is some sort of valid application, you can remember the answer.

OK. Sounds reasonable to me and I believe I understand now.

Explorer.exe is a common parent to many applications and OLE Automation is very common for explorer.exe.

OK, it is all beginning to make sense to me now.

Since you have “Monitor parent application leaks” option selected, it is expected to see such popups unless remembered.

That makes sense too now that you explain it.

I think there is nothing wrong with your popups and you can safely remember them.

Excellent … thanks for the explanation. Guess you helped me a lot more than I helped you but I’ll keep reporting / asking when I see stuff I don’t understand in case something does come up that might be useful to your programmers. Thank again!

Sure. Always feel free to ask anything you need to be clarified.

Good luck,
Egemen