Functionality Request/Feedback - Updated

Functionality Request/Feedback

• Will there be a way to setup a group for user that can use the local admin for the firewall?

• Will the CESM be able to push software updates to the clients?

• Will there be options available for the firewall to send reports back to the CESM about client Stats? Example logs of if someone tried to hack them outside of the network / If malware/spyware/virus was detect and if so was it removed or not. This information would be helpful for a network health report/chart that could be printed up.

• Installation options to set silent install with reboot or without reboot.

• E-mail notification for threat alerts.

• Computer listing by MAC rather than AD Computer listing. The listing don’t update when a user is changed or removed. With MAC or IP it will provide the netbios name of the unit and will also give you the ability to check online status.
    You could also have an option to pull Users in AD and allow the admin to assign an MAC or IP to a user.

WBC (Would be Cool) List

• IT management. With you already having a client on the workstations. It could pull info as far as software/last login/pc spec/ etc. This would be an IT dream. I could then keep an inventory of all systems in a network and make sure they are up-to-date with comodo and microsoft.

• Complete software deployment. I know you can push .msi, but it would be cool to have the ability to push hotfixes and other software to users.

So far this is my list of Request and feedback toward Functionality of this new product. Overall I think you guys are doing a great job. I will keep testing it and come up with more to add. Thanks Devs for the hard work. (:CLP)

How about integrating remote control via CESM? I know you guys are working on this (UserAnywhere) and it would seem to fit nicely.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Hello Etaftm.
Thank you for so much interest in our project and your efforts in working on suggestions on its improvement! If you don’t mind we will provide replies between the lines of your message:

• Will there be a way to setup a group for user that can use the local admin for the firewall?

You touched an interesting point in behaviour of Remotely Managed CFP (RM CFP) . Actually it is not so difficult to implement. At early stages of CESM design we planned that only CESM would enable to manage RM versions of Comodo desktop products. We even intended to completely eliminate GUI in such RM modifications. But finally we decided to save GUI so that users can manage RM CFP in case connection to CESM Central Service (CS) is broken - now any user can manage RM CFP via the GUI. Your suggestion brought us to understanding that we have to re-consider our plans and that we have to restrict such ‘unlimited’ management ability by allowing only appropriate users to configure local CFP - and this will be applicable only in cases if connection to CS is down. Thank you for such a good idea.

• Will the CESM be able to push software updates to the clients?

Sure, it’s implemented as installation of new MSI package on remote PCs. If previous version of product is present, this action will do Update only. We’re sure you know it’s just usual MSI behaviour.

• Will there be options available for the firewall to send reports back to the CESM about client Stats? Example logs of if someone tried to hack them outside of the network / If malware/spyware/virus was detect and if so was it removed or not. This information would be helpful for a network health report/chart that could be printed up.

There is such an option - you can check notifications and requests from remote products in Notification Monitor and Request Monitor windows. It’s also explained in CESM Product Brief document, “Monitoring notifications from managed computers” and “Monitoring and answering requests from managed computers” paragraphs.

• Installation options to set silent install with reboot or without reboot.

You are reading our mind! :slight_smile: We already working on it.

• E-mail notification for threat alerts.

The only thing which prevented us from implementation of this feature is that we assumed there will be a lot of such e-mail traffic which will hamper CS server network subsystem performance. We even implemented custom network driver to achieve best performance.

• Computer listing by MAC rather than AD Computer listing. The listing don’t update when a user is changed or removed. With MAC or IP it will provide the netbios name of the unit and will also give you the ability to check online status.
    You could also have an option to pull Users in AD and allow the admin to assign an MAC or IP to a user.

In CESM we use GUID which for a computer is as unique as a “fingerprint” for human. CESM Agent Service sends its own GUID to CESM CS during network handshake. Thus GUID is an association between remote real PC and previously registered PC object in CESM Administator Console (AC) Directory tree. So even if remote PC was renamed in AD and CESM Directory was not yet synchronized with AD, such GUID association would be working well.

WBC (Would be Cool) List

• IT management. With you already having a client on the workstations. It could pull info as far as software/last login/pc spec/ etc. This would be an IT dream. I could then keep an inventory of all systems in a network and make sure they are up-to-date with comodo and microsoft.

CESM has such an ability. It’s mentioned in the CESM Product Brief , “Discover installed MSI packages”,“Discover Windows Services”,“Discover OS Version” paragraphs.
The only thing we have to do - is to collect such user requests and implement extended list of CESM Discovery Profiles.

• Complete software deployment. I know you can push .msi, but it would be cool to have the ability to push hotfixes and other software to users.

At the moment we have no such plans. But if our customers would demand, we will support other kinds of installation packages too.

So far this is my list of Request and feedback toward Functionality of this new product. Overall I think you guys are doing a great job. I will keep testing it and come up with more to add. Thanks Devs for the hard work. (:CLP)

Etaftm we are glad indeed to receive such a reasonable feedback from you, we appreciate you spent so much time and efforts testing the application!
We believe our replies will help to better understand CESM as it is and we hope to continue to hear from you in the future!

Hi Ewen, pleased to hear from you again!
Don’t you think that MS Remote desktop solution is completely enough for most of all aspects of remote administration?

First off, thanks for responding. I have tried to help other companies beta test and would never get a response from the devs. So it means a lot to me and others that you guys want our help to make this product the best.
I plan to keep testing until the product is ready to go. This is such a great thing you guys have going and I want to help to see this product go far in the industry.

You touched an interesting point in behavior of Remotely Managed CFP (RM CFP) . Actually it is not so difficult to implement. At early stages of CESM design we planned that only CESM would enable to manage RM versions of Comodo desktop products. We even intended to completely eliminate GUI in such RM modifications. But finally we decided to save GUI so that users can manage RM CFP in case connection to CESM Central Service (CS) is broken - now any user can manage RM CFP via the GUI. Your suggestion brought us to understanding that we have to re-consider our plans and that we have to restrict such ‘unlimited’ management ability by allowing only appropriate users to configure local CFP - and this will be applicable only in cases if connection to CS is down. Thank you for such a good idea.

My thought behind this is due to my structure at this company. All my workstations are laptops and the majority of my users work from home as they are software developers. So at any given point they may need access to a program for development and need a quick way to all access to a program or add a port to talk to a program. So what I am thinking if there is a way to setup a group of say admin or power users that can have permission to certain feature that I allow them to have.

Also I think there should be a way that I can setup a group with firewall policies that the CFP would have to sync up with once on the network to check for updated firewall rules or to make sure the proper rules are in place and that the CFP is up-to-date. Similar to an AD when the user logs into the network it checks GPO and updates that user’s policy if an admin made a change to the GPO.

• IT management. With you already having a client on the workstations. It could pull info as far as software/last login/pc spec/ etc. This would be an IT dream. I could then keep an inventory of all systems in a network and make sure they are up-to-date with comodo and Microsoft.

CESM has such an ability. It’s mentioned in the CESM Product Brief , “Discover installed MSI packages”,“Discover Windows Services”,“Discover OS Version” paragraphs.
The only thing we have to do - is to collect such user requests and implement extended list of CESM Discovery Profiles.

I have not yet to get the discovery profiles feature to pull any information at all. I will keep playing around with it. I will be honest this is not a priority because this doesn’t apply with the firewall software itself. But I recommend you check out spiceworks.com. It is a free IT management software that does a pretty good job. Their flaw is that the software scans the network for IP and MAC, which is great and all but it does have its issues now and then. I just figured with you guys having a client side agent it would work much better than the network scan. The possibility would be endless of things you could do for example, check workstations info (os, hd space, system specs, network adapters, software installed, etc.), remote into the pc, deploy software (.msi which can already be done), etc. Basically create a listing of items in my network so I can do IT inventory easier.

Like I said this is not a pressing matter, it is just a WBC feature. Maybe this could be in another project you guys move into in the future.

• Computer listing by MAC rather than AD Computer listing. The listing don’t update when a user is changed or removed. With MAC or IP it will provide the NetBIOS name of the unit and will also give you the ability to check online status.

In CESM we use GUID which for a computer is as unique as a “fingerprint” for human. CESM Agent Service sends its own GUID to CESM CS during network handshake. Thus GUID is an association between remote real PC and previously registered PC object in CESM Administrator Console (AC) Directory tree. So even if remote PC was renamed in AD and CESM Directory was not yet synchronized with AD, such GUID association would be working well.

The problem I see with this is if I update a pc or if a user pc is removed from the domain and placed back on the domain without changed the NetBIOS name it does not update properly in the CESM. For example I had a user the other day that I had to remove off the domain and place back on and now in CESM it has his name in the list 3 times. Each one of his names has a different GUID. So what I was thinking if there was a different feature of pulling my MAC (do a network scan for IP/MAC by entering a IP range) which would pull every workstation on the network even if it wasn’t in the domain. It could pull the NetBIOS name for that pc and I could sort it out that way.

Like I said in my case I deal with laptops and I have users in my AD that are not on my network that VPN every so often (which would go back to my other point of when the user connects to the network CFP should talk to the CESM and check for policy changes or updates). So with this approach I will never know if the user in the list is online or not.

I don’t see this as a design flaw. In most places this will work perfect. I just see it as a problem with me due to NetBIOS names will change on laptops. I may just be missing something. I’m still testing so I will keep playing around with it though.

Overall the software is looking good. I think this is going to get a lot of attention in the Enterprise world once it is finished.

I just want to let you guys know you are doing a great job! I will support your product till the end! (B)

Once again, thanks for the reply and I hope that I can be of use to make this product the best out there. Thanks for your time.

UPDATE Question - Will there be some sort of Wizard to help with setting up packages and installations vs. having to setup a package then setup sequence etc.

RDP works or you can use Gencontrol. I just recently started using it and it does pretty well.

Is there any word or info you can share on the new GUI you are working on. Thanks.

hey guys,

about local admin future

in some of my networks i am using kaspersky remote administration console, there is such future especially for laptops, you can create two prifiles one when you are pluged to the lcal network and one when you are not

admin decides which options are available or locked for local user in both state,

i configured it like that: when PC is in company he cant change anything, when he is in home or somewhere else he can change some options add new allowed programs, change ports or sth, but he cant disable firewall, he cant uninstall, he cant change password…

i am one admin for a few networks, so i am unable to be everywhere all the time, for me it would be super if there would be third state: pc is connected to the network, but admin is out :] then users should be able to add new programs to rules or even change old things, of course, when admin is back tjhere should be raport with posibility to change user’s answers :slight_smile:

whats more, for me, i wuld like to have such option: right click on computer in the tree and in the popup menu should be option: Notifications forr this PC, and requests for this PC

and the last thing for now :slight_smile: some futures should be available in remote administration mode for local usage:

• view firewall events
  • view defense+ events
  • view active connections
  • view active processes list

i will test it more later and i will write all thing i thought :slight_smile:

wawwa
ps
sory for my english, i now it is not perfect, i am waiting for a some free time to learn it more :slight_smile:

Hello wawwa.

in some of my networks i am using kaspersky remote administration
console, there is such future especially for laptops, you can create two

prifiles one when you are pluged to the lcal network and one when you
are not admin decides which options are available or locked for local

user in both state, i configured it like that: when PC is in company he
cant change anything, when he is in home or somewhere else he can

change some options add new allowed programs, change ports or sth, but
he cant disable firewall, he cant uninstall, he cant change

password…

We already have configuration profiles which can be chosen manually.
But we don’t have a feature to make dynamic choice.
I think we will implement it with one of furure versions of RM CFP.

i am one admin for a few networks, so i am unable to be everywhere all
the time, for me it would be super if there would be third state: pc is

connected to the network, but admin is out :] then users should be able
to add new programs to rules or even change old things, of course,

when admin is back tjhere should be raport with posibility to change
user’s answers

Each request in CESM has its lifetime (expiration time), if admin is
absent/sleeping/meditating, local product would “decide” itself.

whats more, for me, i wuld like to have such option: right click on
computer in the tree and in the popup menu should be option: Notifications

forr this PC, and requests for this PC

Actually we were going to implement general filtering feature for
messaging output, so anyone could select subjects of own interest.
But, anyway you did suggest us an interesting idea. - I promise we will
think on it.*

and the last thing for now some futures should be available in remote
administration mode for local usage:

• view firewall events
  • view defense+ events
  • view active connections
  • view active processes list

i will test it more later and i will write all thing i thought

This is a really interesting point!

wawwa
ps
sory for my english, i now it is not perfect, i am waiting for a some
free time to learn it more

Dzenkue bardzo!

and the last thing for now some futures should be available in remote administration mode for local usage: - view firewall events - view defense+ events - view active connections - view active processes list

How about scheduled collection of all remote logs across the LAN? Aggregated logs could then be emailed to the admin.

Ewen :slight_smile:

but think about such scenario: my mobile rings something is wrong somewhere i am going to the user asking what is happening and i don’t have to check e-mails, management console i just simply checking ‘views’ and i know what is runnig and what is connected and what was happened in the past

:SMLR