Free version of Firewall - version updated but...

Hi Guys
Sorry I can’t be more specific about where I’m placing this post. I love the Comodo Firewall, which I use in conjunction with Avast anti-virus. But I’m never quite sure whether the topics here apply to the free version or not.

My firewall updated itself this morning, twice in fact (which seemed odd.) It is now showing itself as version 3.5.55810.432

When it was done, the function I had that allows me to scan for malware seems to have gone away. I’m guessing it’s deliberate and maybe a better alternative has been built in but I just wanted to make sure it’s correct.

It seems to be working well otherwise, it’s submitting files all on it’s own without me directing it to. That seems to be new.

thank you
kah

Yes, the scanner in CFP has been removed in the latest version, because the the AV that comes with it has a scanner (you have to reinstall to get the AV). I don’t quite like this though…

Thanks Jeremy
I was starting to figure that out, we need to install the new package that comes with anti-virus. I just couldn’t believe it’s free! lol…these folks should get a prize for giving away such a great product. (R)

So I guess I should also uninstall Avast and just upgrade to this package. You’re not liking the new version?

Guess I should also go read about the new product first. :slight_smile:

Yep that is normal with that version of the firewall, as if you updated it via it’s own updater then you will be updated to the latest version but without the scanner. As I guess comodo are thinking if you wanted the scanner then you will take the whole C.I.S which means uninstalling the firewall you have and reinstalling C.I.S here Free Firewall - Download the Best Firewall Protection and Anti-Virus Scan Software from Comodo if you where to do that then you can take 1, just the firewall or 2, just the A.V or 3, the whole C.I.S package which is the firewall and A.V together as a suite but bear in mind even if you take the firewall only option it still comes without the scanner.

It’s up to you if you wanna get rid of Avast and install C.I.S, tho if you wanna run both you can by turning off the realtime scanning tab to disabled, in C.I.S. Then you can use Avast plus have C.I.S as a on demand scanner. Don’t run both as realtime scanners as that can cause problems with your computer.

I didn’t quite like it because I have Avast!, and I don’t want to get rid of Avast! just yet. So I think a better idea is to include the scanner if you only choose the firewall/D+ part of CIS.

How to disable real-time scanning:

https://forums.comodo.com/anti_virus_faq/how_to_disable_realtime_scanning-t29931.0.html

Something tells me that if I try to keep both products my computer will start making like a snail. :slight_smile:

I’ll just have to do a little research and think about the options.

Thanks folks!

If you turn the real-time scanning off for one of them, it should be fine. Important: Don’t ever have real-time scanning for both Avast! and CAV on at the same time! I by mistake had both on, and boom…everything was messed up. Fortunately I was able to get it fixed soon after.