Free online data storage

Online data storage is a great backup, from my point of view. I know that some people don’t want to use it, it’s a question of trust, but for those who are interested I recommend Diino - a Swedish company that offers 2 GB for free, more if you pay. It was recently tested by a magazine and scored 9/10. The test is in Swedish but you can see the names of the alternatives, and for every alternative you’ll see the score, and two other things: “Gratisutrymme:” which means “Free space:” and “Alternativ för betalande:” which means “Alternative for paying”. BTW, with Diino you’ll need their program - it’s not web based - but it works really great, similar to the Windows file explorer. The data transferring is encrypted; 2048 bit.

Diino: http://diino.com/
Test: Lagra filerna gratis på nätet - här är bästa webbdisken - PCforAlla

/LA

besides da security issue, there r some other fators making online storage unfavorable.

the upload speed.

online storage is not handy meaning u need internet, then download it. here download speed is a somehow same issue wit upload speed.

i stil prefer back up to my external hard disk and network drive tho i also back up online to diverse da source.

Diino is very fast though, the fastest in the test I think. And you don’t really have to access backup files every day. So for me it’s perfect, I don’t want to spend more money than necessary, being a student.

I use Box.net: it seems to work well for what I need it for (collaborating with overseas business contacts on spreadsheets/databases):

1gb free storage with file size limit of 10mb but some other useful features that make it worth a try.

:SMLR

i’m also student now, dun haf much (or no?) sensitive data to backup and hide.

2 most important data sources of mine r setup files of apps, ~ 2GB, and music files, ~ 10GB (hell no files for studying). i just cant lose em in any situation coz i spend all my times collecting em :slight_smile:

2gb online just can accommodate part of the space i nid.

btw, i tink an external hdd is not so xpensiv now.100usd u can get a quite gud one wit 80gb.

Well mediamax can store all types of files and offers 25GB free space! That’s the best online i could find.
I’m sure mediamax should work for you because you would use 12GB and still plenty left over.

http://www.mediamax.com/

You can even share your files and edit them online.

hey coolio, thanx :slight_smile:

I tried mediamax but couldn’t get on with it, despite its more than generous storage space.

In the end I went with iDrive-E. Although you only get 2GB for free, it’s fast, reliable, encrypted and comes with a really nice and simple backup utility.

Online storage is something im looking at… I need it to host music files and Zip/Rar files for sharing between certain people do companys offer them to be protected?

Well to get to your files you need to enter a password and username/email to gain access if that’s what you mean.

I use firefox extension gspace for small files (like .pdfs, .ppts, mp3) It stores things in my previously unused google mail account! (2.8gb)