Free Email alternative to Gmail

I am not a fan of anything Google offers except their search engine. I tried Chrome, found it’s look and interface primitive and then found uninstalling it completely to be a real pain. I tried Gmail on the recommendation of friends. I was getting absolutely no spam previously but after making a Gmail account I was inundated with advertising emails which were sent to the alternative email I had provided while creating the Gmail account even though I had opted out of everything pertaining to being contacted by anybody. I would suggest that anyone using Gmail check out an alternative called GMX (gmx.com) It is feature rich, free, and has no ads on the web page and inserts no ads into mail. It also never has outages. It simply works with no hassles.

How long have you been using GMX?

I’m a GMail user from ages now. Never received spam in my Inbox, and only 2 or 3 outages in a couple of years.
It simply works with no hassles. :slight_smile:

I have been using GMX for well over a year in fact almost two years and they have added many features in that time. It also has never gone down. Just try it, it doesn’t hurt anything to have an extra email.

I use Hotmail…always been OK for me.

GMX looks interesting, but as always in these cases, I wonder how it can be free… especially since there are no ads.

Anyway, very appealing with up to 30 MB attachments per email. I have Gmail and sometimes feel too limited by the 10 MB limit.

Yes, I have wondered how they manage to keep it free myself, but I have had absolutely no problems from it. It can be easily accessed through POP3 and that’s how I use it for the most part.

Okay it seems that GMX is a branch of a company called United Internet and this is what the site says about them.

The United Internet Group was founded in 1988. Together with its branches 1&1 and Fasthosts, the Group offers the largest global web hosting service. The United Internet Group (listed on the stock exchange: ISIN DE0005089031) has a market capitalization of over 2 billion USD. The Group has over 4,500 employees at locations in America, Europe and Asia. United Internet’s high speed data centers manage more than 10 million domains. The Group’s data centers set extremely high standards worldwide with 55,000 hosted servers and a monthly transfer volume of 4,000 terabytes as well as over 5 billion e-mails. GMX maintains more than 11 million active e-mail accounts.

So it seems that like Comodo, they make their money in other ways and thus can afford to offer some services free to the general public.

If i’m right:
If POP3 is used one should make sure whether one of authentication method is used (like SASL, APOP) because if not then anyone in route to GMX/GMail/etc (including LAN sniffers and ISP) can get mailbox` login and password (!) in plain text. Second thing to make sure whether transmission is encrypted with TLS or SSL, otherwise anyone in route to GMX/GMail/etc (including LAN sniffers and ISP) can get received mails in plain text. SMTP encryption is a valuable thing also :slight_smile:

P.S.: I use IMAP + SSL (for SMTP also) to access GMail box.

I read about gmail dots and pluses feature.

It looks an excellent trick to create variation of the same email address and bind each those aliases to different sites and thus use it to identify the possible origin of unsolicited emails, regardless of the sender, and block (if unsolicited) or categorize it (if it is not spam) using filters.

Did you test it?

It looks like an interesting approach somewhat similar to the one possible with Otherinbox

Gmail web interface provides excellent and easy to use filters. I have approx 10 such filters to handle really annoying spammers. Most of them have following actions: forward to spamming address, then delete. Forwarding mails to different addresses is the feature my current mail client (Sylpheed) lacks, though it can create filters.

GMX can be accessed through POP3, IMAP, and it’s transmission is SSL encrypted. I’ve never used IMAP because POP3 works very well and I never saw a reason to try anything else.

GMX also can retrieve mail from other accounts and it scans all mail coming in or going out with Norton AV. It also has a very powerful spam filter. I don’t use the antispam feature for two reasons, I never get any (except at my little used Yahoo account) and I prefer to see all my mail and decide for myself what I want coming through to Outlook Express which is how I access all my mail.

Wouldn’t forwarding have spammers acknowledge that the email is active?

Tell users never to respond to spam e-mail messages. Sending a reply, even if it's a request to be taken off a list, confirms a user at an address and encourages the spammer to send more mail.

Though such approach had me thinking.

Though I don’t know how much effective could be but would it be possible to send an automated fake undelivered message or user unknown failure reply using gmail filters? >:-D

Tell users never to respond to spam e-mail messages. Sending a reply, even if it's a request to be taken off a list, confirms a user at an address and encourages the spammer to send more mail.

I have never had this happen. Everytime I have requested to be removed from a list, the emails have stopped. Including the rash of advertising spam I received in my gmx box after giving it as an alternative address while creating a Gmail account. I am now back to getting no spam at all. I do not trust Google.

I maybe mistakenly called them spammers. But for me they are. Who are they in my case?

1. Forum mailing system which send me advertizing stuff from 4 different emails. Totally unrelated to forum. They tell in the end of each letter: “log in into forum and change profile to opt out from emails”. But password for that forum is lost and they dont send me new pass to my email. I decided to forward all their letters back to them instead of contacting forum admin etc. That started 2 years ago and since then my 4 filters started to work :slight_smile:

2. Ubuntu Launchpad (2 filters). Once i signed for 2 bugs there. Then i wanted to opt out from notification emails but was unable to do this for whatever reason (cant tell at the moment).

3. One more forum. Unrelated advertizing content. I did not bother to log in there (in fact i forgot about this forum long ago), added a filter instead.

4. One sneaky organization with which i had business once hence they know my email address. Now their representative “recall” me from time to time by sending advertizing content. Did not want to bother to contact manager or prime manager or whoever to stop this, added a filter instead.

All mentioned filters forward mails back to their authors.

What makes me glad is that all that spam arrives to my secondary address which is linked to GMail :slight_smile:

Maybe you could email Brian Hook, TechRepublic who wrote that article featured on Zdnet pointing your individual experience and clear out eventual misunderstandings…

I guess it would be pointless top reply back to scam or drug ads and the likes requesting to be removed from their lists…

I guess it would be possible to assume a relation leveraging on a temporal relation, whereas it is not a reliable way to come to a conclusion, some might find it enough to justify mistrust.

Anyhow, in addition to spoofed senders in some cases the recipient could be also automatically generated.

Some spam is generated through attacks on mail servers, methods that don't rely on the collection of e-mail addresses at all. In "brute force" attacks and "dictionary" attacks, spam programs send spam to every possible combination of letters at a domain, or to common names and words. While these attacks can be blocked, some spam is likely to get through. In many cases, spam generated by these attacks will be directed to shorter e-mail address (like bob[at]domain.com) before it is directed to longer addresses (like bobwilliams[at]domain.com).

LOL I should email a guy about a 7 year old article when the laws regarding email spam have changed drastically since then and advertisers have to remove you if you request it.

And, it is highly suspicious that the advertising spam started immediately after creating the Gmail account. I suppose I can’t concretely prove the connection, but the coincidence is strong enough for me considering Google’s history in such things.

Sometimes I wished that those unsolicited senders would be better off to send emails each others just to have them realize the extent of such annoyances. ;D

Definitely :-TU

…“unsolicited senders” is probably better and softer definition for them ;D ;D ;D

Indeed coincidental occurrences often lead to error as the chronological order appears to be integral to causality eventually misleading people to confirm pre-judicial viewpoints but begging the question.

LOL I assumed you were aware that there is spam that do not comply with laws