Forum website problem -- Previous jumps to a different Topic

When reading a multi-page Topic and clicking the Previous button to go to the previous page, I have had more than one instance where the Forum software has jumped me to a different Topic.

Running Firefox 3.0.4 on Windows XP SP3. No known system issues.

John

p.s. Couldn’t find a better place to put this – sorry.

This is the board for these type of topics: https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_website_issues_for_submitting_website_problems_only-b46.0/

Hmmmm…I don’t get that problem

Wait…are you using these buttons? (see attached)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yes, albeit those at the bottom of the page.
These are hyperlinks, so the board software must have a problem of sometimes generating the wrong hyperlink.

I’ll post a new report to the correct forum – thanks.

John

When reading a multi-page Topic, and clicking the Previous link at the bottom of the page to go to the previous page, I have had more than one instance where the link has taken me to a different Topic. The board software apparently has a problem of sometimes generating the wrong hyperlink for Previous.

John
Firefox 3.0.4 on Windows XP SP3. No known system issues.

Well, I think it is supposed to go to the next topic. It always has done that for me, and I like it.

Well, I think it is supposed to go to the next topic. It always has done that for me, and I like it.

To go to a previous page, click the Page # on the bottom or top left.

Thanks. At the top that’s more or less clear, but at the bottom it’s in the same general area as the page numbers, and since the forum software has no other forward and back links, I assumed those were page (not topic) navigation links. The lack of page movement links (only page numbers) is unfortunate and confusing.

I think it would be better to also have page navigation links, often an array like
<< < > >> [first page, prior page, next page, last page]
and have changed the Subject of this follow-up accordingly.

John

John

I don’t think they can change it, as the forum is pre-built by Simple Machines.

Thanks. At the top that’s more or less clear, but at the bottom it’s in the same general area as the page numbers, and since the forum software has no other forward and back links, I assumed those were page (not topic) navigation links. I find the lack of page movement links (only page numbers) to be unfortunate and confusing.

I think it would be better to also have page navigation links, often an array like
<< < > >> [first page, prior page, next page, last page]
and have changed the Subject of this follow-up accordingly.

John

Perhaps there is a configuration option.
If not, it’s unfortunate that they didn’t use more capable software.

John

Board software works fine. If you desire to go back (as in pages you have displayed/read) why not use the browser back button (or as a lot of mice have included now, use the mouse back button located on the left by your thumb)? This is the preferred method I use and it is so much easier/quicker than looking for a link on the current page.

• Page navigation prior and next is a standard feature of better forum software, and with good reason:
  • Page forward and back are not the same thing as page prior and next – if you start on the last page (as I typically do), back won’t take you to the prior page, it will take you out of the topic entirely – with this software you have to click on the proper page number
  • Page navigation prior and next is easier and faster (for me at least) than finding and clicking the proper page number
  • There’s no page back button on most mice, mine included, and no page forward button either
  • I often use a TrackPoint, not a mouse

Any other ideas? :wink:
I respect your tastes. Please show equal respect for my tastes, especially when there’s no impact on you. Thanks.
John