Firewall write loop?

I’ve encountered a weird problem with Comodo firewall. Using v 3.8.65951.477. Running WinXP SP3.

Comodo firewall seemed to be operating fine until a few weeks ago.

Now, it will be operating w/o problems but after some extended time running, it appears to mysteriously get stuck in some sort of write loop to a hard drive (possibly the paging file which I have on a separate physical drive from Windows in its own partition). I hear the drive chattering away without pause. The only way to stop the problem is to reboot.

Using monitoring tools I have, when this problem occurs, I can see the write count and write byte total for the Comodo PID increase steadily. CPU utilization does not increase much but all disk I/O’s are slowed down (copying files, etc.).

By pausing the execution of the process, I was able to verify that yes, in fact, it was Comodo causing the problem. When I resume the process, the disk chattering always resumed.

I then used the Sysinternals Process Monitor to trap what Comodo was trying to do. I see repeating patterns (like it is stuck) but I am not technical enough to understand exactly what is happening from the log information.

The problem seems to involve this Windows DLL:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctf.dll

I have uploaded trace files here:
http://dropio.com/iamme99_Comodo1

State of Comodo w/o problem. Look at the 2nd Comodo entry and WRITE column
TiPanes Comodo after.htm (197 KB)

State of Comodo when problem is occurring
TiPanes Comodo before.htm (196 KB)

The same Process Explorer logfile in CSV and XML formats
ProcessEXP - Comodo Logfile.CSV (3 MB)
ProcessEXP - Comodo Logfile.XML (7 MB)

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this? Can anyone understand these Process Explorer trace files? Any suggestions as to how to fix the problem?

Edit to my OP. The labels are interchanged in the original. Corrected here:

State of Comodo w/o problem. Look at the 2nd Comodo entry and WRITE column
TiPanes Comodo before.htm (196 KB)

State of Comodo when problem is occurring
TiPanes Comodo after.htm (197 KB)

Can you run a chkdsk for the Windows and the pagefile partitions and see if that helps?

I did run CHKDSK. No issues discovered. If there were any problems with a hard drive hard drive, it would not be intermittent. Also, I would expect other apps to also be affected. But Comodo is the only app that is having the problem. Also, looking in the Disk Management section of Computer Management, all disk drives are “healthy”.

Comodo has been running 18 hours so far since the last reboot without the problem occurring yet.

I just moved your topic to the bugs board as this may be a bug.