Firewall update always fails

I could really use some help with this.

I’ve been running the free Comodo firewall for a couple of years with no problems. A few weeks ago a friend recommended that I also install Threatfire. After that, I discovered that updates to Comodo would crash. Some hunting on the Web revealed that the problem was Threatfire. I uninstalled Threatfire, but the updates still crashed.

So I uninstalled Comodo from Add/Remove Programs, and then ran the CIS cleanup utility. I downloaded the latest version, but it had all sorts of problems. It never accepted my answers about trusted programs trying to access the Web. It wouldn’t add trusted programs to the internal list, etc.

So I repeated the removal procedure and went back re-installing the old version (4.1.150349) and I got the firewall up and running. Then I tried to update it again. This time I got further, but it got to the point of “copying cfp.ico to new file” and remained there for an hour. Additionally, cfpupdat.exe was taking up a fair amount of CPU time. I couldn’t kill the process so I had to shut down the machine manually and go through the who removal and re-install process again.

I’m now running the original version successfully, but I can’t update the software. Any suggestions?

My configuration is as follows.

Windows XP3 32 bit with all updates
Intel I7 920 CPU
4 GB RAM
Gigabyte motherboard
Other software installed:
Spybot
Superantispyware
Malwarebytes
Microsoft Security Essentials

If you want you can try reinstalling threatifire and then uninstalling it using Revo Uninstaller Free. Then follow the advice I give here to reinstall CIS. Please let me know if this works or not.

Thanks.

Thanks. I came across your advice earlier.

I tried re-installing Threatfire, then un-installed both Threatfire and Comodo with Revo, and re-installed Comodo. Same problem. Updates failed.

Any other ideas?

Updating from 4.1 to 5.10 is as far as I know not possible. What’s keeping you from using the installer of 5.10.

Is MBAM only for on demand or do you also have it installed for on access monitoring?

I use MBAM on demand only. I used it simply to check cfpupdat.exe was not malware, a possibility that I found on the Web.

Comodo 4.1 keeps notifying me that updates are available. Whether these update 4.1 to 5+ or not I don’t know.

I tried to install the latest Comodo from scratch after uninstalling 4.1, but the installation only gets as far as extracting 4% of the file, freezes, crashes, and generates an Oops! message at which point I must close the window. I’ve tried this several times and it always crashes at the same 4% point. I’ve downloaded the latest version multiple times with the same result.

Can I live with 4.1 without updating and ignoring the update messages, or am I leaving myself open to attack? At this point I’d switch to Zonealarm, but its vsmon.exe function slowed my other machine to a crawl.

I strongly advice to install 5.10. The v5 series is doing a much better job with the sandbox compatibility and AV performance.

To successfully install 5.10 first uninstall 4.1, reboot and boot into safe mode and run this unofficial clean up tool. When done boot back into Windows.

Next step is to run clean up tools for all security programs you ever had installed. A list can be found here at Eset: ESET Knowledgebase . This is an important step as uninstallers may have left behind drivers or services of previously installed security programs.

Then try installing v5.10. Keep us posted on how it goes.

if you want to upgrade to the latest version of comodo i would follow this guide to completely uninstall CIS. Then download the latest version from here. If you want to keep 4.1 you can disable automatically check for updates under the more tab → settings.

I followed EricJH’s advice. Uninstalled Comodo, restarted in SAFE mode, ran the CIS cleaner, restarted in Windows, ran all of the cleaners that even looked familiar. Tried to install the latest version of Comodo and the same thing happened. It gets to 4% installed and gives the message “Dragonsetup.exe has encountered and error and must close.” I then spent half an hour re-installing 4.1, which works but still notifies me that updates are available.

I’m assuming that Dragon is newer than 4.1 and is causing the problem with something else in my system. If I can’t come up with a reason not to, I’ll just try to live with 4.1 and disable the automatic update notice.

The CIS installer also has the installers for Geekbuddy and Comodo Dragon browser. Unless you tell the installer not to install them it will install.

Start the CIS installer again and look under the " I agree and install" button for the “Customize installer” link and click on it. Now untick Dragon and then on Back to go back to the installer main screen. Now push the “Agree and install” button.

Keep us posted

That seems to have fixed the problem… mostly. I uninstalled 4.1, rebooted, ran the CIS cleaner, and installed the latest version, this time unchecking Geekbuddy and Dragon. The installation got to 100%, and when I received the notification to restart now or later, I got another popup from Windows with an Oops! saying that CIS had encountered an error and offered the opportunity to send a report. I didn’t.

It did, however, accept my hitting the restart button and seems to have installed properly after reboot. I can’t tell if the error encountered at the end is causing any problems or security deficiencies. So far it doesn’t seem so. I just wish that I knew what caused the latest error message and why my PC rejected Dragon.

@#$%#$!!! As I was typing this the same Oops! error message just popped up offering to show me the crash dump file. I canceled out of it. It looks like CIS is still operating. I hope that something isn’t disabled and that this won’t re-occur.

Thanks for the help.

A short update. The Oops! error seems to be triggered by attempts to update CIS. CIS gave me a message that it wanted to check for updates. I allowed it and got the error. Then I tried to manually check for updates. I immediately got the same error. It says that it’s still checking for updates after 10 minutes.

Oh well. I couldn’t get any updates before when I was using 4.1. At least now I have 5.10 and can’t get updates. That puts me ahead of the game.

If you have the time and energy please consider filing a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.

Reporting of bugs is strictly moderated to make sure Comodo gets clear bug reports. So, please make sure you closely follow protocol. That way your report will certainly be seen by Comodo staff.