Firewall set to "off" without the possibility to turn it back on [RESOLVED]

I’d like to know how to TOTALLY remove the firewall, since even uninstalling and then installing again does not fix this problem.

It works all fine, then after one reboot, all the services of the firewall were “off” and nothing happened when I pressed the “on” checkbox.

Reinstalling didn’t fix it.

What do I do.

Hi, Bullhorn, I would first suggest you look to other programs that may cause this as did for me. RC commander, Powerdesk, another firewall running, make sure XP firewall is not only off, but that the LAN check mark is gone in advanced options. There is some program that uses this type of feature like the above that will do this to your Comodo firewall. I did in fact uninstall RC commander after having this exact issue and all was well.

Cheers,

Paul

I have none of such programs installed.

What do you mean lan check? The check box with the “Local Area Connection”?

Well, I disabled it now. O_o

lol, yes that one, make sure it’s UN checked. :smiley:

Cheers,

Paul

I did that and it happened anyway. When it happened, I also couldn’t start the Windows Firewall service nor get an IP from my ISP. ipconfig showed and error.

I’m not sure, but HERE you can see a direct link to a HiJackThis logfile of my machine, maybe it can give a clue to the reason.

Bull Horn, the first thing I will mention here is the Flash get tool bar. There are some instances that are backdoors, some (very few)are ok. Most seem to be hijackers of BHO’s etc… If you didn’t put it there, I would suggest running Ewido, or delete the registry key. The other mention would be this, System mechanic and\or possibly Robo form, but mostly sys mechanic runs the same basic engine as Rc comander for backup\recovery. If plausable to you, uninstall system mechanic, restart, and then try your Comodo or uninstall the recovery option. One more mention, your drive is E: if you have two OSs or have Comodo on a different partition, move the install file to the active partition in this case, E: I would first say to scan with Ewido though and get rid of Flash tool bar.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Sounds good. I’ll get rid of System Mechanic, though I really don’t wish to lose the RoboForm as it is a very comfortable application.

My active partition is C: but I only use it for Windows. If it really matters this much, I’ll install it to C:.

I’ll get back to you once I’m done with everything. :slight_smile:

-EDIT: Doing the ewido scan as we speak.

Just to clear a few smoke puffs, you don’t have to get rid of sys mechanic , this is to test to see if in fact it is blocking it. The robo form may not use this but once again, just for troubleshooting. You should make sure the DOWNLOADED COMODO EXE file is in fact ON C:, and installed on C:.

Let me know,
Thanks,

Paul

Hi Comicfan,

Must the firewall be installed on C? My C is getting full and I was thinking of putting it on E. I’ve DL but not installed so I’m not in a technical bind.

Thanks

K2B

OK, here’s a new HijackThis log. That’s what I get after installing CPF and rebooting. Half the processes didn’t even start and even though I uninstalled System Mechanic and used ewido to remove some of those BHO’s, it didn’t work anyway.

Ok , there is some confusion here. I would first add that I see Miranda.exe. If many programs didn’t start, it may very well be due to being latched to spyware, viruses, etc…shared if you will. Also the only BHO to delete or do and uninstall of would be the tool bar mentioned.

This taken from a site…This threat copies its file(s) to your harddisk. Its typical file name is Miranda IM . Then it creates new startup key with name Miranda IM and value miranda32.exe . You can also find it in your processes list with name miranda32.exe or Miranda IM .

In my opinion , from what I see on your drive\s , I would seriously run a thorough virus scan and see what it finds. Also from doing this so often, IF in fact infected badly, I would back up all my important info and simply do a fresh install. Or do a sys restore with your sys mechanic back in tact and back up info and see if you can restore to a prior state when all was well.

You will in fact be running into all sorts of problems and the kicker is, if badly enough infected, even if getting rid of viruses\trojans, etc…it may destroy good files in the process which for some can take a long time to repair. Which is why I would suggest a reinstall. But be warned, when backing up info, you can transfer a virus to your disks., etc…

Before going into all this, can you do a virus scan and let me know the results? Also what anti-virus do you use?

Thanks,

Paul

I wanted to try the CAV but I’ll just stick to NOD32 for now.

Miranda IM is an IM client, I use it to connect to MSN, ICQ and AIM at the same time. Weeeeird. O_O

Also, I just reformated all my HDDs less than a week ago and was looking for a new firewall, since Sygate isn’t as good as it used to be.

Ok , I understand what miranda is already, with the miranda IM, it’s fine, with the miranda32.exe, is when it’s a problem.
You seem to have some issues here. Let’s just go one step at a time. Do a virus scan and see what crops up. This is why I mentioned before going into all this since there is always a chance for recovery and either way, you need to go to add\remove programs and get rid of that toolbar.

Thanks,

Paul

To be honest, I never even saw that toolbar. It came with FlashGet and I wasn’t even prompted to install it, but it seems to be there… somewhere.

I don’t really wish to dump FlashGet, unless I can find something better or at least as good. Can you suggest me some program?

Virus scanning as we speak.

-EDIT: Virus scanning gave no results, the machine is clean. Uninstalling FlashGet now and waiting for a suggestion for a different download manager.

Virus scan clean, good sign although I would like to say, many items you have are BORDERLINE to say the least. I still question the miranda as most say with the miranda32.exe is fine, miranda im is fine, but when combined in list, is a virus. If companies don’t know for sure, I guess we can’t either. As far as download managers, I would go to download.com or softpedia. You will find something there. I am not trying to be pushy here but since you said you reformatted your drives that soon, how is it you are running out of room? Please understand, the more info given the more I can help. I would then get your system back to the way you want it, but remember, Comodo must be on C:, and you can’ t have a copy file on E: either . Just C:/ . The reason I say this is because i ran into this as well, had to completely move from my E: to my C: with no copy of exe on E: . My guess is this, either try removing a program at a time, and try comodo, see which is causing this, or get the beta version and try that. It has been working great for me. I still think that if you filled your drive, you have a lot of downloading going on from less than good sources and have some bad programs, or your drive is in fact very small. THis is typical of this situation not saying it is in fact yours you understand. This is getting more confusing, lol.

If I am missing anything here, please throw it at me.

Thanks,

Paul

I never said I’m low on space… The HDD is almost free, except one partition that has lots of .RARed applications that I copied from my DVDs.

Now that FlashGet is gone and I cleaned the registery (hopefully) from anything related to it, I’ll try installing Comodo again.

Btw, I get this same problem both with Comodo 2.2 and Comodo 2.3beta.

lolll my bad, there was another post that snuck in and didn’t see the avatar amongst our posts, loll. Your drive is not full, got it…it’s from Knot2brite…

Hi Comicfan,

Must the firewall be installed on C? My C is getting full and I was thinking of putting it on E. I’ve DL but not installed so I’m not in a technical bind.

Thanks

K2B

Yes, you have to. loll . Sorry , you snuck it in on me, no wonder I was so confused from that statement. :smiley:

It happens to the best of us I guess.

Cheers,

Paul

Ok, back to reality , whew! As I said, this is some program doing this that is on your system. You need to find which one as did I. Your anti virus may also be causing this issue. To do this, unhook from internet, uninstall it, restart, run Comodo and rehook to internet for a bit to see if it works. If you really wan’t to brave the waters, uninstall anything you don’ t need, make sure you have all XP updates, and then try Comodo. I seriously think a program issue if no virus, assuming your anti-virus is up to date and decent. I still have doubts but we’ll go from here.

Cheers, sorry bout the mix up,

Paul

Sure, no problem.

It’s not the antivirus, I already uninstalled it once and tried the firewall without it.

I have too many programs… Uninstalling them all is pretty much the same as reinstalling Windows. Hmmpf.

Btw, on this reboot I loaded the task manager and I noticed one weird thing: I see some of my programs load and then dissapear. I get no IP from DHCP Client. I can’t start the Windows Firewalls/ICS. Obviously, I can’t connect to the internet and last but not least, uninstalling the firewall doesn’t help. I have to use System Restore after each installation in order to connect to the internet and come post here.

I would say you do have some issue here. I noticed the problems from the hijack log. Try this, go to START \RUN type CMD. Then in the CMD box type ipconfig /release then after complete type in ipconfig /renew notice the space between ipconfig and / sign. Let me know what happens.

Paul

To add, also go into network places, view net connections, right click and try a repair this connection. Restart the computer and see what happens.