firewall question, help please, i just installed this yesterday(9-3-11)

ok, some pc specs first.

dell dimension 2400, windows xp home sp3.
60 gig hard drive, 2 gigs of ram, 6 year old pc.

browsers i use are FF, google chrome, opera ( why so many, i like trying differant things out).

i have yet to play with the settings, right now the settings are what they are when i installed this last night.
fire wall is in safe mode.

and i’m using firewall only at the moment.

the program looks way differant from the last time i used it.

is their a setting i should change or something to make this better, or is the default setting good for now ?.

any idea’s.

also i think this is funny, when i was just using the “windows fire wall” my browsers was kinda slow acting,
now that i have Comodo firewall installed , my browsers are much faster, load faster, act faster,
why is that ?.

i thank all those who reply back to me.

You noticed the firewall looks different. What version was the last you had installed before this? Was it part of the v3 or v4 series?

4 series ,

The quickest change, and one of the best changes, is to right click on the CIS system tray icon, select CONFIGURATION and then select COMODO - PROACTIVE SECURITY.

Making this change removes a few rules that are, IMHO, overly generalized and introduces and handful more monitoring points. Itmay make CIS a little bit more “chatty”, but this will oly last a day or two, or until you have started all your regular applications at least once.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

ok, i set it too proactive security , and it froze my pc like 5 times , but i some how was able to set it back to where is was as the pc was starting up in safe mode, (pressing f8 key) , i mean it froze my pc solid, the next step would of been to reformat my hard drive, my system even popped up saying it was going to shut down in 35 seconds, i dont know about this comodo , lol, so its back in firewall(safe mode) setting for now in comodo

Did you by any change have enabled the following two settings:
Block all unknown requests if the application is closed
Enable adaptive mode under low system resources

i did not touch any setting, i was told to try switching over to proactive security, thats all i did.

May be left overs of previously installed security programs are in the way. Please make sure no left over of them are in the way.

Try using removal tools for those programs. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

When the above does not help. Can you post a screenshot of the D+ logs (View Defense + Events) of around the time your computer froze?

i looked at the logs and nothing listed and i have been using avast for 2 years now, have been using windows firewall after i dumped comodo 2 years ago. so i thought i give it another chance.

the only other firewall i used besides windows firewall, was comodo. there are no other left overs from other products, i know how to clean the registry.

i will just play with this on my own, sorry i wasted every ones time.

maybe i might keep this comodo installed or maybe i might dump it all over again.

i think this topic is closed.
sorry folks

Check out this post on how to successfully mix Avast and CIS: https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/using-comodo-internet-security-with-avast-free-t73832.0.html;msg526088#msg526088 .