Firewall Option to Lock Hosts File

Hello,

Does CFW have an option to lock the Hosts file? If it does, I can’t find it.

hlb

No, CPF does not currently have that ability. But, you can always add it to the CPF Wish List.

I would imagine that this will be covered in the release of CAVS2 which will incorporate HIPS. Host file monitoring is an integral part of any HIPS, so it should be there.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Not really as what if he chooses to use another product besides CAVS

Hello,

Kempo is absolutely correct. I think the better place to lock the hosts file is with the firewall because its job is connections to the internet and because the hosts file can be used to over-ride host name resolution.

hlb

I stand corrected. :wink: I noticed that Kishork has posted some screenshots of CAVS 2.0. IT shows the HIPS setup and it appears to be application-centric, rather than focussing on O/S entry vectors. Hopefully they’ll build in entry vector monitoring into a future release CPF.

Could you please add this to the CPF wishlist?

Thanks in advance,
Ewen :slight_smile:

I have added the request to the wishlist. (:KWL)

Thanks.

hlb

I would have said CAVS although after reading this post, I’m not sure now ???. Which ever application this is added too, it’s a nice feature.

:slight_smile:

Hello Graham1,

As I indicated earlier in the thread, it should be added to the firewall. I already added it to the firewall wishlist.

hlb