Firewall On Different Browsers

First of all, I am new here and I am not here where to post this thread so do move it to the appropriate venue.

1. How do you specify stealth mode blocking for certain PORTS and NOT ip addresses?

2. After I install comodo, do I disable windows firewall? Is it a necessity? If I do so, there will be a windows security alert. If I dont, I read somewhere that the firewall settings will clash

3. How is comodo better compared to windows firewall?

4. I did port scanning separately for my Firefox browser and IE. They both gave different results. In firefox, the https port is indicated as open. However, in IE there are no open ports (although some are being used). Does this have anything to do with the firewall?

Any replies are appreciated.

Welcome to the forum hitman :slight_smile:

1) How do you specify stealth mode blocking for certain PORTS and NOT ip addresses?

Open CIS
Select Firewall
Select Common Tasks
Select Block All Incoming Connections Stealth my Ports to Everyone

2) After I install comodo, do I disable windows firewall? Is it a necessity? If I do so, there will be a windows security alert. If I dont, I read somewhere that the firewall settings will clash

CIS Integrates with the windows options and should disable the firewall. You don’t need or want to run both in parallel, doing so is likely to cause conflicts.

3) How is comodo better compared to windows firewall?
The short answer is simply that when you install CIS you are installing more than just a firewall. CIS, in addition to a firewall, which provides far greater protection and control than the standard Windows firewall, you are also getting HIPs (Host Intrusion Prevention) in the shape of defence+.

You are also getting Comodo Memory Firewall (CMF) and BOClean. These used to be separate products but the technologies have been incorporated into CIS.

Last but not least you are getting a robust AV which had in excess of 5,000,000 signatures.

4) I did port scanning separately for my Firefox browser and IE. They both gave different results. In firefox, the https port is indicated as open. However, in IE there are no open ports (although some are being used). Does this have anything to do with the firewall?

I would need to know more about the method you used to make these scans, I would also need to know if you use a router or not.

Hope that helps.

Select Firewall Select Common Tasks Select Block All Incoming Connections Stealth my Ports to Everyone

Hi! I did just that. Will this be a hindrance if I am using P2P connection? Anyway, I am asking the solutions to stealth certain ports from the public… not everything.

CIS Integrates with the windows options and should disable the firewall. You don't need or want to run both in parallel, doing so is likely to cause conflicts.

Do I disable windows firewall manually? Or is it automatically? What is the correct solution?

I would need to know more about the method you used to make these scans, I would also need to know if you use a router or not.

Of course I use a router. The program I am using is GRC ShieldsUp! The main website is at http://www.grc.com
This is the link to the service port probe Shields UP!! — System Error.

Here are the results for my IE browser:

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2009-06-09 at 12:57:09

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open

1019 Ports Closed
37 Ports Stealth

1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

Ports found to be STEALTH were: 0, 157, 184, 199, 203, 205,
224, 231, 235, 237, 250, 268,
279, 280, 378, 433, 445, 475,
635, 690, 718, 725, 832, 835,
838, 852, 895, 977, 978, 979,
988, 992, 1024, 1029, 1043,
1050, 1055

Other than what is listed above, all ports are CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

and here the results for my Firefox browser: note that it was running TOR

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2009-06-09 at 13:03:37

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

1 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed

1055 Ports Stealth

1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be CLOSED.

The port found to be OPEN was: 22

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

Replies are much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi! I did just that. Will this be a hindrance if I am using P2P connection? Anyway, I am asking the solutions to stealth certain ports from the public... not everything.

Block everything, then open ports to allow those programs that you need to communicate.

Of course I use a router

The the scans you are running are against your router and not CIS. if you wish to test CIS against these scans you will need to take your router out of the equation.

To train your firewall to open ports for p2p programs for examples open Stealth Ports Wizard and choose “Alert me to incoming connections stealth my ports on a per case basis”.

To answer your question concerning Windows firewall, CIS does not always disable it during installation. You should manually check to ensure the Windows firewall is disabled.

Is it okay to disable windows firewall AFTER installation then ?

Thanks.

You can disable the Windows firewall manually either before or after installation of CIS. You will not get a warning from the Security Center because the Comodo firewall is recognized by it.

By the way, I run the shields up test with Internet Explorer and it tells me all my ports are stealthed except for 113 which is closed. When installing CIS , all I did was tell it to accept the detected network. It seems that everybody gets a different result from that test. I suspect it depends on the brand of router you are using. My router is a cheapie walmart special NR041 Network Everywhere 4 port wired router by Linksys which I’m pretty sure does not have a hardware firewall other than NAT.