firewall not allowing connection to trusted zone

Hi all,

I am trying the CIS latest version and I stumbled upon an issue with firewall configuration -

I have LAN interface, WiFi interface in 2 PCs and I have them both set as not trusted (when I was presented a window about new network interface I have not selected any of two checkboxes). These two zones are not mentioned in blocked zones.

I have configured another 2 zones LAN-Trusted with explicitly told IP addresses and WiFi zone with explicitly mentioned IP addresses. In stealth wizard I have set to trust these 2 trusted zones.

I have done this settings according to forum posts: https://forums.comodo.com/frequently_asked_questions_faq_for_comodo_firewall/how_to_protect_your_wifilan-t361.0.html

and

https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v2/comodo_blocks_wifi-t10180.0.html;msg73965

but no joy.

Mostly connection works after boot up but after some time the trusted zone connection is blocked somehow automatically.

Can you show us the Global rules for your set up? They can be found under Firewall → Advanced → Computer security policy → Global rules. Also show us your Application rules for System. The application rules are in the same window as the other rules but under the other tab.

Hi Eric,

please see bellow.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Your setup looks fine as far as I can see.

Can you give me the description of your Lan Trusted and Wifi Trusted?

I see you are using a proxy program. What happens when you temporarily disable it?

Hi Eric,

proxy is not running. I run it only occasionally for couple of minutes.

The LAN-Trusted has following IPs:

The WiFi-Trusted has following IPs:

What are the IP addresses of your router and your modem? I think they may be not part of the trusted network and therefore blocking you access to the net.

Hi Eric,

IP address of router is 192.168.0.1 and it is added to WiFi-Trusted.

Can you post screenshots of your two trusted zones?

Hi Eric,

please see the screenshot

A closer look at your global rules learns me that there is one rule missing. The one that allows outgoing traffic. Look at this screenie. It is the rule saying Allow IP out from IP any to IP Any where protocol is any.

Hi Eric,

I added the mentioned rule, but it was not enough to solve my issue.

Can you look under Application Rules and see if the allow out rule you added is also applied under System?

Hi Eric,

it was not there, so I added it. But it still isn’t working :frowning:

G’day,

Couple of questions -

1. Do your NICs (wired or wifi) have static addresses or do they acquire an address by DHCP from your router?

2. Did you define the zones by address range or by netmask?

3. Are there any relevant entries in the logs when the connections are dropped?

Re. Q1 (above), if your PCs get their address by DHCP, how are you sending addresses in both the 192.168.0 and 192.168.98 subnets from the one DHCP server?

Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi Ewen,

1. Do your NICs (wired or wifi) have static addresses or do they acquire an address by DHCP from your router?
  • my NICs have static addresses; I don;t use DHCP service
  1. Did you define the zones by address range or by netmask?
  • the zones (WiFi-Trusted and LAN-Trusted) are defined by IPs, every explicitly told, no netmask used
  1. Are there any relevant entries in the logs when the connections are dropped?
  • only 1 side (Comodo under XP SP3 has no entries in its logs, Comodo under Vista SP1 is blocking connections)

And strange is that sometimes connections work and sometimes not.
Connection from XP to Vista is always blocked
Connection from Vista to XP is sometimes blocked.
The behavior is erratic and I can’t find any pattern in it - when is it blocking and when is it allowing connection. The only way how to make it work until now was to disable Comodo firewall under Vista.

If you disable the wifi cards on both PCs and only use wired connections, does the problem go away? If not, try enabling the wifi cards on both and disabling the wired NICs.

I’ve suggested this to try and reduce the problem to a base level. If we can get it reliably working on one kind of NIC or the other and the problem reoccurs when dual NICs are enable, then at least we know where to start digging.

My gut feeling is that it is tied up with A) the dual /NIC setup, B) the varying subnetting used, C) Vista just being a pig (not unheard of ^_^) or D) all of the above.

As I suggested, see if you can get it working with a single comms medium to start with.

Cheers,

P.S> Why do you have dual NICs if Windows can’t bind an app to a particular NIC? Just curious.

Hi Ewen,

If you disable the wifi cards on both PCs and only use wired connections, does the problem go away?

• when I use only LAN it works fine.
  • when I use only WiFi, it does not work fine.

My gut feeling is that it is tied up with
A) the dual /NIC setup,

• I have only 1 NIC at a time active. I do not use both concurrently.

B) the varying subnetting used,

• only CIS coders can confirm this…

C) Vista just being a pig (not unheard of Laugh) or

• …nothing new…

WiFi connection is for internet access. Via LAN laptop (XP) is only sometimes connected with PC (Vista).

G’day,

Since you only use one NIC at a time, A and B are irrelevant.

The only way how to make it work until now was to disable Comodo firewall under Vista.

I think the focus needs to be on the Vista box. Can you clear the firewall logs, make all existing rules logging (by selecting “Log as a firewall event if this rules is fired”), run the two PCs using Wifi until the connection fails and then export the firewall logs if there is anything pertinent in them and then post the exported logs back here.

Cheers,

Hi Ewen,

please see the export.

G’day,

Can you please provice the following bits of info;

Vista PC
IP address
Netmask
Deault gateway

XP PC
IP address
Netmask
Deault gateway

Router
IP address

I need this info to make sense of the posted logs. Sorry, I should have asked for these with the report.

Cheers,