Firewall Importance

Hi,

I have a wireless router wich has a firewall. Do I still need a firewall on my OS like the Comodo?
If yes, why? What are the principal advantages of having a software firewall?

Thank you all.

Greetings,

First of all, there’s a difference between a software firewall(like Comodo) and a hardware firewall(router).

Hardware firewall usually uses packet filtering to examine the header of a packet to determine its source and destination. This information is compared to a set of predefined or user-created rules that determine whether the packet is to be forwarded or dropped. It might also include protection against DoS-attacks. Hardware firewall are easy to use(just plug in) and default rule are fine for good protection. Hardware firewalls only offer inbound protection only.

A software firewall will protect your computer from outside attempts to control or gain access your computer(hackers), and some protects against worms and trojans. Many software firewalls have user defined controls for setting up a list of safe applications that’s allowed to communicate over the Internet. Software firewalls only protects a single computer, compare to a hardware firewall that’s able to protect a whole network. Software firewall offers outbound protection, which hardware firewalls doesn’t.

So the best protection is to use both a hardware firewall and a software firewall. So I strongly recommend you to download Comodo firewall, it’s the best one out there, free or paid!

Ragwing

Thank you for the answer.

(R)

No problem, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask me(or someone else) :wink:

Ragwing