Firewall Control Box (splash screen) opens at startup since last version update

The subject title says it all. Since the version update (yesterday or day before), the standalone Firewall dialog box is opening at startup. Where is that controlled from? It’s a simple thing, but I don’t see anything under Settings for that. Thanks.

Comodo PF 3.8.64739.471
XP/SP3

u dont your firewall to trun on, on start up? just go to setting in miscellaneous
if thats what u are asking

I think he means that the SPLASH window opens up and stays on screen when one boots up. That is new behaviour with this update and I cannot find a way to minimize or turn that off. It is quite annoying.

kmack
“I hate to get beat by a computer!”

Exactly. Dialogue box, splash screen, control screen, whatever you want to call it, its behavior shouldn’t have changed with an update and there should be a setting to turn it off. It’s not in the Startup folder. Must be a bug.

I too have experienced this.
I thought it might be specific to my computer, but from this post it appears that others are experienceing it also. 88)
I’ll be watching for a possible answer/solution.

A laptop I have with an earlier update does not act this way, further casting suspect on the update.

I don’t see a Moderator jumping into this thread. Does Comodo know about it?

it’s an older issue, but not necessarily the same problem.
With 3.5, it was the -h switch in the startup command was missing.

It stopped!

After applying 2 Windows updates, I restarted Windows and realized that I didn’t see the splash screen.

Thinking that the problem was corrected by the updates, I decided to check further by doing a cold boot and the splash screen appeared again.

In subsequent cold boots, the splash screen may or may not appear. Eventually it just didn’t appear regardless of the way I started Windows.

I’m unaware of anything I might have done to change this behavior.

In the process of investigating and trying to figure out what might be causing the splash screen. I looked at the registry and discovered that in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run that there were 2 entries that opened cfp.exe with the -h parameter.
They were identified as "Comodo Firewall Pro and Comodo Internet Security.
Since I only have COMODO Firewall Pro, I began to question of there was an unnecssary entry in the Registry.
Even though the problem seems to be solved, I’d like to know if anyone knows if the Comodo Internet Security entry is necessary?

I’ll be away for a few days, but will try when I have internet access check to see if there is any more on this subject.

I don’t know the answer, but the entries are in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, and both of mine have the -h switch, too.

Seems to me there should only be one. I have seen this somewhere before on here, but don’t see it now.
If you installed CIS, but (if I understand you correctly) use only the firewall, then delete the Comodo Firewall Pro entry. You should be safe with that.

I use the Firewall, so I eliminated the CIS entry, restarted and no Control Box. Will have to see if that was lucky or meaningfull.

If everything is behaving properly, Great.
Glad I could help.

Since I’m here checking out the same problem with my system, and just to keep it interesting, (and perhaps we’ll learn something), I’m going to disable the Firewall entry and see if it helps.

I’ll let you know what I find.

OK, an update. I disabled the COMODO Firewall Pro c:\program files\comodo\firewall\cfp.exe
from starting with Autoruns, cold booted and no splash screen this time. Yes, it did have the -h switch, both entries had the -h switch.
COMODO Internet Security c:\program files\comodo\firewall\cfp.exe

So apparently, if you have two entries for cfp.exe, the second one actually opens the program, because the first one is already running in the systray.

Marc

As posted elsewhere I’m also getting the splash screen at startup since my CFP got updated to CIS (installed firewall only), now on 3.8.65951.477. In C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall there’s one entry for cfp.exe, desktop icon still CFP. I’ve got 2 cfp entries in msconfig startup, and the following 2 entries in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:

COMODO Firewall Pro: “C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cfp.exe” -h

COMODO Internet Security: “C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cfp.exe” -h

Given the above info it seems to me CIS entry is superfluous, but posts by romath(deleted CIS) and mtz1of4 (deleted/disabled CFP) show conflicting resolutions. As I don’t like messing with registry could someone please confirm which entry to delete here.

Thanks.

Delete the Comodo Firewall Pro (first) entry (that is the one I would remove).

That did it, thanks JB. :slight_smile:

Just curious, why? Since I’m using the firewall only, I deleted the CIS entry and so far no problem that I’m aware of.

Both are the same, just a different entry. I only suggested removing the older one as that is what I would do.

I’m back at the desktop (DT) that I posted about.

Upon my return I found that the splash screen was now appearing again.

Reading about 2 different possible ways to correct this, I decided to investigate further.
Since I have a laptop (LT) that didn’t have the COMODO update and was not displaying the splash screen, I decided to search both computers registries to see if there was a noticable difference.

To quickly summerize, the DT had CIS entries and the LT didn’t.
I backed up the registry on the DT and removed only the CIS entry from the \Run folder.
Rebooting the computer several times since resulted in no splash screen appearing. So far so good!

Then on the LT, I backed up the registry and applied the COMODO update.
When the LT boots, no splash screen.
I checked the LT registry and sure enough the CIS entries are there.
Since there was no problem (splash screen) I didn’t do anything to the LT.

It looks like the update added the entries to the registry, but I don’t have the slightest idea why the splash screen didn’t appear like on the DT.
Since Firewall Plus and Internet Security are 2 different programs, I wonder why the firewall update added what appear to be CIS entries to the registry.

More questions than answers, but it is great to be able to exchange information in an attempt to resolve a problem.

Thanks for all the help

Experiencing the same issues I would appear to have successfully resolved matters by using Revouninstaller to remove Comodo.
I did not reboot when requested but allowed Revo to complete its uninstall cycle and remove all leftover entries… and then rebooted.
Reinstalled Comodo … and no splash screen.

Oddly enough I installed CFP and when I initially opened the GUI is said Comodo Firewall Pro.
I then ran the updater and rebooted and now it only shows Comodo Firewall .
Should it do that ?