Firewall Changes IP address

Hi,

Just recently I re-installed Comodo Firewall onto my main PC. After restarting my computer as told to, I found that I was unable to connect to the internet. After checking the IP address in the firewall, it read something along the lines of 169.254.214.116, which is strange because my Netgear Router handles all IP addresses on my netwrok. I have a Netgear RANGEMAX router that automatically assigns IP address’ to the apporpriate computers.

What is strange, is all that all other computers on the network are working just fine, but the PC I just installed Comodo on refuses to find the right IP address. If I manually enter the IP address from the LAN Properties (TCP/IP) I can get my router to pick up my computer on the network, but I still can not connect to the internet.

Having tried everything I know how, I un-installed the firewall. Now my computer is locked with this strange IP address and I frankly have no idea of what to do to re-connect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
KMSG

G’day,

CFP isn’t changing your IP address, it simply hasn’t been configured to allow traffic from your DHCP server (router) yet.

If you have a network adaptor that does not have a static IP address and a DHCP server does not / cannot assign an IP address to it, Windows will assign an address in the 169.254.X.X range to the adaptor simply to “keep it alive”.

To overcome this problem (using CFP 2.4), create a zone covering the IP addresses used on your LAN (including that of your router/DHCP server) and then set that zone as trusted. This will insert two rules into the network monitor that will allow traffic to/from address in the nominated range.

Until this is done, the router is unable to assign it an IP address.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi,

I’ll try that again. The thing is that I uninstalled the firewall, and the problem still has not corrected itself. That is the strange part, ever since uninstalling the firewall I still have not been able to connect to the router.

Thanks, I’ll download comodo again and re-set the zones.

Thanks,
KMSG