firewall blocks INTERNET if I leave PC for more than 3min.

This is an annoying fault. I have have to turn off / on router to regain INTERNET access as nothing else works. I’m using the firewall only, nothing else and have made no adjustments from standard settings.

This is the second time I have installed Comodo [V3] after a clean re-install of my xp-2 OS. It had the same fault the first time too [V2].I have done recent updates, but that hasn’t fixed the problem. It’s very annoying as my wife’s PC is also hooked up to the same router and turning router off/on cuts here off the INTERNET.

Which CFP3 build are you using? Router type? Wired or wireless connections? Anything in the CFP firewall log? Other security software and any log information? Also, do you lose your IP address in the process? Usually you can go to your adapter and click “renew” instead of cycling the router if so.

Failing DHCP perhaps?

You’re rebooting your router? CFP should have zip to do with your router… Sded’s questions are quite relevant regarding what kind of router, as rebooting your router makes it sound like a router hardware problem.

Hey, this could be my problem too 88) :frowning:

I use a plain Dlink wired router and never had any issues with it. I’m not too techie but I have used other firewalls and never had this cut-off problem except with Comodo V2 and now with V3. There are no ‘events’ showing or any other problems.

I’ve tried disconnecting the router from my wife’s PC but it makes no difference.

Anything in CFPs Firewall Events Log Aka?

What is the Dlink router model? There might be something in their web site documentation that could give some insight to a settings conflict. With the model, I can eyeball their documentation.

No, nothing.

D-link DSL-502T ADSL Router. I upgraded the firmware when I first bought it as it didn’t work properly out of the box. Never had a problem with it.

That’s a nice router. Checking the Dlink Australia site, and looking at the manual, I’ve got two questions.

First, The router has a USB and an Ethernet port. How is the router connected to the two PC’s that you have? The usual configuration is thru the Ethernet port, but I don’t want to make any assumptions about how you’ve got things wired up.

Second, the router has an internal logging facility (login to the router, the Status tab, the “log” button). Find an instance of when you had to reboot the router, and see what’s in the log. Could be nothing is there, or could be a hint at something else. If you’re not sure, save the log to your PC, and post it here (on the forum posting page, it’s Additional Options, and attach a file)

grue155 ,

My PC is connected through USB port and the wife’s is connected to the ethernet port [there is only 1 of each]. This also saves having to buy a hub.

“Second, the router has an internal logging facility (login to the router, the Status tab, the “log” button). Find an instance of when you had to reboot the router, and see what’s in the log. Could be nothing is there, or could be a hint at something else. If you’re not sure, save the log to your PC, and post it here (on the forum posting page, it’s Additional Options, and attach a file)”

I don’t know how to do that: log into the router[?]

In most devices I’ve worked with, it’s pick one or the other. That’s why I asked about your setup. Knowing that you’re going thru a USB adapter rather than an Ethernet port might make a difference in how CFP is doing its work.

From the D-Link manual, page 17,

Login to Home Page

To use the web-based management software, launch a suitable web browser and direct it to the IP address of the Router. Type in http:// followed by the default IP address, 10.1.1.1 in the address bar of the browser. The URL in the address bar should read: http://10.1.1.1.

A dialog box prompts for the User Name and Password. Type in the default User Name “admin”, and the default Password “admin” then click the OK button to access the web-based manager.

That should get you into the router. Since you ask the question, I’m presuming then that the router is running standard factory defaults for everything. That’s not necessarily good security, as this is a very capable router with a CFP like firewall filter facility.

grue155 ,

Router is running standard factory defaults for everything.

Total LOG:
Jan 1 12:00:12> Valid Configuration Tree
Jan 1 12:00:13> NTP Polling Timer for DHCP Started succesfully.
Jan 1 12:00:13> DSL Polling Timer Started succesfully.
Jan 1 12:00:13> doing modulation_set.
Jan 1 12:00:13> Firewall NAT service started
Jan 1 12:00:15> starting on port 80
Jan 1 12:00:15> Bridge Created: br0
Jan 1 12:00:16> Bridge Created: br1
Jan 1 12:00:16> Bridge Interface Added: eth0
Jan 1 12:00:17> Bridge Interface Added: usb0
Jan 1 12:00:23> DSL Carrier is down
Jan 1 12:00:43> DSL Carrier is up
Jan 1 12:00:44> pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Jan 1 12:00:44> Got connection: 2b1b
Jan 1 12:00:44> Saved Session ID: 0
Jan 1 12:00:44> Connecting PPPoE socket: 00:90:1a:a0:6f:d5 2b1b nas0 0x1000d388
Jan 1 12:00:44> Connect: ppp0 {–} nas0
Jan 1 12:00:45> WAN IP address 121.44.237.24
Jan 1 12:00:45> WAN gateway 150.101.212.44
Jan 1 12:00:45> primary DNS address 192.231.203.132
Jan 1 12:00:45> secondary DNS address 192.231.203.3
Jan 1 12:00:46> PPPoE Connect with IP Address 121.44.237.24
Jan 1 12:00:46> PPPoE Connection Successfully Established
Jan 1 12:00:46> PPPoE Connect with Gateway IP Address: 150.101.212.44

This is interesting…

Jan 1 12:00:15> Bridge Created: br0 Jan 1 12:00:16> Bridge Created: br1 Jan 1 12:00:16> Bridge Interface Added: eth0 Jan 1 12:00:17> Bridge Interface Added: usb0

Jan 1 12:00:45> WAN IP address 121.44.237.24
Jan 1 12:00:46> PPPoE Connect with IP Address 121.44.237.24

It looks like your router isn’t running as a router, but is running as a bridge. What that means, is that only one of your two PC’s can be on the Internet at a time. If you want more than one PC connected at a time, then you’ll need to configure your router as a router.

The easy way to do that, according to the D-Link manual, is to login to the router, select the “Home” tab, and run the “Setup Wizard”. Then your router will be facing the Internet, and providing DHCP addresses to both of your PC’s.

I would suggest reading over the router manual first, to get a sense of what is going on. It’s probably on a CD that came in the box. At worst, you can download it from the dlink.com.au site. It’s a 4.2meg PDF, at 91 pages.

Well that created total hell [configuring my router] but I don’t think it was your fault. After doing ‘set up wizard’ I was firewalled from all connections including dial-up. I suspected comodo so I ended up doing a re-install of windows. I was still firewalled and my ISP provider couldn’t fix the problem. I have now a least got dial-up and it will be 2to 3 days to try and sort out what happened to my broadband.

Oh my… That kind of mess shouldn’t have happened.

Let me suggest some things to try with the router.

Since it was running in it’s default configuration before all this happened, then the easy way to restore that original factory setting is to press the “reset” button on the back of the router. As described in the D-Lnik manual, page 14:

Factory Reset Button

The Router may be reset to the original factory default settings by depressing the reset button for a few seconds while the device is powered on. Use a ballpoint or paperclip to gently push down the reset button. Remember that this will wipe out any settings stored in flash memory including user account information and LAN IP settings. The device settings will be restored to the factory default IP address 10.1.1.1 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, the default management Username is “admin” and the default Password is “admin.”

As the default seems to have been to run as a bridge, then that should get you back to being a bridge. That’s assuming that no one had explicitly set up a bridge. In my experience, routers come up as routers, not as a bridge

The router does have some diagnostic tools that can tell you if it is properly connected. If the router diagnostics say something isn’t right, then whatever your PC is configured as doesn’t matter. The router has to be working first, then move on to the PC setup.

On the router, there is a “Tools” tab, there is a “Test” button. This will give you a pass/fail test on the network connectivity to your ISP. If you get a fail, then something needs to be changed in the router setup.

Once everything is a pass, then use the ping test on “Tools”, “Miscellaneous”. This will check that your have an actual working Internet connection. I use www.google.com as a test (IP address of 72.14.205.147). If you get answers back, then you’ve got a working Internet connection.

If things are working on the router at this point, your router is properly configured. Whether your PC is set up properly is the next question. One thing at a time first, and right now that’s the router.

grue155,

Well I got onto a tech from my ISP and we did everything with the router including re-set, test and ping etc. to no avail. We got a dial-up going at least. The tech. thinks its a node problem with the telco Telstra. I have a docket no. for Monday which means a Telstra tech. is probably coming around. So it’s snail dial-up until then.

The system is no longer firewalled but still no connection. I’ve keep the newly installed OS very simple with only basic programs and windows firewall. I haven’t installed Comodo as I’ll wait until the broadband is sorted.

The OS re-install was no biggy. I have a C and D on my hard-drive with all my program Exc.'s and important files etc. on D. Just a simple matter of reformatting C, installing the OS and re-installing a few of the programs kept on D.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Hi,

I too have same problem and am sure this is some conflict of Comodo. I use a different router but from the day I installed Comodo its a from with net connection. But jsut clicking on the repair of network connection icon solves for some time

any help

Welcome to the forums, rkin

To avoid any confusion in working Aka’s circumstances, I’m going to ask that you start a new topic describing what kind of problem you’re encountering. Include details about what kind of router you have. You can reference back into this topic if you need to. Thanks…

Aka,

If the telco folks think they have a node problem, it’s odds are they do, especially if they’ve worked with you thru the router re-set and diagnostics. So now we wait for the telco.