Firewall blocking Internet Help pls

Hi All,

We have two computers on our office network, with one connected to the internet via mobile broadband running Windows XP. The other computer is running Windows 7 and gets internet access via the XP comp. After the recent update of Comodo the computer running Windows 7 cannot access the internet unless I disable the CIS firewall on Windows XP.

Can anyone help me fix this problem. I checked the “blocked zone” section and there was nothing listed.

Thanks

Cam

Hello Cam

I just want to verify once more to make sure i have the information correct

1. You have a XP Computer Connects with the Mobile Broadband (Which this is fine correct?)

2. You have Windows 7 Computer using a shared connection through the XP Computer? Correct?

Jake

Yes that is correct, thanks for the reply Jacob

You have Windows 7 Computer using a shared connection through the XP Computer

If you disable the firewall; and connect to the internet, on the Windows 7 Computer; can you go to
Start > Programs > Acc > Command Prompt (Right click run as admin) > ipconfig
Remember the IP (Or keep the screen up)
GO To the Windows XP with CIS Installed
CIS > Firewall > Network Security Policy > Network Zones > Add Group > Name it something that you’ll remember > Ok > Highlight the name > Add > By Address > Type in the IP Address that shows on the windows 7 machine > Apply > Apply > (Apply until you get to CIS main window)

Stealth Port Wizards > Define a new trusted network > “Choose the name you chosen earlier” > Ok
Then enable the firewall;

and Vice Versa

If you disable the firewall; and connect to the internet, on the Windows XP Computer; can you go to
Start > Programs > Acc > Command Prompt (Right click run as admin) > ipconfig
Remember the IP (Or keep the screen up)
GO To the Windows 7 with CIS Installed
CIS > Firewall > Network Security Policy > Network Zones > Add Group > Name it something that you’ll remember > Ok > Highlight the name > Add > By Address > Type in the IP Address that shows on the windows XP machine > Apply > Apply > (Apply until you get to CIS main window)

Stealth Port Wizards > Define a new trusted network > “Choose the name you chosen earlier” > Ok
Then enable the firewall;

Does this work?

Jake

Thanks Jake

I assumed you were talking about IPv4. I’m not sure of the differences between them all.

However the fix did not work. I am still unable to access the internet, however I can access files on the Windows XP computer ( Should have said so earlier)

Your help is much appreciated

Cam

Yes; I was assuming that you had IPv4

Have you tried training mode on both firewalls?

On the win7 Machine
Also; I’m curious if you go to Start > Programs > acc > command prompt >
ipconfig /release
hit enter
ipconfig /renew
hit enter
ping www.google.com

do you get results back?

Have you tried training mode on both firewalls?
(Right click CIS Icon > Firewall > Training Mode) ?
Can you get access then?

Jake

Training mode did not prove successful.

I followed your ipconfig renew instructions and got an average ping reply of 150 ms from google with the firewall off.

Thanks
Cam

and the firewall on? didn’t reply any results ?

Also;
CIS > Firewall > Firewall settings > Advance Tab > Disable “Block fragmented IP Datagrams”

and make sure that on the Alert Settings Make sure that This computer is an Internet connection gateway is checked
; If this does not work; I’ll get a more experienced moderator in this type of situation to assist you

Jake

Jake,

Thanks again.

With the firewall enabled I still recieved a reply but the ping was much higher, around 400ms

Cam

This means you can connect to the internet;
Please wait while another moderator/member replies with a solution to your issue;

Jake

OK Jake thanks for the help :-TU

To just take a radically different angle.

May be left overs of previously installed security programs are in the way. Try using removal tools for those programs. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

Otherwise do a Google search with terms “removal tool” and * name of product or vendor*.

When that doesn’t help. Can you post screenshots of the firewall logs of both your XP and Win 7 system of around the time of connecting them? The logs are under Firewall → View Firewall Events.

Hi and thanks,

The removal program did not help with the problem.

What do you mean by “upon connection”? As in have both enabled and try connect to the net?

Exacatly. Just the logs of around the time the Win 7 computer is trying to connect by the Win XP computer.

Try opening the Comodo firewall

1. click on firewall behaivor settings
  2. Click on “advanced”
  3. Remove the check marks on it
    4)click o.K.

If that solves it, then put the check marks back on 1 at a time. You’ll find the culprit

Just an idea

Try Jay2007tech Suggestion

Ok; To recap;
Windows 7 = Make sure you have the IP address ready;

Windows XP = Make sure you have the IP Address Ready

Make sure the Windows 7 Firewall is on

Lets start over;

CIS > Firewall >
Network Security Policy > System > Remove all the rules are under “System”
Global Rules > Remove All The Rules > OK
Network Zones (Remove All But Loopback Zone)
Add > Network Zone > Name it apipa > Ok
select apipa > add > ipv4 address range >Start IP: 169.254.0.1 End IP: 169.254.255.254 > Apply
Add > Network Zone > Name It Home > Ok
select Home > Add > ipv4 single address > Enter the current IP Address of the Windows XP > Apply (Repeat but this time add the address of the Windows 7 > Apply > Ok

Go to CIS > Firewall > Stealth Port Wizard > Middle Option > Ok > Steatlh Port Wizard > Define a New Trusted Network > Home > ok (Restart both Machines)

Then, Follow jay2007tech suggestion;

After this; and it does not work, then run this

Also; Ping each computer and as well as www.google.com and report back what you have recieved;
also enter the following in a command
tracert www.google.com
and report back what it says (The first 3 Lines)

Jake