Firewall and UTorrent

I have only recently installed Comodo Firewall and have been very impressed with it’s performance but yesterday i noticed that my UTorrent application was downloading a lot slower than usual. Upon closer inspection i noticed a little yellow triangle with a red exclamation mark at the bottom of the UTorrent window, this, i was told, meant that UTorrent was not accepting incoming downlaods. The answer lay either with my Router (something to do with opening a port???) or my firewall. i disabled Comodo Firewall and instantly i got the green light and an improved download speed (this with Windows Firewall re enabled by the way). I renabled Comodo and ensured that it would allow all UTorrent traffic but it still would not give me the green light and the improved downloads.

So now i’m stuck with Windows Firewall ( a far inferior application than Comodos…i know) until i can configure Comodo to work with UTorrent.

Anyone else had this problem or can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Thanks (V)

Bader40,

You are not wandering in the dark, alone and forgotten! Help is available for this problem! :wink:

Here’s a quick link to the “Hot” FAQs about the FW. https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,894.0.html Part way down the page you’ll see several more links for various P2P applications.

If that still leaves you hanging, you can use the Advanced Search feature towards the top of your screen, put in something like “utorrent” and search for results only Firewall Help & FAQ sections.

If that still leaves you with questions, search up AOwl ~ he’s one of the Mods here who has done a lot of research and testing with P2P apps in order to better help resolve issues.

Some basics for you: CPF’s Network Rules work like a router, in that you’ll have to forward ports for utorrent. Within utorrent, you’ll need to set a specific high port to use (rather than letting it select by random; something above 48000), and turn off UPNP (in utorrent; it can cause slowdowns and other problems). Then you’ll need to create/add a new network rule in CPF (add above the bottom block rule, as CPF filters the rules from the top down…) to allow TCP/UDP In from Any IP to Any IP, from Any Port to Specific Port (the one you specified in utorrent).

There’s a little more to it than that, but that’s a quick overview…

If you have any questions about creating the rule, or any other setup issues for utorrent, and you can’t find the answers, just ask. Someone here will be glad to help you. At any rate, post back here with your results…

Hope that helps,

LM

LOL! ;D
You write faster than me LM…
I will post this anyway… :wink:

You can read about it in the FAQ section.
I will give you a small tutorial here…

First you need to forward a port on your router.
Go to http://www.portforward.com and look up your router and how you set it up.
Lets say that we use port 47777.

After you have set up your router, you can first go to security/tasks in Comodo firewall, and run the “define a new trusted application”. Browse to your uTorrent.exe
You don’t need to set a parent now.
Go to application monitor and double click on uTorrent.exe and go to misc tab, and check “skip advanced security checks”.
You can also check “learn parent”, or skip if you prefer that.

Open uTorrent and go to settings.
Click on connection.
First you can set the listening port to 47777
then you can uncheck the random port thing, and also uncheck activate UPnP.
Click ok, and then close uTorrent.

If you are behind a router you need to “define a new trusted network” if you haven’t done that already. (security/tasks)
You can then go to “add/remove/modify a zone” if you want to, and rename the zone to what you want. You can also change the range of IP’s in your zone, but don’t do that until you know that all this will work… you don’t need to do it either…

Now you can go to network monitor.
Network monitor works like a router, so you have to “forward” port(s),
like you do in a router, for apps like Torrent/P2P.

Go to Network monitor (security/network monitor).
Right click on your block rule and add/add before.
Do these settings.

Action : Allow
Protocol : TCP or UDP
Direction : In
Source IP : Any
Destination IP : Any (or zone if you have one)
Source Port : Any
Destination Port : A single port : 47777
Click ok.

Always remember to place your allow rules you make, above the default block rule.
Network monitor reads the rules from the top to the bottom.

Also check the log in activity/logs and try to see which rule that blocks your application if it doesn’t work.

Reboot your PC.

Now you can open uTorrent and try if it works.

Ok, the tutorial was not that small… ;D

o-l-<sub>l</sub>                             
                                  /\

I bow to the master… ;D

LOL! ;D

Thanks for you really quick responses. I’m sure that i am going to sound a bit daft here but what is a router? i"m connected to the interent by a modem (NTL model 250) and i’ve visited Portforward.com and it is not listed.

Once again, i’m sorry about my incompetence when it comes to PC’s but that’s why i joined this form.

A router is basically a device that serves as a connecting point to join several computers together (ie, creating a LAN, or network); the router then provides your connection to the internet, or connects to a modem (which would then provide the connection).

Modern routers usually perform NAT (network address translation) functions as well (this means that the IP address is different on the outside of the router (from the internet) than on the inside of the router (your intranet, or LAN). This allows the local network to have static IP addresses for each computer, share files/drives/printers, etc, while the outside single connection (that is shared by all computers through the router) is dynamic; thus changing on a regular basis as determined by the ISP.

Many modern routers also have hardware firewalls integrated into their functionality, to provide a strong measure of defense against hacking, etc.

Some modems also have some of a router’s functionality, to differing levels. You would have to check with the manufacturer of the modem to find out, for your specific make and model. In the majority if cases, a modem is just that; a modem - a direct connection to the internet, whether dial-up or high-speed (dsl, cable, etc).

Hope that answers your question in a clear and understandable way…

LM

“The answer lay either with my Router (something to do with opening a port???) or my firewall.”

You wrote that in your first post, so I thought you had a router…

If you don’t have a router, you can just ignore the portforward and creating a trusted zone parts.

Did it work for you?

After having another look this morning i found that the Comodo FW was configured to allow only UTorrent incoming traffic and not out going traffic, after correcting this to allow traffic both ways i got the green light.
I’m sorry if this was quite an elementary mistake but i am a bit clueless when it comes to this sort of thing, it’s nice to know that there are people here who are always willing to help.

Thanks again.

LOL. ;D
No problems…
I’m glad it worked out for you.

If you read my tutorial in a previous post, I said that you should add uTorrent as a trusted app, which would have made a rule for both in and out… :wink:

Yeh, you’re right but sometimes you just can’t see the forest for the trees especially when you get a little overwhelmed by all this techno talk.anyway the main thing is my computer is now protected by a superior firewall and that’s the main thing! (S)

Yes, it is the main thing… ;D