Firewall 6.x free version questions

No. SAS Pro should be starting normally. Is it by any chance listed under the unrecognized files section of CIS?

If so you will need to manually add it to the trusted files for it to start with Windows.

No, that’s not it. Actually, SAS service is starting, but the icon is not making it to the Sys Tray. In fact, of the items enabled in Startup under Task Manager that are supposed to make it to the Sys Tray, SAS Pro and OpenVPN are the only ones showing as “not measured” for Startup impact (Task Mgr is redone in Win 8). They were previously in the Sys Tray before reinstalls (and CIS?).

Since I had given the executables of each administrator rights (compatibility), I unchecked those as a test and SAS process now starts correctly and goes to the sys tray. Can’t same the same for OpenVPN, which also still shows as “not measured.” All this seems more than coincidental, so I just asked about it at Windows Eight Forums.

Its not about other programs limiting the on access scan amount.
Like avira had a rather low limit by default. If you increased it, it was 9999kb, if i remember right.
BUT
this setting did never had an effect on on-demand scanning!

With comodo, i am scanning a file above 40mb. The window pops up, pretending to do something, and you get a result: No virus found.
But this result is not based by any action.

THATS the point i am speaking about for a long time now.

For example avast:
If you scan the comodo installer (100mb) you can see how deeply things get scanned. And the result page will show like ~700mb of scanned files.
Basic + extracted + emulated code (depending on setting).
Yes, this might take more than 0 or 3 seconds like comodo, but you are sure that it actually scanned.
The on access performance of avast is very high, with low resources.
You get both.

There is no valid argument to limit the on demand scan volume. When people choose the button, they want to use the button. No one would say: “I wanted to scan the 500mb file and comodo did it! What a resource waste.”
No one :wink:

The AV in CIS 6 does not have separate settings for manual scan like the old versions had. I’d say that’s a miss right there.