Firefox not a known application?

I have done that “Scan for known applications” but Comodo still asks me for permissions when I launch Firefox. Isn’t Firefox a “known application”?

EDIT: BTW, it doesn’t seem to know Outlook or Word either… Is this simply disabled in the beta?

Strange ???. I’m running CF 2.4.1.96 (beta) and I wasn’t prompted for Firefox 2.0. Have you modified the default settings after installation?

:slight_smile:

I’m running the same versions of Firefox and Comodo as you. I haven’t done anything but installing Comodo “as is”, then scanning for known applications. Please note I have been also prompted for Outlook and Word. On the other hand, I haven’t been prompted for eMule, but Comodo won’t let the packets out, so I can’t use it unless I start building rules myself. That puts Comodo out for me (for reasons beyond the scope of this thread). I’ll keep trying the upcoming betas and will see.

For emule you just have to make a IN rule for the port that it uses in network monitor.

About known applications, are you sure that it is the same popups all the time?
You will get popups for lets say that you click a link in outlook, then you will get a popup that outlook is trying to use firefox to get out on the net.

Comodo should ask and make that rule for me. That’s what other firewalls do and that’s the least I expect.

About known applications, are you sure that it is the same popups all the time? You will get popups for lets say that you click a link in outlook, then you will get a popup that outlook is trying to use firefox to get out on the net.
I'm not sure, but if the whole purpose of known apps is not preventing popups -ie, bothering the user-, I can't see the benefit. Both Outlook and Firefox are pretty popular apps. If Comodo needs the user to allow them to access the internet or be accessed by it, what's the point of "known applications"?
Comodo should ask and make that rule for me. That's what other firewalls do and that's the least I expect.
Comodo does not work like other firewalls in some cases, and thats why it's more safe than most other firewalls. Network monitor works like a router, so you have to forward a port for some programs like P2P. If you don't want to get bothered at all, you can use XP firewall, but that's gonna make you unsafe. [url=http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php]Look here.[/url] I would also like to have a firewall that didn't create a single popup, and could read my mind and my needs, but that wont happen... yet... ;) To pass leaktests you have to deny a popup, to stop the leak, since they try to use common apps like Firefox. The firewalls that is quiet, doesn't stop anything... that's a choice you have to make.

About known applications. Do you have the box checked “do not show alerts for apps certified by Comodo”, in security/advanced/misc? Do you have the slider “alert frequency level”, at low?

Sicofante, can you please try the last beta, since you had some problems with the firewall not recognizing known apps, and see if it helps?
Go here!

I was trying the previous beta. I just went back to Kerio 4. In a couple of days I’ll give the latest beta a new try.

Regarding “intelligent” firewalls, I’ve been trying the latest Norton Internet Security suite and it’s the closest to “mind reading” I’ve seen. It’s really good at making its own decisions. I believe this should be the way to go. I’m not meaning Comodo is a bad firewall. Not at all! But now that you guys have achieved a really good security level, IMHO you should focus on being useful to very ordinary non-computer-literate users. I can create rules from scratch; my problem is I’m a consultant and my family and friends can’t. Having them on the phone all day asking what to do with their popups, just kills me (and them). To be honest, I’ve recommended Norton’s product to those willing to pay, but some (mostly family members and friends) simply can’t.

Thanks for your replies. I’ll come back when I try the latest beta.

Hi

Congrats on your product. I recently installed CPF (release 2.3.6.81) and I have to admit that this fine software is running stable und doing its job. Besides, you can’t beat the price :wink:

I do have one question though concerning the “known applications wizard”. Which paths and/or registry keys are being searched to find installed software? I’m asking because I have most of my applications installed on a separate partition and the wizard doesn’t seem to find any of them. This includes Firefox and Thunderbird, just to name a few.

I’m getting lazy in my old age and it would be nice if CPF would search partitions other than the default system partition to install a pre-defined ruleset. ;D

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work.

Wiggins