File Groups & Exclusions

I’m not sure if I’m missing something here. With CIS 3.x I used to be able to select file groups from the Exclusions tab under the Virus Scanner Settings dialog. Now in CIS4 it seems I can’t. Which kind of sucks as I would put file types (GIF, JPEG, MP3, PNG, WAV, game save files etc.) that I really wasn’t worried about being vectors of infections. Anyway, I was a bit surprised, so I checked the help file and low and behold, the help file states:

- File Groups - Choosing this option allows you to choose your application from a category of pre-set files or folders. For example, selecting 'Executables' would enable you to exclude any file with the extensions .exe .dll .sys .ocx .bat .pif .scr .cpl . Other such categories available include 'Windows System Applications' , 'Windows Updater Applications' , 'Start Up Folders' and so on - each of which provide a fast and convenient way to batch select important files and folders.

First, has the ability to use File Groups in conjunction with Exclusions been removed or is there some new trickto it? Second does the AntiVirus scanner still scan common file types (like graphics & music)? Third, if it does is there a less cluttered way of adding file type exclusions other than creating individual exclusions for each file type?

Apparently it was removed. Don’t know if that is a glitch or by design.