File and Printer Sharing?

Hello all, I’ve recently installed the latest version of CPF 2.2, and so far I’ve been rather pleased.

I’ve been able to iron out most of the issues that I’ve experienced, except one. At home, I have 5 computers (including this one) interconnected via File/Printer Sharing. When I used Kerio Firewall before, it explicitly asked to allow/disallow file/printer sharing when I accessed it for the first time, which kerio labeled simply as NetBios. But now I’m completely locked out of the network on the computer with CPF installed. There were no popup notifications referencing to “NetBios” or file sharing when I tried to connect to my home network. I’m sure there’s a solution to this (in the Network Monitor section perhaps?), but I can’t seem to find it yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Other than this issue, Comodo is a great firewall, keep up the good work!

From what I gather you need to Modify or add a Trusted Zone with the computers and shared printer’s IP Address Defined and then create a rule allowing that communication. You should find more under the FAQ forums.

Eric

If you use the wizard to create a trusted zone, you should have no problems with file/print sharing. The wizard will create rules that allow IP traffic in and out between IP addresses within the defined zone. You can inspect these rules in the section called “Network Monitor”.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Ewen,
Have you updated the tutorial from UDP to IP and added the extra rule? See my attachment at: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,744.0.html

Eric

Hey Eric,

I’m about halfway through it, but I’m adding a lot more plain english explanatory text this time around.

Might finish it tonight, but probably tomorrow. :wink:

Cheers,
(WCF3) (WCF3) (WCF3)

Ok I disabled Network Monitor and rebooted. I disabled CPF from startup before to make sure it was the culprit that was causing the problem. Lo and behold, file sharing works after rebooting. I enabled CPF again and started the network monitor again. So far it hasn’t blocked anything yet, and I can transfer files again. I’ve added a rule in Network Controls to allow IP In/Out, Source Any, Remote Any. (The rule was there before, so I don’t know why I couldn’t connect ???) I know this is not very safe, but for now it’ll work. I have a NAT Router with a hardware firewall, so I’m not too exposed. I use CPF mainly to monitor traffic and application access to the internet, which it does rather well. I can see “System” under the activity monitor now, which was never there previously. Thanks for all of your help!

I really think you should change your rule to Allow-Out-Source Any-Remote Any-Protocol Any. Allowing ALL both in and out is exposing yourself. The NAT router covers you, but why take the risk? Setting the direction to OUT will still allow responses to your requests back in.

There’s an updated tutorial on the basic rules required at

http://www.embsolutions.com.au/cpf_rule/

Hope this helps,
(WCF3) (WCF3) (WCF3)