Feedback topic for bug forum.

Please post here

a) any feedback relating to the bugs/issues forum. For example on guide, format, process etc
v) any requests for help on using the format, guidelines or bug reporting process

Best wishes

Mouse

BUMP

Speaking of Files appended, point 4, and as mouse1 procedure tutorial does not allow any answer, isn’t the configuration report only working with cis3?

Not even speaking of the fact it is supposed to require not only IE, but Net Passport:
without me, and i shall in these conditions never be able to produce such a report.

I understand it is not made by cis itself, but should it, while said mandatory, keep from reporting a bug other browsers users?

I was advocated myself by a moderator to report what i think to be a bug. No way?

Sorry, cvsa, to have somehow hijacked your post, but i suppose that you also would progress in your bug resolution if producing the said report, assuming, as it has no “official” character altough said to be mandatory, it actually can’t be bypassed.

Thanks for you feedback

Config report works for me with CIS 5.0. One person has reported a problem, but for most people it seems OK. I’ve added the ability to append a CIS config (.cgfx) file instead now in case people have problems.

Happily no need for MS passport for config report - you may need .NET framework possibly, but that’s a completely different thing, and most people have it already on their machines.

CIS config report is not mandatory, but will help devs fix many bugs.

Many thanks again

Mouse

OK, thank you: i guess i misread something or didn’t try it under a “new” configuration as the tool speaks of a previous one.

I shall try to report the bug i spoke of in “standard format” if i have some time…and if i am able to, as the said bug throws me out of clicking whatever in windows, and even to power off, the only way to escape being to shut AC power and to reboot from another partition (from where i can of course open whatever file on the “culprit” one, but not run any process, excepting maybe remote registry).

Thanks please do, we appreciate all bug reports as they help us improve the product.

Best wishes

Mouse

It would be a lot better if you stop spamming with the rules all around. I’ve described it in detail. If they can’t read that, then they’re not worth my time.

I think your explanation of the issue is very helpful, as is the fact that you have appended and marked up screenshots. They make very clear what happened and what you expected to happen.

But developers need more than that, they need to be able to reproduce the issue if they are to fix it.

Frequently problems occur only on one operating system, in conjunction with one other bit of software, or with only one set of CIS setting etc. So developers have to recreate your setup if they are to reproduce the bug.

Also some bugs only appear after certain sequences of actions, so saying exactly what you did may be important if developers are to fix the bug

In addition developers need to manage their time very fiercely. Puttng the information in a standard format, helps them to read and process it quickly. This means they have more time to fix more bugs.

All this is particularly important in the case of Comodo. Free software means that development time is somewhat limited, compared say to the likes of Norton, who charged tens of millions of users $50-$100 a year. Think of how large a development team you can finance with that!

Hope this helps you to understand in more detail why we ask for this infrmation, and why we ask for it in a standard format.

If you have suggestions as to how we could improve our format or reminder posts (do you think that any of the wording in these might upset people?) or help materials please do say.

I’ve left your issue posts unlocked so you or any other user can add the requested information if you feel you can.

With best wishes and thanks for your feedback

Mouse

Config report works for me with CIS 5.0.
Partially: hangs after step 4.

Coming back to my issue, i partially succeded by first testing defense+ for a large number of system process (lauching various windows built in utilities and setting custom rules accordingly) and next throwing out svchost and system out of windows operating system so as to soforth create individual custom rules.

But as i soon as i want to shift windows system applications from the eponymous group to custom, the same situation occurs, but now not hanging me anymore of local applications (altough still hanging me of whatever has not been preset, e.g. rules other then svchost for the browser).

In this last situation, the other windows applications more or less work, leading to further observations: there’s no crash, no dump, but process analysis from procexp (ctr-alt-del is hanged) shows that “idle process” eats up to 98-99% of the ressources.

The conclusion (at the day speaking) is that in such a situation cis is flooded by the number of system rules to face (explaining there’s no crash whatsoever) and in fact does not crash, but slows down to a point where it becomes unworkable, asking for a new rule every 10mn or so.

The only solution, as shown by my partial success, seems to anticipate such rules and write most of them before shifting windows system applications to custom, but it’s a real hassle, involving executables and process one wouldn’t think of (dmremote.exe, mmc.exe, shell32.dll…)

By the way, and assuming i want for a peculiar application to allow whatever is under \system32, including subfolders paths, someone to remind me of the appropriate syntax, and more generally speaking, of the path and folder switches in comodo?

Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve now altered the format so people can use a .cgfx file instead.

Coming back to my issue, i partially succeded by first testing defense+ for a large number of system process (lauching various windows built in utilities and setting custom rules accordingly) and next throwing out svchost and system out of windows operating system so as to soforth create individual custom rules.

But as i soon as i want to shift windows system applications from the eponymous group to custom, the same situation occurs, but now not hanging me anymore of local applications (altough still hanging me of whatever has not been preset, e.g. rules other then svchost for the browser).

In this last situation, the other windows applications more or less work, leading to further observations: there’s no crash, no dump, but process analysis from procexp (ctr-alt-del is hanged) shows that “idle process” eats up to 98-99% of the ressources.

The conclusion (at the day speaking) is that in such a situation cis is flooded by the number of system rules to face (explaining there’s no crash whatsoever) and in fact does not crash, but slows down to a point where it becomes unworkable, asking for a new rule every 10mn or so.

The only solution, as shown by my partial success, seems to anticipate such rules and write most of them before shifting windows system applications to custom, but it’s a real hassle, involving executables and process one wouldn’t think of (dmremote.exe, mmc.exe, shell32.dll…)

By the way, and assuming i want for a peculiar application to allow whatever is under \system32, including subfolders paths, someone to remind me of the appropriate syntax, and more generally speaking, of the path and folder switches in comodo?

Thank you.

This behaviour under stress seems worthy of a separate issue report?

Thanks for the feedback. I've now altered the format so people can use a .cgfx file instead.
The format is not relevant: i get the report in txt format, but stopped at the 4th step.
This behaviour under stress seems worthy of a separate issue report?
It is actually the only one i made since the beginning: cis report and others are merely tools able (or not for the present situation) to circumstantiate the dysfunction.

Just to clarify, this is a CIS config file not a CIS config report file.

To create it you just export your current CIS config using the facilities under More ~ manage my configuration

It is actually the only one i made since the beginning: cis report and others are merely tools able (or not for the present situation) to circumstantiate the dysfunction.
I think I am misunderstanding which issue you are referring to. Can you please post me a link so I understand? Apologies for being dense! Many thanks in anticipation.
Just to clarify, this is a CIS config file not a CIS config report file.

Sorry, i hadn’t understood it this way.

But, if cis (and every desktop icon) becomes unusable, no way:
is there some way to fetch this report from a lan path?

I think I am misunderstanding which issue you are referring to.
I don't remember where you placed the "thing" when you splitted the thread where i described it.

Schematically speaking:

-xp sp3 pro, 32 bits french, installed on 2 different hard disks launched from multiboot.
-The first disk is running cis3 (no av)+avira
-the second disk is at the time speaking used to test cis5: av now enabled, sandbox and cloud disabled, proactive, highest levels for firewall and defense+ (including all image execution settings and everything checked but ics), no trusted editor list; nothing installed or so (firefox and various tools: foxit, filezilla, 7zip, xplite, procexp, autoruns, aptdiff and other “comodo reporting tools”).
Let’s open all of them, as well as launching various windows default utilities: the custom behavior is enforced and appropriate rules are written, everything works fine.

Now, let’s want to monitor windows operating system rule (and particularly system and svchost), setting windows operating system as custom:
windows becomes unusable, nothing works anymore except right click in a free desktop location.
Firefox, altough itself allowed and internet rules written is unusable; cis not any more.
There’s no crash, no bsod, everything behaves as if cis was overflooded with defense+ requests, “partial succeeding tests” (having already enforced some rules and thus probably lessening the process requests) showing that “idle process” is then consuming more then 98% of the ressources, and cis prompting every 10mn or so for a defense+ rule to be enforced.

Hmm complex but interesting. Could you post a new bug/issue report on this, in standard format, now you’ve explained it in more detail? That way we can discuss it carefully.

I’d need to understand what version of CIS is doing what in this, as there’s two versions involved or at least mentioned.

Sorry for not noting this content when I split the post before

Best wishes

Mouse

why not just set up a web fprm for the bug or glitch issues. this way it is a form with the specifics you want and it can maybe get looked at or emailed to a coordinater instead of sitting in limbo on a web forum.
something to consider to stream efforts to get things right.

I’ll move this to feedback if that’s OK and respond there

Best wishes

Mouse

This is an interesting suggestion. But such things take time I am afraid - we are quite a long way from being able to do this at present!

Child Boards within Bug Reports can only be seen by Logged On Users. This seriously restricts the number of forum users that are able to see the real bug issues.
For example I rarely log-on unless I wish to add to the forum issues and I suspect there are a lot of casual users that do the same.
Hence there is less chance of finding a suitable workaround from a user who may have the same problem.
Also there is no guarantee that the Bug reported has been accepted as an issue by the Developers.
Less visibility = Less chance of a solution.

Regards

Thanks. I guess I understand this may be an inconvenience, but is it a major one in a world of automated log-ons? Happy to be persuaded :slight_smile:

Your other point about the visibility of developer investigation is well made. THey have agreed to mark posts as under investigation. I will remind.

It is not a convenience issue. It is the fact that many users may visit the forum without being a member and hence will only see Bug Reports that are available to them. If they see an issue that is pertinent to them they may well take up membership and reply. This is my point about visibility. Those issues that are raised without the correct format have more visibility than those with the correct format. Convinced?

Also, on the issue of automated log-ons, there are a lot of PC users who do not store userids, passwords or cookies on their PCs for safety/privacy reasons.

Regards