Fairly new java exploit..

hey y’all,

I was just reading about a fairly new java exploit here: http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerability-management/167901026/security/attacks-breaches/232200604/the-dark-side-of-java.html

These days java is getting exploited a lot. I know that a lot of PC user got a old version of java installed… Java automatic updating is not as smooth as it should be… I’m Just wondering how many PC’s got java installed? Are there any numbers or % available? I can’t find in anywhere on the official java site, and google didin’t help either… Anyone knows these numbers? Just wondering lol, thanks! :slight_smile:

Webbie146

Thank You for the info! I went to check Version number for Java and it said I was up to date

I then ran Update Checker from File Hippo and it showed that there now was another version, Downloaded and installed it. Surprised that Check Java version did not show the newest update for JRE.

Thanks again
UncleDoug

Hey np! :slight_smile: Just another example of the java not correctly updating itself. They should really step up there game and make the auto updating a lot more efficient. Java can be such a security risk if not 100% up to date.

Could it be you where on version 1.6.29 and filehippo hosts 1.7.1 (or current 1.6.30 v.s. 1.7.2)
Version 1.7 is the latest, but 1.6.x is still considered stable, so a 1.6.29 will update to 1.6.30 but not to 1.7 automagically at this point in time.
Both version 1.6 and 1.7 are security-patched latest releases.

Just out of curiosity, what do you use Java for? I have it permanently disabled in my browsers and it’s only installed because my RSS reader and my IDE or choice require it.

I actually nearly forget it is even available until I read something about it (Java I mean).

The official description is this:

There are lots of applications and websites that won’t work unless you have Java installed, and more are created every day. Java is fast, secure, and reliable. From laptops to datacenters, game consoles to scientific supercomputers, cell phones to the Internet, Java is everywhere!

I personally almost never encounter websites that need java lol…

And the rare websites that do require Java are usually just using it as a gimmick. An applet that makes water ripple, or something… :-\

yea, indeed. When you don’t visit websites that require java, and don’t have applications installed that make use of it, it’s the best to just uninstall it…

The funny thing is that when you look in people there program/software list a lottt of them got java installed… A lot of them don’t even know they got java installed, and never make use of it.

This is quite topical :slight_smile:

Canonical to remove Oracle’s Sun Java from users ’ systems

Consumers hardly need Java, it’s more a business thing, lots of enterprise apps work with some form of Java.