ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta

Hmm, just making an account to post 1 thing and then go again ? I don’t think that was sarcasm … 88)

Xan

I liked the new Beta.

It’s stable, I didn’t see many bugs AND eset cranked up the spyware protection.

Great release.

It uses the same signatures 88)

I’m starting to wonder if Eset is becoming a heuristic app only, or if it’s still based on signatures 88)

Xan

No it has to to use some newer signatures. Do not forget also that a new antispyware engine can utilize the signatures more effectively.

Check remove-malware.com…Nod 32 beta 4 does considerably better on spyware than 3 did.

Also product changes… Mentions nothing about improved detection, only improved cleaning.

The new version 4 features more than 50 improvements compared to the current version. The main changes are described below:

• integrated ESET SysInspector
  • support for laptops (tasks can be postponed when the machine is running on batterry, a notification appears if a larger update is going to be downloaded, etc.)
  • added a non-graphic interface (suitable for screen readers used by visually impaired persons)
  • improved scanning of removable media (used maximum settings when running files from removable media, allows blocking/allowing USB ports)
  • improved cleaning
  • improved self-defense
  • added statistic graphs and information about the currently scanned object
  • added an option to use advanced heuristics on file execution
  • added an option to control the level of archive scanning or maximum scan time of objects
  • added option to supress notifications when applications are run in fullscreen mode
  • scanning of encrypted HTTPs/POP3s protocols
  • website management allowing to block/allow access to user-defined sites
  • new Document protection module for scanning MS Office files
  • added an option to connect to 2 ERA servers
  • customizable context menu
  • UAC support
  • password protected uninstallation
  • notification about missing operating system updates
  • management of hidden dialog windows
  • Thunderbird plugin
  • Antispam now uses a user and global address books
  • potentially unwanted/unsafe applications are now reported in a yellow alert window which requires a user interaction

I tried Nod32 when it was 2.7 version. I tcaught a lot of viruses but once I got infected with some king of virus so badly, my computer shut down and would never boot up again. Probably it erased my mbr… Than I decided never to use Anti-Virus again. I am all for HIPS now.

www.computorial.blogspot.com

Just because it isnt listen there doesnt mean it wasnt a change. There has been significant improvement in the spyware engine, again check remove malware, that is cold hard evidence.

Nah, each time theres a test he uses different samples at different times.
Im going to download both v3 and v4 and test them against samples to see…

EDIT: Yep… It uses the same signatures. If you update then click the update number, It takes you to the update page which shows the same sigs as V3… None the less I’ll still do and on demand scan on the same files with the same sig versions.

Eset is a bit overhyped if you ask me :-\ But may I ask you what you prefer :slight_smile: Heuristic or behaviour aplications ???

Greetz, Red.

Yep… nod32 v3 and v4 both score the same; 347 out of 422 which samples can be found at the malware research board submitted by pykko;
https://forums.comodo.com/malware_research_group/malware_thread_for_av_analysts_feb_09_present-t34180.0.html;msg247640#msg247640

I don’t really care what it will become, I’ll keep away of it anyway…

Heuristic or behaviour aplications
HIPS ;)

Xan

Regardless, Eset still improved its detection of spyware.

Regardless, it’s still useless …

Xan

Regardless, CIS is still better. 88)

:slight_smile:

regardless (lol), it is :smiley:

Xan

So which is the better for a novice? I say Nod for the fewer FPs maybe oneday comodo will achieve great detection, prevention with Nod like FP statistics! Myself I,ve still got a long license left on Nod so I’ll test comodo again sometime.

edit – nevermind, this is the wrong place for the joke I made

Lol, Huh? I did a test specificaly for you - The same samples, the latest updates, (The scans were done within 30 mins difference)…
The score = Exactly the same. Even when clicking the signature link inside nod32 they both take you to the same page with the same signatures used.

How can you say detection has improved? 88) it’s exactly the same as V3. Nod32 v4 has other improvements, But not it’s detection.

I meant compared to what it used to be, regardless of V3 or V4 the spyware detection of ALL THE ESET VERSIONS (for the apparent clarification needed) has improved.

Xan, nod 32 is not useless :wink: