I’m running the latest version of CB - Version 3.0.164972.96 on three different systems: a Dell XPS 8100 with an i7 processor, 8GB of memory, and Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64 bit; a Dell Laptop Studio 17 with an i7 processor, 8GB of memory, and Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64 bit; and an older Dell Dimension 2350 with Windows XP SP3 32 bit.
On the two Windows 7 machines when I run scheduled backups I always get a message that Comodo has found an error or problem (I don’t remember the exact wording). When I check the CB diagnostics.txt file I find that the error is “WINDOWS TASK SCHEDULER IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY”.
The backups, however, run as scheduled and seem to be OK when I check them. I’m able to mount them as virtual drives and view the files I’ve backed up.
On the XP SP3 machine, I don’t get this error message and the CB diagnostics.txt file shows the Task Scheduler as working correctly.
Is Comodo having problems recognizing the state of Windows 7 Task Scheduler? Any ideas what’s going on here?
On my two Windows 7 x64 systems scheduled backups don’t seem to be working in a consistent manner. One day one will work, another day it might hang and not complete. I also appear to have the same problem on my Windows XP SP3 system. One day a scheduled task will run, another day it won’t.
My problem on the Win7 x64 systems continues to show when the scheduled backup does run. I always get the message about errors being found and when I check the diagnostics file, the error is always "WINDOWS TASK SCHEDULER IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY. However, if the scheduled backup runs, the backup appears to run at the scheduled time and the backup files appear to be OK.
Ok. I’ll set it up so it captures the debug information tonight when the task is set to run.
I’ve also been experiencing another glitch. It seems that when the task doesn’t run it may be causing my computer to reboot. Two mornings in a row the computer was in a rebooted state, the next day it wasn’t, and now again this morning it was in a rebooted state. As far as I know, no automatic updates occurred on any of those nights.
Computer is a Dell XPS8100
Intel i7-860 CPU
8 GB memory
Windows 7 x64
I’ll send the debug dump back tomorrow after the task runs tonight.
Please check \Windows\Minidump folder for crash dumps.
If you have CIS 5 installed, there were some conflicts between CIS 5 and CB and some unexpected BSODs.
Or check event viewer in Computer management → Event Viewer for possible reasons for unexpected restarts.
I had CB set up to do another backup early this morning. When this second backup tried to run I got the “Scheduled task could not be run” message along with the Diagnostic report showing that Errors were found, with the “WINDOWS TASK SCHEDULER IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY!” as the indicated error.
I checked Task Scheduler to see what tasks were scheduled and if there were any conflicts. No conflicts noted. I found both COMODO tasks that I’ve set up and also an additional COMODO Test task that is set to run anytime the system is idle.
I’ve attached both the Diagnostic error report and the Debug results to this post.
We found the most likely cause of the “WINDOWS TASK SCHEDULER IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY!”.
CB does some checks to see if task scheduler service is working properly.
In this case it can’t add scheduled tasks with trigger “when idle”. Please confirm this by trying to add a schedule task with trigger “when idle”.
We will fix this in next update.
As for the error when a schedule is supposed to run, please see the above link I posted. It doesn’t have to do with diagnose error but with editing a schedule backup after creation. This will be fixed too in the next update.
Thanks, Emanuel. I’m not sure what the work-around is for the error is for the scheduled run, but if I understand it correctly I need to create a task such that it sends a dummy email. I tried that and I get an error message while trying to set up the email. Another way I understand it is to delete the edited task and create a new task and then don’t edit it once it’s created.
As for the “when idle” issue, I’ll try to confirm it by adding a scheduled task with the “when idle” trigger.