Error 106:update

From reading around it looks like I have two possibilities for this problem.

1. • This is not a serious error, it just means the update server is currently busy and you should try to update CFP a little later.

Trying 3days now to update the firewall- Anti Virus update works fine.

1. • Sorry I do not think you can update from 3.9* to 3.10

■■■■■■ I just installed this 3days ago from Comodo Internet Security - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download which is promoting version Comodo Internet Security 3.9.95478.509! YET the bloody latest release is version 3:10 from 7TH JULY!!!
THIS SUCKS because now I have to uninstall-REBOOT-download-reinstall-REBOOT- wait over an hour or more for the Anti virus update patch (YES I also have the 30% download SLUG)…

I hope its number 1. 88) & bet its number2 …ffs… I’m downloading version 3.10 now

Good luck with installing 3.10 and subsequent av update.

Do notice it is best not to import a configuration from v3.8 or earlier due to changes in the way rules are stored.

Done thank you. Update wasn’t as bad as I thought this time around which helps if have a limited internet connection like I do.

I noticed a newer version yesterday & tried to download the update but of course couldn’t!!!..does this mean a complete reinstall everytime you guys put out an update patch???

It is truly odd you get the same error every time.

Just a recap. You clean installed 3.10? When you try to update to 3.11 you get the error 106 again? Did you import a previous configuration going back to 3.8 or earlier? Are you sure CIS is not blocked in any way?

What other security programs do you have running in the background?

Edit: I just bumped into another report from somebody who couldn’t update. May be server hiccup? 88) Scratches his head…

Yes, clean install to 3.10
No, I didn’t import a previous config especially because of your previous warning earlier.
CIS isn’t blocked.
The only other security programs that I have running are Peerguardian, (I can see you wince but i’m positive its not an issue because i’ve allowed CIS access nor is it spitting out blockage messages-I’ve been using it for years- I’ve also disabled Peer & turned it off completely just to be sure but it doesn’t make a difference) & Windows Firewall, which is a very plain vanilla firewall so settings are very easily configured & this is not conflicting with CIS.

As stated with the previous version, updating the virus scanner isn’t a problem so that should tell you something.

Thanks.

Please make sure Windows Firewall is turned off. Other than that I can only think of a total clean install; which contains manual delete after the uninstall and reboot.

Found this in one of Kevin’s post from sometime ago regarding Error 106 hope this helps.

Error 106: Means that a firewall program is blocking the connection OR your Internet Explorer is in OFFLINE mode - run IE and CONNECT.

Dennis

Ok I turned off windows firewall but still no luck. Explorer is Not set to offline mode so I’m at a loss as to why this is happening? Are the virus & firewall Patchs on the same server? I noticed the update patches have the same ip address, if that even makes a difference.

When I connect, after clicking on the update button, I can see in the “summary view” that I’m connected & downloading. It gets to 174b & then I get the error 106?

I’m really starting to enjoy exploring CIS but before I reinstall I’ll hang around & see if there are any more suggestions. A reinstall, reboot + having to re-learn all my settings again doesn’t seem productive right now.

Is there any way you guys can post the update ? or can I save any config files this time around & import them in.

TIA

We are gonna take a look to see if there are some old drivers of your previous security programs are still around. Go to Device Manager → View → show hidden devices → now look under Non Plug and Play drivers → when you see a driver that belongs to your previous security programs click right → uninstall —> do this for all drivers → reboot your computer.

When the problem persists make sure there are noauto starts from your previous security programs download Autoruns and run it.

This program finds about all auto starts in Windows. This tool can therefore seriously damage Windows when not handled properly. After starting go to Options and choose to hide Windows and Microsoft entries and then push F5 to refresh.

Now check all entries to see if there are references to your previous security program. When you find them untick them. After unticking reboot your computer and see what happens.