E-mail server errors

I often leave Outlook 2003 open, and it periodically checks for new messages. I have Comcast as my service provider. Lately, I’ve been getting the following error message:

Task ‘mail.comcast.net - Receiving’ reported error (0x800CCC0F) : ‘The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).’

After having received this error several times on different occassions, I called Comcast support and one of the things that was done was to change the default ports (110 and 25). I changed the ports to the recommended setting, but that apparently has had no effect. I’ve now gone back to Comcast with this issue to find out what is causing this. I recently changed firewall software from Norton to Comodo. I know that with Norton, it would scan incoming and outgoing mail. I don’t see any mail settings in the Comodo software.

Do I need to turn off or shutdown Comodo while I have Outlook open in order to not receive the server error message? In the event that this might help for troubleshooting purposes, my cable modem is not connected to a router.

Welcome to the forum,

Have you tried setting Outlook to EMail client in “Network Security Policy”
Go to Firewall/Advanced/Network security policy/Highlight the entry for Outlook and click “Edit” now check the box “Use a pre-defined policy” and select Email client from the drop down/APPLY to close all windows.

Matty

Thanks for the reply.

I haven’t changed any settings in the network security policy, but I will look into that. I hope that might resolve the problem, as I got another server error message recently. This message stated that the mail server rejected my login information and then it presented me with a dialog box to input the server name, username and password. I closed that box and hit send/receive again and this time I got the error message that I mentioned in my original post. I was able to get my mail after clicking send/receive a third time.