DVD burning failure

Hi everybody!

I’ve installed the newest version of CPF. Also, I have a new LG Multi DVD burner. Sionce I’ve installed CPF I’m not able to burn a DVD!!! I can burn ANY CD but NO DVD! I’ve even installed the newest Firmware for my burner. I use the newest Nero (8.1.1.4) but since I’ve installed CPF no DVD burning is possible.
Is it possible that CPF blocks anything necessesary to burn?

Thanks for help!

That happened to me too after installing Comodo 3. Never happened before when burning DVD so almost fell out of chair when this “Focus or tracking error” popped in sight. Did some googling and there were some post about LG drivers and Nero (got them both) problems. While burning that DVD was doing other stuff too like usually (BitComet running on background etc).

But after that i’ve burned two DVD’s succesfully (just data backups, like the failed one) without BitComet running. ■■■■, don’t remember if even was connected to net sorry. Also before hitting the ‘Burn’ button checked that ‘Check Drive Speed Before Burning’ box in ‘More’ section, so not sure if that helped too. Strange heh.

I’m new to Comodo myself but so far i like it (R), despite this DVD thing happening. Was browsing to get some info for rules and stuff when noticed your post. Had to register and let you know you’re not alone ;D.

Here’s part of Nero log (Yeah, saved it. Was shocked :D):

[i]19:17:27 #26 SPTI -1039 File SCSIPassThrough.cpp, Line 289
F: CdRom0: SCSIStatus(x02) WinError(0) NeroError(-1039)
Sense Key: 0x04 (KEY_HARDWARE_ERROR)
Sense Code: 0x09
Sense Qual: 0x01
CDB Data: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Area: 0x71 00 04 00 00 00 00 10 35 01 00 0E 09 01

19:17:27 #27 CDR -1039 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 167
Focus or tracking error
F: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B

19:17:27 #28 TRANSFER -24 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 167
Could not perform end of Disc-at-once

19:17:27 #29 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1685
Burn process failed at 4x (5 540 KB/s)[/i]

Edit:
Forgot mention, moved Nero cache to other partition where there is more free disk space, some 6Gb+ compared to ~3Gb on C:. Plus my LG might be getting bit old.

Or…Comodo works better than expected and blocks some built-in Nero Spy!!! Time for some online/offline burn tests :P.

Hi Avian Pavian!

So, how did you manage to burn DVD’s? Did you uninstall CPF?
I just recognized that I can’t choose burning speed!!!
My burner is able to burn at a speed of 20x. My DVD is able to be burned at 16x.
BUT: When I want to start burning in Nero, there is just the option: 8x!!!

I tried several things: NO prgram was running in background, I was online, I was offline but ALWAYS the same effect: unknown Error while burning…

How did you move the Nero cache to an other partition?

Thanks for help

Didn’t uninstall CPF (kinda like it), just did that stuff mentioned in earlier post. As for burning speed, got that same problem. I’m definetely sure i was able choose it earlier. Around year ago or maybe bit more burning times also went up. Used to burn DVD in about 7-10 minutes, but since then it’s been 30-40 minutes and haven’t been able to set burning speed (4x on my LG). Tried everything on Configuration but so far no success (because sometimes my dumb cats walk on keyboard and press who knows what Quick Button’s :D). But don’t burn DVD’s on daily basis so it’s no big deal.
Hmm, did i added more RAM around that time (to 1.5GB…messes up Nero?). Nowdays burning caches goes through some 25%-100% during burning while it used stay at steady 100% through the whole burning process.

Cache
Go to Nero > Nero OEM > Nero Express “Which recorder would you like to use?” screen (or get there through Nero StartSmart > Applications > Nero Express) and choose ‘More’. Then ‘Configure’ and ‘Cache’ from window that pops. Type where you want to cache to be beneath ‘Path for cache’. Not sure if directory needs to exist or Nero makes one (got one ready myself on E:\TempDirE), but if it whines, just make directory and then apply path.
I’ve also unchecked all boxes on ‘Database’ window. Don’t think Nero needs to access internet and find some additional info about what i’m burning. Or worse yet, send some info.

Got Nero updated, so dunno if we both need some mysterious ‘firmware update’ for LG people talk about. But can’t help with that, otherwise would have it myself too :P. Gonna get some DVD’s and burn some room on choking hd, i’ll post how it went here later.

Ok, just burned two DVD’s succesfully:

[i]30.12.2007
ISO compilation
17:26:19 #1 Text 0 File Isodoc.cpp, Line 6179
Iso document burn settings
------------------------------------------
Determine maximum speed : TRUE
Simulate : FALSE
Write : TRUE
Finalize CD : TRUE
Multisession : FALSE
Burning mode : DAO
Mode : 1
ISO Level : 1 (Max. of 11 = 8 + 3 char)
Character set : ISO 9660
Joliet : TRUE
Allow pathdepth more than 8 directories : TRUE
Allow more than 255 characters in path : TRUE
Write ISO9660 ;1 file extensions : TRUE

—blabla—

17:28:04 #23 Text 0 File DVDPlusRW.cpp, Line 648
Start write address at LBA 0
DVD high compatibility mode: Yes

17:56:34 #24 Text 0 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 116
start writing Lead-Out at LBA 2138464 (20A160h), lenght 0 blocks

17:56:35 #25 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 228
all writers idle, stopping conversion

17:56:55 #26 Phase 37 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
Burn process completed successfully at 4x (5 540 KB/s)[/i]

If you’re still having problems, do some hardware testing. Borrow a DVD-burner (from different manufacturer) from a friend or get some USB burner from shop (and return it after test). If there’s still problems, Nero might be the reason = find an alternative program for burning.

And post link here if you do, been looking for one myself. Like too many originally good programs, Nero is getting bloated with irrevelant features. Hopefully wont ever see SpyBot Media Player…Wise Registry Cleaner Photo Album…well you get the idea.

So, now I’ve tried several things:

First I formated my PC, then I tried on a “nude” Windows xp Nero, Ashampoo Burning Suite and an OpenSurce Burning Program.
Result: Everywhere “Unknown Recorder Failure” (or similar!)
I was online, offline, no program running in background, no Windows updates, all Windows updates, Windows Firewall on and off…
So I think I tried EVERYTHING! Only ONE thing is sure: Comodo was NOT the reasen (because without Comodo it doesn’t work too… (:AGY))

So I contacted my vendor and I will send him back this burner and he’ll send me a new one…
So I hope this will work

find an alternative program for burning. And post link here if you do, been looking for one myself. Like too many originally good programs, Nero is getting bloated with irrevelant features.

I use Ashampoo Burning Studio and highly recommend it! Works perfectly, has all the necessary features, easy to use and is a fraction of the size of Nero! (Around 21 - 23MB from what I remember). I use Ashampoo Burning Studio on a daily basis and would never go back to Nero now - it’s so bloated, confusing and difficult to use IMO, I just don’t understand why so many people continue to use it.

I dont like the new bloat version Nero either but some of the older builds might work ok. Worth a go if people like it.