Driver Genius

Is DriverGenius - found in my “Documents” menu with an “Update.bat” file the same DriverGenius that is referred to in this program?

I have no traces of the program in “Programs and Features”, only within the Documents folder, so should I delete it?

As far as I can tell, it’s not serving any purpose if the main program isn’t installed.

Is there a folder of Driver Genius in your Program Files folder?

What else what you think belongs to Driver Genius is in the Documents folder (I assume you mean folder when you said menu)?

A program installed in the Documents folder is suspect in my eyes.

Yes.

As far as I know, nothing else.

There’s no sign of “Driver Genius” in “Programs and Features”.

The only other program I’m a bit unsure about is in Program Files:

Install Shield Installation

However, upon opening the folder, it references to “VLC” (VLC Media Player) which is safe, so the ISI and its contents must be safe.

Oddly though, “desktop.ini” is in this folder and in two parts of my Desktop. Not sure what they’re doing there.

I’ve opened the “Driver Genius” folder within the Documents folder, but not the file, as it may be a system file and in case it’s dangerous. I wasn’t sure whether to open up even the folder, but did this to see what the contents are, in case it helps determine the safety or danger of the file.

It says:

Name: Update.dat
Type: Video CD Movie
Size: 1 KB

In Properties it says the program will open with Nero Show Time. Nero, itself is a safe program, but the Video CD Movie file in Driver Genius was installed by the engineer who set up my computer a few weeks later. As such, it may be a safe test file of some kind, but I’m unsure.

I’ve also found some folders in “Documents” are obsolete and no longer accessible, eg the old “My Documents”. I assume they’re safe to delete, but I won’t touch anything unless you or others recommend it.

Lately, I have also found $ next to a small number of existing but unopened programs, which would normally signify they’re open, but the above probably have no direct connection to Driver Genius.

I’ll double check with you first, but in case you’re right, I’ll delete the folder and its file if you say it’s safe to do so.

It apparently did get installed but did not register in Programs and Features.

There's no sign of "Driver Genius" in "Programs and Features".

The only other program I’m a bit unsure about is in Program Files:

Install Shield Installation

However, upon opening the folder, it references to “VLC” (VLC Media Player) which is safe, so the ISI and its contents must be safe.

Oddly though, “desktop.ini” is in this folder and in two parts of my Desktop. Not sure what they’re doing there.

Normal and not pertinent to the case.

I've opened the "Driver Genius" folder within the Documents folder, but not the file, as it may be a system file and in case it's dangerous. I wasn't sure whether to open up even the folder, but did this to see what the contents are, in case it helps determine the safety or danger of the file.

It says:

Name: Update.dat
Type: Video CD Movie
Size: 1 KB

In Properties it says the program will open with Nero Show Time. Nero, itself is a safe program, but the Video CD Movie file in Driver Genius was installed by the engineer who set up my computer a few weeks later. As such, it may be a safe test file of some kind, but I’m unsure.

.Dat extension is used for a variety of purposes usually referring to the fact that the file contains data but also sometimes used for video files.

In short a red herring and not pertinent for the case.

I've also found some folders in "Documents" are obsolete and no longer accessible, eg the old "My Documents". I assume they're safe to delete, but I won't touch anything unless you or others recommend it.
Are you using Windows Vista or newer? Then the My Documents is a shortcut. Not pertinent to the case.
Lately, I have also found $ next to a small number of existing but unopened programs, which would normally signify they're open, but the above probably have no direct connection to Driver Genius.

I’ll double check with you first, but in case you’re right, I’ll delete the folder and its file if you say it’s safe to do so.

Can you post some examples of names of unopened programs with $ in it? Probably unrelated.

The picture is clearer now. Driver Genius is installed in Program Files yet it is not registered in Program and Features. Does it have an uninstaller in the installation folder?

Do you remember installing it? Do you use it? Do you need it? If not uninstall it. In case you did not install it it may have come with a free program you installed.

If not by the engineer, I could have unwittingly installed it without realizing as part of another, probably program. Difficult to tell for sure.

I’ve seen different opinions on “Install Shield Installation”, some saying it’s malware, others saying it’s a safe system program, so I’ve left it intact.

I have uploaded the “Update.dat” file to Valkyrie, which said “Active” and “No PE file”, whatever that means.

“32e26dc2d5cca93d3edd49cce05e7477d0b36e68”

It then recommended me to upload to Virus Total where it says ““There was an error trying to upload the file”, so I’m still at a loss as to whether this file is safe and why an error occurred.

I am using Windows Vista. Not sure why “My Documents” and other old folders are still there, unless it’s because I had a Dual Boot done to incorporate the original C (now F) drive.

The vast majority of programs I have open lose the “$” symbol the moment they’re closed, but lately, for some reason, a small number continue to display the “$” symbol to the left of the files, even when I’m not using the files. I’ve since found that these “$” files are system files, but not the main files. Not realizing until today that they are system files, I had deleted a small number (not every occasion they’ve appeared), thankfully without any repercussions. All that happens is that the “$” files merely reappear once I reopen Documents before I open the main files. I’m not sure how much detail you require, but the random named files are tagged with “.docx”, both the main files and the system files. 99% of them don’t have any the system file extras while closed and the ones tagged with the system files extras are not affected in the main files.

Driver Genius is installed in “Documents” only, but not in Programs and Features. There is no uninstaller in the installation folder. I don’t remember this program being installed, but if it was, it’s long since been removed, other than the Documents folder and Update.dat file. I’ve never used Driver Genius’s Update.dat file. I only came across it recently, puzzled why it’s there. It could be safe, but I can’t be sure. I’d open it, if I could be sure it would be blocked, if unsafe, but I’m not so sure that would be a good idea.

Is “Office Genuine Advantage” best retained or deleted? I have Office Suite 2007.

As stated Installshield folder is not pertinent or the case. It’s for Installshield installer used in many installer.

I have uploaded the “Update.dat” file to Valkyrie, which said “Active” and “No PE file”, whatever that means.

“32e26dc2d5cca93d3edd49cce05e7477d0b36e68”

It then recommended me to upload to Virus Total where it says ““There was an error trying to upload the file”, so I’m still at a loss as to whether this file is safe and why an error occurred.

A .dat file cannot be executed therefor VT is not accepting it.

I am using Windows Vista. Not sure why “My Documents” and other old folders are still there, unless it’s because I had a Dual Boot done to incorporate the original C (now F) drive.
Windows Vista and up use these shortcuts to redirect programs that are using XP style paths.
The vast majority of programs I have open lose the “$” symbol the moment they’re closed, but lately, for some reason, a small number continue to display the “$” symbol to the left of the files, even when I’m not using the files.

I’ve since found that these “$” files are system files, but not the main files. Not realizing until today that they are system files, I had deleted a small number (not every occasion they’ve appeared), thankfully without any repercussions. All that happens is that the “$” files merely reappear once I reopen Documents before I open the main files. I’m not sure how much detail you require, but the random named files are tagged with “.docx”, both the main files and the system files. 99% of them don’t have any the system file extras while closed and the ones tagged with the system files extras are not affected in the main files.

Files with $ and docx extension are files that are opened in Microsoft Word. It’s a copy that Word keeps when editing. When you close a document they will disappear. When Word crashes or gets terminated unexpectedly these files will remain.

As to the system files with $ in the name. Can you post a screenshot? Sometimes a picture tells more than a 1000 words can tell.

Driver Genius is installed in “Documents” only, but not in Programs and Features. There is no uninstaller in the installation folder. I don’t remember this program being installed, but if it was, it’s long since been removed, other than the Documents folder and Update.dat file. I’ve never used Driver Genius’s Update.dat file. I only came across it recently, puzzled why it’s there. It could be safe, but I can’t be sure. I’d open it, if I could be sure it would be blocked, if unsafe, but I’m not so sure that would be a good idea.
If you're not using it simply delete the Driver Genius files and folder.

Then run Eusing Free Registry Scanner and Auslogics Registry Cleaner to get rid of registry keys related to Driver Genius.

Is “Office Genuine Advantage” best retained or deleted? I have Office Suite 2007.
Is this a file or a folder with this name ? Or is it installed?