Dragon update service causing loss of window focus every 30 minutes

The Dragon updater service in Comodo Dragon 29.1.0.0 is causing Windows to lose focus at precise 30 minute intervals. Fullscreen Netflix video exits fullscreen, and games on Steam minimize to the desktop during these events. On top of that, any windows with focus will lose that focus for a fraction of a second whenever this happens.

I used Process Explorer (set to update at 1-second intervals because the loss of focus is very brief) to see that at these intervals, processes run that are ultimately launched by dragon_updater.exe. Upon disabling the Dragon updater service, the symptoms stop.

I believe that this began happening upon updating Dragon from 29.0.0.0 to 29.1.0.0.

Additional info:

PLUGINS:

Chromoting Viewer
Uplay PC 1.0.0.0
BitCometAgent 201111103
Google Earth Plugin 7.1.1.1888
Java 10.25.2.17
NVIDIA 3D 7.17.13.1106
Silverlight 5.1.20913.0
VLC Web Plugin 2.0.2
iTunes Application Detector 1.0.1.1
Google Update 1.3.21.165
Google Talk 4.8.2.15856
Adobe Flash Player 11.9.900.117
Windows Presentation Foundation 3.5.30729.1

Windows 7 x64
UAC Enabled
Installation on C:[default Win7 install directory]
Logged in as Administrator

Hello,

Please look for the following registry value and check if it has the correct value:
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout. The value should be 30d40 (hexadecimal) or 200000 (decimal).

If the value contains incorrect data you can change it, reset your system and check if the issue reproduces.

Regards.

Hi,

Just reporting that I had the same issue. I had that comodo dragon installed since a while but never used it.

The issue started around 1 week ago, after installing windows 8.1 . So I’m not sure if it’s related to the Dragon version or to win 8.1.

It started to do this same ‘stealing focus’ thingy every 30 exact minutes. (I wrote a little soft to watch windows focus changes, the related executables, and write some logs)

I havn’t done any registry check, since I don’t use it I just uninstalled it, and no more windows focus problems.

edit
Just more chronological details, if it can help localize/correct the problem :

• I installed the comodo dragon this year after installing win8. (end of march 2013).
  • I never did any update of any commodo products. (I don’t know if the dragon updater make a siltent update ? or if there is anykind of popup to say that an update has been done. but I don’t reacall having any update done that I’m aware of)
  • I kept my windows up to date with win update.
  • I upgraded to 8.1 the day it was available and the problem started.

Hello,

This issue is related to the CMC feature introduced in version 29.1.0.0. You can disable CMC by doing the following:

You can find more details on this feature in the release notes.

We will be investigating this issue and provide a solution in a future release.

Regards.

omg! thanks martini1179 and macbig273

i’ve just finally found what minimizes my fullscreen games.
i’ve searched on the web but never found the correct solution (reinstall drivers, deactivate programs from startup, antivirus scan, run games with special modes, deactivate aero, change registry key etc…)

so i tryed the process monitor program and i had to find the correct cause among thousands process…
after analyse this list, i finally conclude that my minimize games problems were triggered by the comodo dragon updater.

so after reading this topic https://forums.comodo.com/help-cd/comodo-dragon-updater-t80965.0.html i decided to stop comodo dragon services.

but would it be enough or have i to disable CMC as said by george-silviu?

A bit of a curiosity question I am hoping you can answer. I had this problem as well but I have NEVER enabled CMC, in fact I find it completely useless, so why am I experiencing this? I checked my registry key and my value is set to 0 but what I don’t get is why change it to the value you gave? Just like to know the logic behind it, thanks.

even with the correct key (30d40) you will have the issue (i had the correct key but i had the problem)
you really need to stop the comodo dragon updater.

Hello,

Windows has a built-in feature that prevents pop-ups from taking over an active window. That feature is activated through the registry value I mentioned in my previous post and its default value is: 30d40 (hexadecimal) or 200000 (decimal).

We now go to the second part of the issue:

This behavior did not reproduce when I tested with the default key value. In order to reproduce the issue I had to change the value to 0. That is why I asked what that value was and suggested changing it.

It would seem that in ahahah’s case the issue was caused by something else so, on some systems, the issue reproduces regardless of the value set in the registry. If possible ahahah, I’d like you to add a complete bug report to this thread so I can try to replicate the issue with the default registry value.

Our team is already working towards fixing the issue and we hope to provide a solution in the next release.

Thank you.

in my case i have fixed the problem by disabling the comodo dragon updater service.
if you want to replicate the issue you just have to enable it.

I had the problem too but just setting the Message Center value to 0 eliminated it. I didn’t change anything else. The Dragon Updater is still enabled.

you sure about that? I have the setting that says no one gets to steel the screen on my system, which means NOTHING that opens can grab front window and EVERYONE respects that, so I doubt this setting would be the issue.

This behavior did not reproduce when I tested with the default key value. In order to reproduce the issue I had to change the value to 0. That is why I asked what that value was and suggested changing it.

Could it be that you test system is configured same as mine and somehow the app is respecting it on that system but not everyone’s? Just wondering.

I am with @Dch48 on this, disabling updating is overkill, that can be enabled while stopping this behavior with stopping CMC which I have done. Just wondering why I am not getting the resolved behavior of Dch48 even though I have the same configuration it seem. :THNK

If anyone is finding the disable CMC regedit is not functioning as intended for whatever reason, a quick fix workaround would be to uninstall ‘Dragon’ and install ‘Dragon Portable’.
CMC is not included when run in portable mode.
Portable Version

Have both, it happens on Portable version too, even without the CMC. Just wanted to let you know. Although I will concede that it might be happening due to the desktop version even when in portable usage. Same system after all if the desktop version exists.

It is possible. This means that the registry value is not the only factor in the equation (the graphics driver is a good example).

You can try disabling the update service temporarily to check if it solves the issue. We would also like to know what this test results in for you so we can fix any errant behavior related to CMC.

Thank you.

Agreed.

You can try disabling the update service temporarily to check if it solves the issue. We would also like to know what this test results in for you so we can fix any errant behavior related to CMC.

Thank you.

Disabled the updater service as you recommended, which was a bit of a juggle given the other issue you and I are trying to resolve and stopped happening. Anything else you want me to try?

Welcome, it benefits us all.