Does empty log mean firewall not working ?

:frowning: Using Comodo firewall 3.9.95478.509 on Win XP home

Have a number of settings checked “Log as a firewall event if this rule is fired”

Firewall logs show nothing ! How do I know if firewall is even working?

Have used previous version with no problem. And YES I did a clean uninstall before I loading updated version which had been saved to disk.

Hope this is a simple fix,if not then must conclude that this app is not for me.
If a just average user can’t get this to preform correctly then its worthless to anybody but a security expert (then only maybe)

Hi Twig, have you run the “Stealth Ports Wizard” and selected “Block all incoming connections Stealth my ports to everyone”?
The only reason i ask this is because this creates a “Global rule” → Allow IP out from IP any to IP any where protocol is any
If not we need to create one and set it to log(Below). If yes just Edit the IP out rule so that logging is ticked.

Go to Firewall->Advanced->Network Security Policy->Global Rules
Now click on “Add”->create the rule:
Action=Allow Tick the box “Log as a firewall event if this rule is fired”
Protocol=IP
Direction=OUT
Description IP out logging rule
Source Address=Any
Destination Address=Any
IP Details=Any

This should now log all IP out requests.
Also please have a look under Miscellaneous/Settings/Logging->It should be set to 2MB with none of the disable boxes checked.
What items have you selected for loging? Plus after you select View firewall events do you click More?

Matt

Hey Matt
Did the: Stealth Ports Wizard" and selected “Block all incoming connections Stealth my ports to everyone”?
Had been set for “Define a new trusted network stealth my ports to EVERYONE else”
It said that it “Has been configured accordingly” but on reopening option window am back to old setting.
Do I need to reboot for setting to take effect?

Also did the: Go to Firewall->Advanced->Network Security Policy->Global Rules
Now click on “Add”->create the rule:
Action=Allow Tick the box “Log as a firewall event if this rule is fired” ect ect

selected for loging was: Predefined Firewall Policies - Web Browser - Block and log all unmatching req.
Also in Network Security Policy - Application Rules - Windows\explorer.exe IP out any
Application Rules - Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe allow IP out any
Global Rules - Block and Log IP in from IP any where protocol is any - Block IP - In
Thought that these settings would get somekind of action - nothing AND I CHECKED FOR MORE
Have 33 intrusion attempts so far this morning and logs show nothing!

Don’t know much else to tell ya ,security level set to Safe Mode, did a clean uninstall (used REVO) before undating from download on disk, installed in "Clean PC’’ did the system scan, then ONE online update.

The Stealth Ports Wizard setting going back to what it first was bothers me.
Am I looking at a possible un then reinstall of Comodo ?

Thank You For Your Time Get back to me at first opportunity