Does Comodo have too many pop ups?

The word is “lose”.

ok lets start with:
which application you run is giving you a popup?
which application you install, even though you tick the install mode is giving you lots of popups?
do you have any other security software installed?
What is your OS?

thanks
Melih

do you moderators these or only the good ones?

I am wondering the exact same thing about you! I’ve installed CIS many times without so much as 1 pop-up so I have an extremely hard time relating to these ‘tons of problems’ you keep citing. Comodo is the most user friendly pop-up free computer security system with the very best protection I’ve ever used plus its light on system resources so I find your posturing and claims completely incongruent with my own Comodo experience.

~Maxx~

+1 :-TU
Popups occur with software installation, unless you switch to Installation Mode. Then you may still get a few (1 to 5) popups, but NOTHING like what’s being described by v941726. I have been using CIS since it first came out in Beta and have seen popups decrease with each version of CIS released, some versions being specifically directed at reducing popups. Adding signed executables to the trusted vendors list also helps to minimize popups. Comodo has added trusted vendors the last 1 or 2 versions. Individual users have had that option for I don’t remember how long. The bottom line is if you don’t want to get popups, you can successfully set CIS to get very few popups. Me thinks v941725 doth protest waaaay too much.

meant; read all the problems people are clearly having

of course they have. you guys dont want to hear constructive criticism. i expected that. whenever i tell it like it is, my posts get moved

Your posts were moved to a more appropriate section. As you can see, these CIS release topics often become a mess after a while.

I also think that Comodo give too many alerts. I installed it for my aunt yesterday. The first alert she got was “ekrn.exe want to access the internet”. My interogation is, why a process as popular as NOD32 are not already in the safe process list? 90+% of user will not know what ekrn.exe is without searching the Internet. Even with the Threatcast Rating, a majority of user will feel unconfortable to allow or disallow a software to access the Internet. 99%+ of user will want ekrn.exe to access the Internet too.

Maybe that Comodo could have an online database updated regulary for a safe apps list, it could be updated on a dayly basis, instead of a local one, needing an software update to be effective. (maybe it’s already the case)

In my opinion, they should be a way to run comodo and to receive alert only when an unknow or unsafe application want to access the Internet. In other words, they should be a way to use it like the Windows firewall with normal apps (NOD32, Mirc, Pidgin, uTorrent, etc).

Bump :wink:

I used CIS for a while, and once started a thread here on how excessive popups were hurting CIS’s credibility and popularity among average computer users.

I have recommended CIS to well over 50 people among family, friends, and business associates. Many of them had to remove it because the popups were “driving them nuts”. I know exactly what they mean, it can get tedious and frustrating. When you select “Trusted Program”, that should mean every function and child process the program opens is trusted, and it should never throw another popup related to that program.

Having said that, I too have noticed the popups have reduced somewhat. I think there is still much work to be done in this regard. I know it isn’t easy. Trusted applications reminds me of New York City. One can know and trust thousands of New Yorkers, but one can’t be acquainted with everyone in the city

ESET is already listed in Trusted vendors. So the first question would be “Why ESET did not digitally sign ekrn.exe?”

That is how “Installation mode” works and a specific alert to remember users to disable that mode are provided. Trusted application policy have few restrictions fro Run an executable and File folder access rights. But a custom predefined policy could override these too.

There are four different configurations in CIS which also provide different altert levels. COMODO - Internet security default may be more suited for those installing CIS the first time.

There are also training modes for D+ and firewall to speed up policy setup. Those options are obviously one click away…

Apparently there are some that are willing to act as speech-persons for a not clearly defined group of users/habits and yep, some are also willing to throw in “popularity” and “credibility”.

I don’t know, I wasn’t even knowing it was working like this. Maybe that Comodo could use an automatic MD5 verification process with a progress bar on the first run when a file is not signed. Then, if the MD5 don’t correspond to anything in the online database, user action is needed. It could “easily” remove 80% of the remaining popups.

My point was anyway that the average user may not want to use comodo with “frequent” and mostly useless (read software not harfmul) popups.

Exactly what I would like as well. The whitelist should be automatically updated along with the AV definitions on at least a daily basis.

It’s only that you are actually telling it like it isn’t. Yes, there are problems, no one denies that. But the popups you are screaming about are actually very reasonable these days. You’re obviously using a configuration that isn’t optimal for low popups.

I posted the configuration I use, and even installed a file that you said gave you a lot of popups when installing in install mode. I had one single popup! It was D+ telling me that the installer wanted to do something. I told it to treat it as an installer/updater. Clicked Yes to switch to installation mode and let it do its thing. Done! Not a single popup after entering installation mode. Pretty painless install if you ask me! Even a grandma could deal with that. Of course, you never responded to that post… 88)

And no, I don’t use a “techie” config, simply the default config and setting AV to stateful, and the firewall and D+ to safe mode. Takes all of five seconds to configure, and definitely not a “techie” process. I installed CIS on my sisters machines, and her and her young children can use it just fine. My sister is as non-computer savvy as they come. Her kids even less. They have yet to complain about popups.

He already mentioned Office and WinRar. I don’t use or have access to Office, but I did download and install WinRar. I got the initial popup that the installer wanted to do something. I told D+ to treat it as an installer/updater, clicked Yes and didn’t see another popup…

As for the other questions, we’ve asked and asked for more information on his setup and he ignores that.

I use CIS with its default configuration and I am very happy with it,.
it would be great if CIS maintains prevention as its first line of defense but becomes more automated(style of NIS 09).

Go luck Comodo team.

The only pop-ups that I have ever gotten were concerning programs that were new to Comodo and considered a potential security risk.

For those who want a security program with no bothersome pop-ups that will allow virtually any new program to run without the hassle of checking its security status with the operator I would suggest NIS 2009 its completely hassle free and designed to be so user friendly that anyone can run it without the complications of security checks . The downside is that it only scores 40/340 on the Comodo Leak Tests, but who cares its hassle free, right!?

~Maxx~

NIS 2009 is an excellent program and I suspect the Comodo leak test is designed to promote Comodo. That’s okay but take it with several grains of salt.