Does CIS scan incoming emails?

Does CIS scan incoming emails? I use Outlook 2007.

Don’t think so, but D+ will stop execution of nasty attachments.

I use Avast with on-access (Standard Shield) off and the e-mails are scanned by Internet Mail Shield, or I use Avast fully on and CIS’ AV off.

Email scanners are useless. They don’t increase security because the file guard of any AV will catch the malware when it is going to get unpacked by starting it out of the mail archive.
And it also may be not too easy to program a properly and fastly working traffic scanner.

Useful if you don’t want your inbox have malware and Antivirus can’t remove email file in your client program.
You should delete email manually.

Note. For Antivirus that’s didn’t have D+ or other defense module only.

Hi viper,

In addition and in support to what evil_religion posted:

Actually it is not necessary and even dangerous to have real-time e-mail scanning.
(please don’t confuse this with “onAccess” scanning by AV Guard and by manually scanning e-mail storage – that is fine and necessary).

It is advisable and highly recommended disabling real-time e-mail scanning by any AV, since that is the main cause of corruption of e-mail.
In many cases it cannot be recovered. Especially those clients keeping all incoming e-mails in one file (like Thunderbird, if I am not mistaken) are very vulnerable.
Sure you always have to maintain email backups.

There are few discussions here in the forum
Below is what was written already in one of the existing threads, but mainly just check those links referred and you will get the picture.

My regards

....I will just comment on e-mail scanning by AV..... ….

Real-time E-mail scanning must be disabled in AV – any AV. It is just a disaster waiting to happen – time bomb – one day you as many victims already will lose all their email irrecoverable.

onAcsess” feature of AV and “Off-line”/on demand scanning of e-mail folders is sufficient and enough.

There are hundreds articles already over the years about that .There shouldn’t be questions about that, as I understand. Many are never using this feature, I never used it. I always being notified by AV and/or malware scanner about suspects in e-mails.

Examples:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx (#3)

I’ll put below just a few quotes and links regarding the subject
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/31904470/cant-receive-or-send-ema.aspx
Pa Bear’s credentials as a Mail and Security expert
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no additional protection, it may be causing the problems, and even Symantec says it's not necessary: Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have the most recent virus definitions.
In addition of not using AV e-mail scan as a cause of corruption there are advices for Outlook users how to manage Identities and avoiding automatic compacting emails; not using Main InBox and Sent Box as a storage but rather moving messages from there into specially created folders, etc. Here is a very good quote from http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-mail/198561-disabling-email-scanning.html
There is some anecdotal evidence that the newer Windows Live Mail is more resistant to corruption from aggressive antivirus programs, so an alternative for you would be to try it
More resistant? :) Well done, Live Mail! … but why one should wait for the antivirus corrupting email?

“The Most Common Cause of Corruption” by Tom Koch from Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx#EOAAC
(read the main page as well)

…etc,… hundreds of good articles to support the necessity of “Turning OFF” real-time scanning by Antiviruses

Find articles and discussions like above by Googling e.g.: “do I need antivirus email scanning”; “disabling email scanning” and so on…

Thanks for the info., SiberLynx, I didn’t know about that.

I don’t know how Avast scans e-mail, but I have PopTray that checks the mail every 10 minutes and Avast will pick up suspicious messages at that point.
I’ve used Avast in this mode for several years now and, so far as I know, never had corruption.

Over these years I’ve used Eudora 6, 7 and 8, Shredder (Thunderbird) builds updated weekly and also Pocomail.

Up to 2 years ago I was getting and sending about a thousand mails a year with attachments up to 2MB plus ordinary ones and never ‘lost’ an attachment.

Might be just lucky :slight_smile:

Hi giraffe,

You are welcome. That is common mistake thinking that the said service is helpful.
We all learn and that’s fine.
Sure you were (is) lucky regarding your email box…
but I personally was involved in recovery process of the e-mail on a corporate level during one of my contracts (nothing to do with e-mails. I am just a programmer in completely different area)… Anyway that wasn’t pleasant experience

As for PopTray , you mentioned I am not sure what particular Software & feature you are referring to. If that is just one of those “notify me about something new in my Inbox” that is different thing.

The damage by AV’s real-time is made when (in popular) - you hit “Receive All e-mails”
they are scanned upon filling in your Inbox. That is where interruptions and corruptions occur due this absolutely useless feature

Even on corporate level that is done differently - you get all emails without interruption placing them into Temporary location; then when receiving ended - you scan that Temp location (off-line); then deliver into the respective Inboxes.

Cheers!

It’s more of a marketing gimmick >:(

Thanks for the advice guys ;D You guys really know your stuff :-TU