Do you use an AV with CFP 3 or not?

Hi Guys,

Would be interested to know if you use Anti-Virus Software with CFP 3 or not?

Pls also state your reasons, Why or Why not?

Let’s start voting & discussing!

Josh

No. It was the same with 2.4 if you can believe it. Why not? I know what I’m doing. I’ve experimented without one for several months then ran a couple diff AV’s and my PC was :-TU. Even lured LA in joining my madness ^_^. Another reason is I like to have as less programs as necessary - for cleanliness/speed/less headaches/things to deal with/also grew weary of having to update definitions every single day.

I download stuff everyday. I have gottin into the habit of scanning everything I download. ZIPS.RARS,EXE’s anything. I use Avira Premium 8 and why not. Its light.

HI!

I use AVG 8.0 Free because when you made wrong choices when the hipsmodule prompts you to make a selection, or you made a wrong selection when the firewall warns you about an inbound/outbound connection, then at least I have AVG 8.0 that can save my day! An antivirus program is also not an unecessary luxury when you download a lot through peer to peer programs.

Even when you are not connected to the internet a good av program is needed, this because portable media also can contain malicious software. You can think about the abuse of the automatic run feature of portable media.

There have been also reports about some new harddrives contains viruses. There were been installed in factories of big harddrive manufactures like Seagate. This was done for testing purposes, but people forgot to delete them.

As I said before: It is not stupid or useless to add extra layer of protection to your pc, BUT it is stupid and useless to remove extra layer of protection.

Ofcourse there will be legitimate reasons to remove layers, but that is not the point in this topic.

Okey, Have a goodday gentlemen!

(V) (B) :THNK

Used to, but don’t now. I find that’s CFP, combined with an awareness of what I’m doing, is sufficient for me. That doesn’t mean it is or is not sufficient for everyone, just me.

I don’t use an AV Anymore either.

Why? Because I rarely do P2P anymore, I rarely download & install stuff & I only use web based Email.

Only programs I use are Firefox, MSN & that is it. & Also Frost wire but I am extremely careful, believe me.

Therefore, I can monitor my activities now.

Josh

I haven’t been using an Av for a few weeks now. I don’t do dangerous surfing so I don’t feel the need to use an Av.
Even when I did have an Av, It didn’t pick anything up because I didn’t\don’t Download risky files. I will be installing CAVs3 though :slight_smile: Because I support Comodo and their approach

yes, like that i don’t need to use defense+ when kaspersky detects a malware.
defense+ helps me when a file isnt detected by kasper and i’m not sure of the AV result.
defense+ tells me what the file wants to do so i can see if the file is unknown by kasper and is a malware with the alerts of defense+ so i can block the file before it can attack the system.
by the way, the new version of kasper is really better than version 7.0 :slight_smile:
i use superadblocker too to clean the screen from all those crapy ads coming from everywhere and all pop-ups.
it blocks all types of ads and popups except it’s not compatible with opera browser.
it works with IE and firefox.
i use IE7 with vista cause it runs faster than others browsers on this OS (my opinion, on vista here, IE7 runs really fast, better than firefox or opera wich is my favorite browser).
it’s not the same with xp. IE7 doesnt work fast like it does on vista.

comodo FW is a great security prog but an AV saves time to detect known malwares, i can’t use defense+ with all progs, it would take too many times to answer all alerts that popup when u launch a prog.
sometimes u have to answer more than 10 or 20 defense+ alerts, so if the AV detects a malware, i dont need to check the file with defense+.

Not true about D+. I can get D+ to work with any program. I have over 200 programs installed on both my pc’s and Comodo works with them all. I took the time to manually add all my files to the firewall and D+ to avoid tons of pop ups. Worls like a charm and i only get alerts when I install something new.

Nope, never at home. I use Comodo firewall (without D+) and Firefox. I don’t visit strange sites and I’m downloading from trusty sources.

But to be fair, once at a couple of months I run sysclean from Trend and SuperAntispyware. Until now, no problems (dual boot XP32 SP3 and Vista64 SP1).

I find it funny when some people say they don’t use an anti-virus because they know what they’re doing.

If you did know what you were doing, they you wouldn’t even need a ■■■■ firewall. Period.

A good firewall + behavior analazys security tool + anti-exploit security tool + a decent free anti-virus offer a great protection.

For the ones saying that comodo firewall /+ firefox is enough is quite wrong. Why? Comodo firewall is a great firewall indeed, but it does not protect you from everything. Like what? Exploits attempts.

You’d be surprised by the amount of times that Comodo Firewall Pro v3 lets those exploits happen. Like a charm.

I test its protection against known and “unknown” web sites, and most of the times LinkScanner Pro (anti-exploit solution) is the one preventing those exploits. Comodo Firewall Pro does not even notices them.

CFP3 + LinkScanner Pro make one hell of a team.

Don’t say you “know” what you’re doing. Even if you’re a security expert, remember, there is always someone smarter than you. Period.

I’m sure that the people that don’t use Av’s feel that they don’t need them because they don’t download nasty’s and have good browsing habits.

To get malware, you must download it onto your computer right? or someone to connect to your computer to transfer it. With CPF monitoring inbound\outbound connections… I think you will find getting struck by lighting 10 times more probable than getting maleware by leaving your computer on doing nothing…

Don't say you "know" what you're doing. Even if you're a security expert, remember, there is always someone smarter than you. Period.
No one here has said that they are smarter than any body else. No one has claimed to be better than anyone else. Just merely giving their views.

Good thread :slight_smile: looking forward to reading more views and opinions

You’d be surprised. A few weeks ago when I was going to open the home page of a known ISP (from my country), the anti-exploit tool I use prevented me to open it because it had malicious code on it that could exploit your system. I contacted the ISP and they confirmed their server got hacked, and were working on it. This is common nowadways. Bad known sites aren’t the danger. The ones we consider safe are the danger. If I had no anti-exploit tool, perhaps I would have to be cleaning some mess after the exploit attemptive.

I did not say that anyone was smarter than all the rest. Just not to think that there isn’t anyone smarter.

That was also my point of view. And a sort of advice. :wink:

That’s Fair enough.
Even Security Giants like Trend micro have been exploited before by malware on their sites lol.

In response to that, CPF3 D+ would alert you for anything attempting to run on your computer ( 99.99% ). And If you have common sense you wouldn’t allow it to run :slight_smile: Now I’m hitting the ball over to your side of the court, Security Tennis (:TNG)

I never said I was smart enough to filter packets on the fly.

A good firewall + behavior analazys security tool + anti-exploit security tool + a decent free anti-virus offer a great protection.

Yes, they do. And a good firewall, a disk virtualisation app, a sandbox and a drive imaging app make an equally good one, but that’s just my opinion.

For the ones saying that comodo firewall /+ firefox is enough is quite wrong. Why? Comodo firewall is a great firewall indeed, but it does not protect you from everything. Like what? Exploits attempts.

You’d be surprised by the amount of times that Comodo Firewall Pro v3 lets those exploits happen. Like a charm.

I test its protection against known and “unknown” web sites, and most of the times LinkScanner Pro (anti-exploit solution) is the one preventing those exploits. Comodo Firewall Pro does not even notices them.

CFP3 + LinkScanner Pro make one hell of a team.

Ever heard of a product called Comodo Disk Shield??

Don't say you "know" what you're doing. Even if you're a security expert, remember, there is always someone smarter than you. Period.

And you, as well, my friend. All of us are equally entitled to our own opinions as to what constitutes sufficient security for our online existence. What is good enough for you may or may not be good enough for me, and the reverse is equally true.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Yes< I do I always have and find it better to be safe than later, I use Avast Pro and also spyware terminator. I use limewire a lot. I love music

Yes, i use avast 4.8 b.c it has saved me NUMEROUS times in the past. great real time protection and easy updates. wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Back in the days of Norton and McAfee which used tons of resources and everyone complained no one wanted to use an av but you had to. Now with HIPS your protection level has increased 2 fold but you still need an av in my eyes. Most av’s now a days use next to no resources and good protection comes free. So why wouldn’t you use an av. Better safe then sorry.

:-TU

Just because one “knows what they’re doing” doesn’t make a firewall useless either. It’s like travelling from point A to point B. I know how to get there. Does that make a car or airplane useless? It automates / makes the task quicker.

And of course the usual - depending on user preference/experience/knowledge/how much of an importance is prioritized in usage etc.