DNS responses are getting reported as a port scan?

How can I be sure this isn’t happening with the Comodo firewall?

I got this from the following thread:

http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=49

What is happening?

He has set up some rules that are far from default, and you have to be pretty sure about what you are doing before you do that.
CFP is the most secure firewall in the market with default settings, so I see no point in changing the settings like he has done.
He should install with auto, scan for known apps, go through the network wizard if he use a router/network, and then try it again, and see if it works.

I meant me personally, what can wwwdotcom do to make sure DNS responses are not being reported as a port scan? I have the default settings but a ton of ICMP violations.

I only posted the url to show source, the question is specific to me but if it helps others great.

I have never seen a port scan and/or DNS responses being reported as such.
There are some programs that can produce that I think, and if they do and are legit, you can increase the flood values in security/advanced/advanced attack detection and prevention, from the default 50 to something higher, and see if it helps.

I am getting sets of 4 or 5 ICMP requests over and over and over again.

Also, when I don’t use the computer for a while, my computer almost freezes up. I can’t use the taskbar but I can click icons. I try to log off or reboot and it stalls. I have to shut off the computer and reboot. Right now I don’t have Comodo running and I am going to see if the same problem occurs.

You can make a rule for ICMP so that they don’t end up in the log.

I find your posts no help. Please allow someone else to post.

It doesn’t seem that you want any help…
You just want to complain…
If you want help to set up a network rule so you don’t see the ICMP connections getting blocked, I can help you with that.
It’s not CFP’s fault that you get ICMP blocks in your log. It’s just doing it’s job.
If you want to allow them, just make a rule for it.

A really good idea would also be to install CFP so you can try the suggestion you are getting…

Read the FAQ pages.

IGNORE, waiting for other helpers.

Good…
While you wait, you can install the firewall… ;D

This is why I don’t want your help. You have no idea if I have it on or not. You are not willing to ask questions only assume, and now you are making fun of users.

I said I wasn’t running it. I never said I uninstalled it. Learn how to help people.

I am also testing so maybe at some point I will uninstall it.

You’re not the only one… using CFP 2.4 with everything at default (no zones, no extra network rules, no applications that CFP hasn’t alerted me to)… DNS requests show up in the log as port scan on my system. Btw, I’m using my ISP’s DNS servers and not OpenDNS.

Have you tried to increase the values I suggested earlier?

There are some programs that can produce that I think, and if they do and are legit, you can increase the flood values in security/advanced/advanced attack detection and prevention, from the default 50 to something higher, and see if it helps.

They were coming in sets of 4 or 5 not 50 at one time. I don’t see how increasing a total changes things. It’s not cumulative, but a rate.