Diskeeper Defragger

Hi, I am a new kid on the block but an old one :slight_smile:

I am reviewing/using a trial version of Diskeeper 2010. It reports hundreds of fragments that it is unable to remove. It turns out that these are associated with Comodo Quarantine. Now this file appears to be for the
exclusive use of Comodo. Currently, there is nothing in quarantine.

How can I defrag my hard disk properly. I have spoken to Diskeeper but so far they have not been helpful in resolving the issue.

Thanks,
Norman

Hi Nolly, welcome to the forums.

I would have thought that the easiest way would be to treat CIS’s Quarantine folder (and it’s contents) like pagefile.sys and exclude it from within Diskeeper.

Hello Nolly:

Download and try Auslogics Disk Defragmenter. It’s totally free and you can get it from filehippo.com or from the Auslogics website.

I spent years paying for Diskeeper and I found that there are always some files that it cannot move, even after a “Boot time” defrag.

The Auslogics defragger has no problems with Comodo in any way; you won’t have to exclude anything. Also the defragger is fast and thorough. Like Comodo’s CIS, it is putting the paid defragmenters to shame. (Note: Be sure to go into settings and set it to defrag system files.)

~Morris (www.magian10S.com) :wink:

I think MyDefrag is better, changed to it 1-2 years ago from Auslogics defragger.

@Lasse88: I only started using Auslogics Defragmenter last year after having tried MyDefrag. I was disappointed with MyDefrag. Perhaps Auslogics improved over the years since your initial trial. Give the latest version a test run. Perhaps Nolly can test drive both in order to make an informed choice.

Nevertheless, the point remains that Nolly does not have to be at the mercy of Diskeeper. It was not my intent to create a competition.

~Morris (Morris King Jr)

maybe, but i’ll stick with MyDefrag, and not all fragmentation is bad.

All.

Thanks you for your replies.

I think the point is being missed. It is not about what defragger I am using and I have tried many over the years, it is to do with Comodo locking (for want of a better word) the Quarantine folder. I cannot get at it neither can any defragger.

BTW, I have used Auslogics defragger but have moved on.

Norman

What is the reason for defragging ?

I can accept that file access is faster if the file is not fragmented,
but how is that relevant if the file is not accessed ?

I see no point in improving how quickly you can read or execute a dangerous file that is held in Quarantine,
just as there is no point defragging Restore Points if they are only read when you have broken the system and are trying to mend it - in which case you are thankful if it works and do not care if it could have loaded 2 seconds faster ! ! !

Alan

This would be fairly sound advice. Using the Diskeeper Exclusion settings, you can exclude quarantine folders so the fragmentation data will not skew analysis reports. This will also prevent the automatic defragmentation engines from using system resources in processing this data.

The idea behind the necessity to defragment quarantine files is that you do not have to unless you are under a low free space condition. With a low amount of free space, the fragmented data within the quarantine folder can create noticeable free space fragmentation.

The point is, you can exclude these files as recommended, but make sure to have adequate free space and monitor the amount of contiguous free space you have as this is where you can potentially run into performance issues down the road.

Older versions of Diskeeper’s default algorithms will only defragment files that exhibit negative performance issues, or data placement which creates free space fragmentation. This is done because the software is written for your typical corporate environment. Over time, mitigating excessive I/O usage while having the benefit of defragmentation is the goal.

Additionally, the Boot Time defrag really only targets the MFT and Page File, which are considered system files. Modern operating systems allow this data to be defragmented on the fly, so the boot-time defrag is sort of an after-though and something you would run on a system that has a heavily fragmented MFT/Page File. This is done merely for an immediate boost in overall performance versus handling the data over a period of time.