Disk imaging software - recommendations?

Just wondering if any of you use such software, and if so, do you have any recommendations?

I used to use an old copy of Ghost, but the binary seems to be borked and won’t install :frowning: So it’s time to look for something else. This time it needs to be freeware, yes I’m a cheapskate ;D

Toggie

I use DriveXML and it is included on the UBCD4Win boot cd. Have restored my C: drive image a bunch with it.

jasper

“Just wondering if any of you use such software, and if so, do you have any recommendations?”

For my money, and even the free version 7, Acronis True Image cannot be beat. Have had it for a long time, and never a problem. And quick backups also. Clone a new drive for your system, no problem. ;D

Lee (B)

I used to have something (well still have it, but it won’t work) called DriveCopy by PowerQuest. I think it was eaten by a Ghost. Awesome little doohickey. Bootdisk. Created a hidden image anywhere you wanted. Couldn’t be seen or touched. Need it? Use the bootdisk, restore the image. Or, if you’ve got two HD’s, just switch within that interface which one is the boot, for upgrading drives (then switch out the HD connectors, of course).

All the freebies now seem to have stipulations - won’t work on USB drive, won’t work on different sized drives, no bootable access, etc.

I’ve gone jasper’s route with UBCD4Win and Drive XML; the little cab file is a great thing.

LM

Paragon Drive Backup and Paragon Hard Disk Manager has saved my bacon so many times over the years, it’s not funny.

ewen :slight_smile:

Have to agree with panic. Paragon is good. I use Paragon 8 Disk Manager and it is awesome. I even got it free. Found it in Wilders Forum thread one night as a free download from Paragon.

jasper

jasper2408

use DriveXML and it is included on the UBCD4Win boot cd. Have restored my C: drive image a bunch with it.

Thank you, I’ll take a look at that :slight_smile:

Leebme

For my money, and even the free version 7, Acronis True Image cannot be beat. Have had it for a long time, and never a problem. And quick backups also. Clone a new drive for your system, no problem.

Acronis seem to make some good software, but they also seem to me some real hummers! I tried Migrate easy a while ago and it was so…not nice to my system :-[ But if V7 of True Image is free :slight_smile: I’ll take a look. Thanks :slight_smile:

Little Mac

I've gone jasper's route with UBCD4Win and Drive XML; the little cab file is a great thing.

I’ve been wanting to try UBCD4Win for ages, but at 175Mb for the download and a dial-up connection…Yikes, that’s something like 16 hours ??? 88) Ah well, one day…

Btw, what do you think of BartPE?

Panic/jasper

Paragon Drive Backup and Paragon Hard Disk Manager

Ah, how the other half live :wink:

Paragon 8 is still being offered free here:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/hdmanager8/index

All of the directions on what you have to do are on that page. It is about 23megs. I know it is not the newest version but it the full retail version and it works great.

jasper

Almost forgot, I used BartPE before UBCD4Win and you would have to add your own plugins, which is not hard, but some of the plugins are kinda iffy. What I like about UBCD4Win is it has the MBRFix on it. I dual boot Linux and WinXP so it makes it easier to get rid of Grub when I want to clean out the Linux partitions and try something else.

Paragon 8 is still being offered free here:

Thanks for that, but I have Partition magic 8, which is pretty much the same thing. Might be worth telling grampa I need HELP!!! [resolved - open] about this :slight_smile:

Almost forgot, I used BartPE before UBCD4Win and you would have to add your own plugins, which is not hard, but some of the plugins are kinda iffy. What I like about UBCD4Win is it has the MBRFix on it. I dual boot Linux and WinXP so it makes it easier to get rid of Grub when I want to clean out the Linux partitions and try something else.

I have found a number of plug-ins available, but haven’t tried any of it yet. Do you know if it has the ability to recover a lost linux boot loader?

Toggie

I honestly don’t know about that because I have never had to do it yet. I only use it to restore the MBR to XP and get rid of Grub. It has 6 or 8 options that can be used but I can’t remember off the top of my head as to what they are. I’ll check the next time I use it to see.

jasper

Ah feel yo’ pain, Toggie. I finally got off dial-up a couple years ago, now there’s no goin’ back!

I tried BartPE, as jasper noted, it was a little tricky. UBCD4Win was built with BartPE, so it has all that Bart’s has, plus some. All this will do, obviously, is create a super-duper-boot-disk. But you add DriveXML in there and can image to another drive…

LM

PS: I think you can order a CD version of UBCD4Win install package for about $10. Not 100% sure on that, tho.

jasper

I honestly don't know about that because I have never had to do it yet. I only use it to restore the MBR to XP and get rid of Grub. It has 6 or 8 options that can be used but I can't remember off the top of my head as to what they are. I'll check the next time I use it to see.

No worries, I was just curious :slight_smile:

Little Mac

PS: I think you can order a CD version of UBCD4Win install package for about $10. Not 100% sure on that, tho.

Thanks LM, I’ll check the details :slight_smile: