Disable CD autoplay

Many music CDs have programs too, which automatically execute when autoplay is enabled on the PC. For more info on the rootkit installed by Sony CDs, see:

One way to prevent this security hole is by disabling autoplay using Group Policy Editor:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/UserTips/Customization/DisableCDautoplayinWindowsXPPro.html

But this method is not available for home/basic versions of XP and Vista.

I successfully disabled autoplay on Win XP Pro using Microsoft’s Tweak UI with the instructions from (search for “autoplay”):
http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/SecureXP.html

Tweak UI is also handy for customizing many aspects of Windows XP.

Tweak UI may also work for Windows XP Home. I request that someone with XP Home try disabling autoplay and report the results in this thread. Also, please report if the “Run Group Policy Editor” button works in the About\Policy menu of Tweak UI.

If it works, it would be a convenient and easy-to-understand method for XP Home users. What is a good method for Vista Home users?

This solution is simple (in Vista). Simply select Start/Control Panel/Autostart and set your options (play/not play, run program / not run program).

What’s the best way to turn off autoplay / autorun in XP?

With picture

Try this link, Eric.

using tweakUI? :-La

Cheers people! It’s basic stuff I used to know but it had been awhile and a mare trying to find a decent weblink to the right info.

Chin chin! :wink:

The link I put in the first post instructs the user to access Tweak UI in the Control Panel. The latest version of Tweak UI is not in the Control Panel. Access like this:
Start > All Programs > Powertoys for Windows XP > Tweak UI

After I disabled autoplay for all drive types in the admin account with Tweak UI, I found that Tweak UI doesn’t present the option to enable autoplay for the limited user.

My experiments show that Tweak UI changes the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDriveTypeAutoRun

I assume that Tweak UI makes the registry change for all users when applied on the admin account, which is supported by the evidence of how it affects the limited user.

When I disable autoplay for all drives using Group Policy, but enable with Tweak UI, Group Policy wins!

Some questions:

1. Do the Tweak UI settings from the admin account apply to a new account when added (as it would be for Group Policy)?
  2. If autoplay is disabled using Tweak UI, does this apply when using a replacement for Explorer?
  3. If autoplay is disabled using Group Policy, does this apply when using a replacement for Explorer?
  4. Is it easier for malware to undo autoplay settings from Tweak UI or Group Policy?

Silly me… I have Comodo System Cleaner installed. Shows how much I use it…

Links were useful and then I thought about checking Comodo system cleaner. I only tend to use it for cleaning temp files and registry. Disabling autoplay and many other tweaks in CSC. See screenshots:

[attachment deleted by admin]

I have similar questions about CSC:

1. Do the CSC settings from the admin account apply to a new account when added (as it would be for Group Policy)?
  2. If autoplay is disabled using CSC, does this apply when using a replacement for Explorer?
  3. If autoplay is disabled using Group Policy, does this apply when using a replacement for Explorer?
  4. Is it easier for malware to undo autoplay settings from CSC or Group Policy?
  5. What registry keys are affected when CSC disables autoplay?