disable alerts

Every time I insert my usb key I have to go into install mode. It never remembers that the key is ok despite the check box telling to to remember my answer. Then the nag screens start and there seems no way to make it stop other than shutting down the firewall. This is starting to be more trouble than it’s worth so I am hoping there is a fix ???

Thanks, Fletch

What program launches when you insert your USB key? Are you installing something off your key that you need to use install mode? Install mode is only for installing things. Have you tried leaving D+ in training mode and inserting the key to see what happens. What kind of software does it use and have you tried making that software trusted under D+?

It doesn’t matter which program is launched, if it’s on a USB key, it won’t be remembered. More precisely, the firewall will create a rule for it, but it will never be applied. Not even setting a rule for the whole key (G:*) works. Seems like SFP simply can’t handle USB keys.

What version of CF ? Even latest 3.0.25 ?

Hi Guys,

Fletch, I am glad I found this thread despite it would be nice if the subject/title contained at least something about USB or removable media. “Disable alerts” sounds sounds too broad. It is not a criticism though.

Yes there is a weirdness in CFP regarding Removable media.

I was going to report something like that but… there is always lack of time.

Probably it should be called a bug … actually two of them.
I will try to describe it, but before that:

1) Vettetech, it is nothing to do with Installations. It has to do with ordinary Running Apps from USB/stick/etc; (and you are/we are right about “Trusted”, but partially)
2) Fletch, to make your life a little bit easier You may do the following;
a) Create a permanent drive for the USB device, from which you are runing your apps.
b) After you run application or all applications from USB and replying to all Alerts
Go to Defense+ rules and set all apps. you are just fired up as Trusted. Sure you may have set that for some already, but if not – do that.
Note: this is a workaround and it will help you temporarily until… the bug #2 will be fixed (see below)

Well, to test CFP behaviour regarding this problem just get Portable Applications from
http://portableapps.com/ (those are very nice to have anyway – good stuff!)
and play with that.
So you connected rather re-connect your removable media.
If you did not set the drive for that as permanent System may give you any drive letter. From that perspective repeated alerts For Applications even when rules were created previously kinda understandable and one may say CFP is not to blame. Drive letter was changed. So it means that the rule does not exist. It is there but “almost”  which doesn’t count, because T:\Portable Apps\Mozilla\Firefox.exe is Not Equal to Y:\ \Portable Apps\Mozilla\Firefox.exe . Who will argue?

My opinion is it should be addressed by developers. It should not be like that even with drive letter generated by system. The rules created for such Apps should have some additional options to set. (this is just a thought)

At the same time even if you set the permanent drive you may receive Alerts unless as it was pointed above you will reset Treat As for those as Trusted. The highlighted combination results on “Alert-less” run on next reconnection of the device…
But… here is the thing (bug #2 as I called it above), which has to be fixed for sure.

You worked with portables. You created rules. You disconnected the device and you don’t need them for a while. You carry on with your everyday work, which is installing and uninstalling hundreds of applications. What else to do? :slight_smile:
And the time comes and you gotta clean the mess.
You fire up Purge. Sure what you see is the list of 269 entries (old rules) for non-existing/uninstalled applications.

You got it I think already, I hope…
Yes. You have only 2 choices here: Purge All or not to Purge All.

You don’t have a chance to choose a subset of rules you don’t want to Purge. Remember?
There are few dozens of perfect alive rules those 269 entries there.
Exactly! Those apps cannot be seen by CFP now somewhere on disconnected device, which is in your pocket now. It is kinda correct.
From the other hand it is not. Those apps are installed and functional but you Purge and those perfect rules of existing applications are murdered. They are innocent victims of careless Purging.
Next time you re-connect … go through Alerts / rules recreation… all for nothing…

Certainly the same applies to Defense+ and to Firewall rules for those “removable apps”.

Something has to be done in this area. What are you opinion(s)?

My regards

Although this is slightly off-topic, I have a somewhat analogous problem with executable files stored on a USB drive that is connected only for periodic updates and occasional recoveries. One partition on this drive is used solely for duplicating my main hard drive, the other is used for ATI images (mainly). The latter has no issues since there are no executable items involved. After every duplication run (typically weekly) my CFP Pending files list contains numerous entries for the Duplicates partition (always F:) and these must be purged. Only a minor problem, but it would be nice if the entire partition could be excluded. In fact, a nice solution would be to allow CFP to ignore any specified partition by name, not drive letter. The drive letter could then change freely (although mine currently never does): I can imagine having more than one USB drive and connecting them in random order!

I never said it was installs. I was asking him a question cause he says he keeps using install mode.

Vettetech ,

I wasn’t arguing with you. I was trying to give my understanding/experience with the problem, staring with the point that Installation mode and then complete shutdown of CFP was used as a "method " of reduction

I have to go into install mode. It never remembers that…
or
complete elimination of Alerts

...no way to make it stop other than shutting down the firewall...
which in this case should not be issued if set already for applications on removable devices. It seems that CFP's rules management and Purging strategy should be improved regarding removable devices (more strongly - redesigned).

My regards

U3 (portable apps) I have tried making it “remember” yet it never does. Right now I have Defense+security disabled , firewall in training yet still getting constant nag screens.

So how do I disable the nag screens?
Thanks, Fletch

Disable alerts, nag screens, whatever you want to call them is EXACTLY what I want to do, hence the title.

I am looking for a good firewall for myself and for public computers for several libraries. Many of the students use these usb keys nowadays so we HAVE to support them. After my initial post I did some searching and found another product that is supposed to be good without the nag screens and constant fiddling. I think I will give it a shot and see what happens. Thank you for being honest with me about the software’s limitations, something rare these days!

Regards, Fletch

Dear Fletch it is NOT a NAG screen its called an alert. NAG screens bother you about paying or upgrading a product. Have you even tried any of the suggestions I mentioned.

Hi Fletch,
Well it is your choice how to call the thread. At the same time the described problem and what I tried to draw attention for users and developers is temporary and sure will be addressed. Disabling Alerts completely is incorrect attitude towards Firewall (any firewall).

You don’t need to disable Alerts especially completely. You need to do that if you want for the session with USB only. But can you tell have you tried what I suggested? Assigning permanent drive letter to your device and Setting Treat as Trusted for those apps on USB will Not give you any Alerts next time you re-connect. and you have fully working CFP with Defense+ protecting whole PC.
The only negative, which I described in previous post is. The settings will go away if you Purge Rules - so don’t do that for a while

Fletch,

Trust me :slight_smile: and many users of this and other forums, trust other security related sites, trust reports of serious tests - Comodo is the best firewall now - Period! (R)
You will not find Firewall without alerts anyway. You will need to set rules anyway.
You may face the same problem with disconnected USB and Portable Applications regarding Alerts anyway.
Current situation with Alerts in Comodo in full Defense+ Mode is excellent. You set up rules and you have not many Alerts if any. You have Alerts where they are absolutely necessary

You will not have the same level of protection with any other FW.

My regards

SiberLynx, please tell how to do this? I cannot get it yet…

Hi Yuriy,

This is actually a short description of how I did it:

Connect the device
Go into Disk Management by
Right-Clicking on My Computer > Manage
and change the drive letter for the device, which is assigned (currently “randomly”).
It is recommended to give “end of scale letters” Z / X…
After you finished that the System should assign the same drive letter again the next time you attach the device.

======= please tell how it worked. It should be fine.

I will try find and give you links with more details in case you have difficulties…

Well,… in addition here is very good Link. I think on one of the subsequent links further somewhere there is info about permanent drives too, but the main purpose of this one is:
How to disable MS management of System Restore on Removable Drives, which is
1) Stupid thing to do and to manage;
2) Waste of space, which could be substantial;
3) Even dangerous, as you will find (can cause data corruption)
http://help.lockergnome.com/windows/disable-system-restore-USB-1394-hard-drives-ftopict580683.html

My regards

Thanks for help SiberLynx. I succeeded to assign permanent letter to usb stick, however i observe same behavior with app which i put on usb stick: i added it as trusted to computer security policy, but every time i replug usb stick, CF give alerts like for the first time.
But that’s doesn’t matter for me at the moment. Again, thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Yuriy ,

I retested that right now. I received none Alerts.

7 Applications tested. 4 of them on the top of the list in
http://portableapps.com/,
Those are new versions which I Updated. Device was connected.
I disconnected after your last post and reconnected.

What I’m suspecting that the Application(s) you are talking about previously gave you several different Alerts. I think that for some of them you replied Allow/Remember, when you should switch to “Treat as”. Those are not necessarily having Trusted in the list, but Browser…port 53, for example, or Installer.
If you leave allow/remember for those you will be re-asked.
That’s how I see it… (despite I am lying I cannot see precise Alerts on your computer from here (:WIN) )

Cheers

I may have done something wrong :frowning: Will re-test later :THNK
Thanks for your time and testing, SiberLynx :■■■■

How about doing this?

a) Make the USB drive sticky (i.e. permanent) as suggested before.
b) Create a file group for x:*.*, where x is the sticky USB drive. Add this file group to Computer Security Policy and Network Security Policy as Trusted Application, or perhaps Windows System Application.

Doing this would allow any of the programs on the USB drive to do (almost) anything, but it would eliminate the hassles too I hope.

Hi MrBrian,

The suggestion of setting up Group is an interesting addition.
I will check that as soon as I have a bit of a time.
At the same time the main obstacle as I pointed above is Purging. That is why as described the suggested was temporary solution (working until one do clean-up) unless something is changed it “Purge Kingdom” and/or even on a higher level where creating entries for removable media has “special status”
But again I will check purging too of cause

Thanks a lot for your input.

My regards