"Direction = In"

Whenever I read the FAQs for making rules for programs to be able to connect, most have “Direction = In”.

What does it mean and when is “Direction = Out” and “Direction = In/Out” used?

I’m lost here…

Hi BullHorn

Only Network Monitor rules can filter both inbound & outbound traffic. Without knowing which FAQs you’re talking about, I can only assume it means replacing/removing the default rule 0 (which allows all outbound TCP/UDP traffic - this assumes you’re using the Application Monitor rules) and implementing your own IP/port restrictions to the applications yourself, otherwise it would be fairly pointless creating any outbound filtering with the default rule 0 present.

Please post a URL for the FAQs in question, I’d would like to examine the context & relevance (might be ICMP traffic or something). Thanks.

What I meant is…

Why do I need to add rules to some port when I already allowed a program? For example, I allowed eMule to connect to the internet, but I still have to allow “Incoming” traffic through a UDP and a TCP port.

(:WAV)

I see. Inbound traffic is a little different because the program you previously allowed didn’t ask for the traffic, it just appeared. These are called unsolicited connections attempts (since your system didn’t request them) & they would normally be rejected unless you created a specific Network Monitor rule to allow them. Typically you get unsolicited connections attempts with things like file-sharing programs (eg. eMule, uTorrent, etc…).

Does that help?

Yeah, I understand it better now. :stuck_out_tongue: