Differences between COMODO and Outpost

Hi all!

I’m sorry for this kind of topic, isn’t my intention create a troll!

Well, a friend of mine, trying show me the power of Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 2008 6.0, has asked me somethings that I don’t know the answer… The questions were:

1. How to direction DNS or DOMAIN port directly to primary and secondary DNS servers without connect to the internet or without ask the provider in CFP 3.0?

2. The other question is about the protection offered by the parental control in CFP… He tells me that Outpost has a password with 240 characters, and COMODO only 16 characters…

Anyway, I would like to say a big THANK YOU to COMODO for this great software! (B)

PS: Excuse my bad english

Anytime I have tried Outpost it slows your pc to a crawl. Rant and Rave all you want about Outpost but in the end it boils down to this.

Outpost + $ 39.99 for 1 year.

Comodo + $ 000 for for life.

Hi Eduardo and welcome to our forums.

The difference between 16 character and 240 is the same: Kids can’t ■■■■■ either! Brute force attack on 16 character is going to take long enough for the kid to grow up to be an adult (very very old adult :slight_smile: ) where he will realise that his dad (now passed away few hundreds year ago) had a good reason why he put that parental control password in and stop his brute force attack!

Joke aside, can you memorise 240 character password? If not where will you store it? on your computer? on a notepad? if you note it on a piece of paper where will you hide it? Will you be able to type 240 character long password without making mistakes? If you store it in your computer can’t your kid find it?

I just wanted to make a post about the pros/cons of 16character password vs 240character password, as i don’t want to get involved this vs that firewall discussion. But I hope you understand my explanation about the length of passwords.

Melih

As mentioned, a password with 240 characters is one of the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard of. If you don’t get some supercomputers to remotely bruteforce your PC, you’ll be fine even with a password with only 5 characters (as long as you use something like 0pz9x and not hello).
And for your first question, I don’t quite understand it. You want to connect to the DNS without connecting to the Internet?

Cheers,
Ragwing

I agree!

Josh.

Have you guys ever run a brute force app? It will depend on how comodo stores the passwords, but for instance, windows login passwords up through XPSP2 anyway, I have personally brute forced 5 letter passwords in ~2 minutes on Athlon XP 2400+ computers, not any supercomputer.

12 character password took 6 hrs on same computer.

So 16 character password could take maybe 3 days. Not really that long. Rainbow tables can make the process just a database lookup, so pretty fast.

That said, depends on Comodo, how it stores the password and whether you can get access to the hash.