Did Comodo kill my Windows Live Messenger?

Okay before I installed Comodo this morning, I’d like to state that my PC had no problems at at all. Before installing Comodo I was able to run all my instant messengers just fine.

I removed Microsoft Security Essentials and rebooted. Then proceeded to install CIS and rebooted as well. Went to start my Windows Live Messenger and it gives me an error telling me it’s stopped working.

I tried to go to my programs list to maybe uninstall it and reinstall it, but it wasnt listed. I downloaded the install package for it and tried to install its from there and it says its already installed.

I didnt bother starting up my other instant messengers because I didnt want them to get ■■■■■■■ up I didnt want to take that risk. I immedietly uninstalled CIS and in the middle of the reboot waitingfor my PC to start back up.

It really bites that my first experience with Comodo was a bad one. I was excited about switching my security up a bit and looking forward to it but now am not sure if I will ever or even want to try Comodo again.

–Nick.

I wouldnt jump into a quick conclusion, saying that CIS ruined your IM.
What if uninstalling MSE ruined the IM installation (both are Microsoft anyway)?

Either way, CIS is very easy to install. In fact, as far as I know, you dont need to uninstall Security Essentials as CIS disables it for you when installing, that makes it easier.

CIS has over 30,000,000 installs. So I guess its worth to try again. :wink:
But it would be nice if you can give more details about your OS, PC, etc.

??? You must be mixing up windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essential, which is an antivirus. If the OP installed the full Comodo Internet Security, including CAV, clearly he was right to uninstall MSE before installing CIS.

To xxteargodxx, there is no reason why CIS would uninstall Windows Life Messenger or any other program on your computer, there must be another reason for your trouble with WLM.

Are you sure WLM isn’t included in the package Window Life Essentials?

One reason which could explain that you couldn’t run WLM after installing CIS is that it was caught by the sandbox and to unlock it would have been to move it to the trusted files.

Sorry, I got confused with Windows Defender. Windows Defender gets disabled by CIS installer.
Though I have installed CIS when a computer also has MSE installed, but dont remember if was disabled in them or not.

I dont think it got caught by sandbox either, so I really think it was related to the uninstall of MSE (a part of WLE).

In my personal experience, Windows Defender was NEVER disabled during the installation of CIS nor afterwards by CIS.

My personal experience, all installations I did it was always disabled. But anyway, thats not the subject being discussed in the forum. !ot!

xxteargodxx, I would recommend you to reinstall your WLM that you are having problems with.
But dont uninstall CIS. You will see that its one of the top products for protection, specially if you are using a IM such a Live Messenger.

He already tried!

At xxteargodxx. Can you post a screenshot of the D+ logs (View Defense + Events )of around the time you start WLM and it crashes?

Okay I will give some more information. I currently do have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, (I put it back on after I took off Comodo).

Also if I were to install Comodo (The one from the link in this thread below). Should I uninstall MSE first? Or no?

https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/comodo-internet-security-531814151237-update-t70066.0.html

PC Information:

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.
Processor: AMD Phenom™ 9150e Quad-Core Processor 1.80 GHz
Memory: 4GB.
Hard Drive: 600GB.
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3200.

It does not matter which program you install first: CIS or MSE.

I would suggest to download the latest stable version, v5.5, from COMODO Internet Security 5.5.195786.1383 Released!.

That is the one I installed yesterday Eric, but what I was asking is I guess I meant is it okay to keep MSE on my computer and Comodo as well?

MSE and CIS work together.

However it is recommended not to use two on access scanners. If you have the AV of Comodo also installed you need to choose if you let MSE or the Comodo AV be the residential scanner.

I’m not sure what you mean by that Eric. Do I have to disable something in one of the two programs So tha tone will be the residential scanner?

Say you want to have MSE monitor for viruses then you need to disable the AV in CIS (move down the slider to disabled). You can use the Comodo AV on demand.

Ah ok right, well I disabled real time scanning in Comodo that way I can let MSE pick up scanning in real time.