Desert Island Disks

I bought each of my children, those old enough anyway, some good quality headphones. Seems to have worked quite well :slight_smile:

I would say you’re not fully in touch with your rage and anger… Indulge in it with rap and metal. Other than that forgot that I said this… :-X :wink:

It is my firm believe that music is the ultimate mediator and cross cultural language to all states of being without the fall out of taking out one’s internal shit on the world surrounding us… 8) :a0 >:-D

So glad I don’t have children… :smiley:

:slight_smile: What brand did you get them?

I’ve always been a fan of Audio Technica headphones, in fact I currently use the ATH-W1000x with a Lehmann Black headphone amp. I also have a pair of ATH-A700x which the kids used as a test. I was particularly keen for them to get closed back headphones and with that in mind and the test under our belts, we tried a few different sets. In the end, one went for a pair of ATH-WS77 - they liked the bass - and the other the ATH-A500x. They also both got Filo portable headphone amps as the Audio Technica can be quite demanding.

Back in the days I had an open Sennheiser. Currently I am using a wireless closed Sennheiser to listen to my computer audio (it belonged to my late mother). Sennheiser tends to be easy to listen to while maintaining a good levels of detail and balance.

With speakers, amps and sources I tend to be more precise and demanding.

Back on topic. What would I take to the proverbial deserted island? Most certainly some classical stuff. In no particular order and not necessarily belonging to particular album:
Miserere from Allegri by the Tallis Scolars
Gymnopedies and Gnosiennes from Eric Satie by Reinbert de Leeuw
Several CD’s with music from Arvo Paert (I write ae because I cannot find a with the two dots on it (umlaut))

From the world of pop:
Songbird (album) by Eva Cassidy

I listened to some HD650s and they are very nice headphones but being open, they’re just not suitable for my environment.

With speakers, amps and sources I tend to be more precise and demanding.

I used to have some very nice equipment fronted my a Gyrodec - I prefer vinyl - but with babies running riot, it just wasn’t practical. Maybe one day…

Back on topic. What would I take to the proverbial deserted island? Most certainly some classical stuff. In no particular order and not necessarily belonging to particular album: Miserere from Allegri by the Tallis Scolars Gymnopedies and Gnosiennes from Eric Satie by Reinbert de Leeuw Several CD's with music from Arvo Paert (I write ae because I cannot find a with the two dots on it (umlaut))

From the world of pop:
Songbird (album) by Eva Cassidy

A lot of things in there I’ve not come across, so thanks for that. Eva Cassidy, however, I do know. Songbird is a lovely album.

As an aside, to get ä you can use an value. Hold and enter 0228 on the numeric keypad, then release the key.

Open or closed are important parameters or choice for headphones no matter how you spin it.

I used to have some very nice equipment fronted my a Gyrodec - I prefer vinyl - but with babies running riot, it just wasn't practical. Maybe one day...
My Linn Basic record player is collecting dust these days despite 300 or so LP records around. It is on a shelf on the wall; even if little ones wanted they could not touch it....
A lot of things in there I've not come across, so thanks for that. Eva Cassidy, however, I do know. Songbird is a lovely album.
The classical stuff other than Satie is religious of nature. The latter's sheer depth, transcendence and quiet simply cannot be surpassed in my world ...

Not even by some seemingly opposite destructive music from Nine Inch Nails, Nine Inch Nails again, Tool, Aphex Twin and alikes.

They surely are considered to have some of that stuff be put on the list to cater for the far end of the spectrum (which strangely enough in its seriousness is not always that far apart from the former). Why is live never without contradictions? :smiley:

Eva Cassidy’s Songbird album is a special case. At the surface she seems another singer song writer. However, the songs by others she sings are taken to another level.

She brings her own expression and interpretation that transcends. Her personal expression as well as her command of music elevates to a level of communicating what it is to be human in the seemingly opposite position of being vulnerable and strong at the same time.

And that leaves only the rest of the universe to discuss that can be covered by music… 88) 8) :-X :stuck_out_tongue: >:-D

Eva Cassidy was a tremendous talent who we lost way too soon. Her rendition of Somewhere Over The Rainbow can make a grown man cry. She expresses the meaning of the song like nobody else ever has. It almost seems like she had a subliminal knowledge of the tragedy that would befall her. Her versions of Songbird and Cyndi Lauper’s Time After Time are also incredible.

Speaking of Cyndi Lauper, when she’s not fooling around with her voice and music, that woman can really sing.

As nice as Eva’s version is, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole, IMHO, does the best version ever of Somewhere Over the Rainbow, where he segues from Rainbow into Satchmo’s It’s a Wonderful World and then seamlessly back to Rainbow.

Beautiful voice, beautiful combination of lyrics - just beautiful. My family already know this is the song I want played at my funeral.

Ewen :slight_smile:

He’s a big lad but he does have a beautiful voice. Thanks for that :slight_smile:

My family already know this is the song I want played at my funeral.

Ewen :slight_smile:

I have in mind ‘Symphony for the Devil’ by the Rolling Stones for mine >:-D

Israel’s rendition is very nice indeed but it also seems very lighthearted and does not convey the sense of longing and sadness that Eva’s does. I still say hers is the best. It’s like it was written for her.

I have in mind 'Symphony for the Devil' by the Rolling Stones for mine
Nice :D

I have - In my life The Beetles - chosen for mine
Hopefully many years down the line…

Actually it’s “Sympathy for the Devil”. One of their best for sure.

This is very true. It’s very common for people to own records in languages they don’t understand.

I’m also of the opinion that music is one area that people really don’t care what other people think of them. People often say that they don’t care what people think about something or other, but I think that deep down it really does bother them. But with music, if someone says they don’t care for your taste in music, you just honestly don’t care. :slight_smile:

I think she’s even better today than she’s ever been. Who would have thought when Girls Just Want To Have Fun came out, that she had so much depth as an artist?

With her talent she can own songs where the original sometimes gets forgotten (Fields of Gold by Sting seems irrelevant after Eva Cassidy’s version).

My favorite of Song bird is Autumn Leaves. It manages to touch me and take me temporarily some place else…

There is a reason that famous heavy metal guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen are heavily influenced by classical music. There is a power there that is surprising.

Ever heard E.S. Posthumous? If not, you should. :slight_smile: (And will… :smiley: )

They are a couple of brothers that decided that classical orchestral music should be combined with modern elements such as rock drums, rock guitar, and synthesizers. That’s not really a new concept, but they’ve managed it in a way that is nothing short of spectacular. You can tell they truly understand the genres that they’re pulling from.

What is the most mind blowing to me, is that the orchestra is so rhythmically tight with the rhythm section. Having worked quite regularly with large orchestra’s, the average orchestral player just isn’t very adept at strict timings required to mesh properly with a rhythm section, because the style they’ve been playing for so many years just doesn’t require that sort of precision.

Anyway, here is a sampler. If this doesn’t get your blood pumping, I don’t know what will… There is a reason that E.S. Posthumous is probably one of the most licensed artists when it comes to film trailers. (I know we covered them quite a bit)

First, their take on a classic: Moonlight Sonata

And a few more.
Unstoppable
Pompeii (You’ve probably heard portions of this in several movie trailers, such as this one for Spiderman, (which we actually worked on) starting at 1:40)
Ebla
Nineveh
Lepcis Magna
Harappa
Ushas
Kalki

I guess “Epic” is the proper term. :wink:

Quite right. That’s what happens when trying to do several things at the same time!

+1

Big man’s lyrics make you want float away.

I think I broke my rewind button. ;D

:■■■■ Only that one will take with me -everywhere -

He wrote this song after his doctor said to him

you have a tumor and just 6 months left.

Also :-TU :-TU
awesome
Thanks for this :smiley: