Defense+ Rules

Hi all, new here.

New computer, HP laptop.

New to vista Home Premium.

New to Comodo firewall 3.0.18.309 installed today.

Trying to get a better understanding of which rules to apply to which programs. I’ve read help in Comodo, the newbe section, FAQs and searched but ???

Are there more definitive explanations for the following and when to apply them?

Windows Installer Application
Trusted application
Isolated Application
Isolated Browser Application

My search produced this one post.

“You should apply the Isolated Application-poicy for applications that you don’t trust. Isolated Application means that all of its actions are denied.
I don’t see a use for this, since you can simply block it from running
But I guess that’s how it’s supposted to be used.”

What programs are you talking about? Are you also refereeing to the Firewall or D+? Its actually best to put the firewall and D+ in training mode for the first week or so and let Comodo learn all your apps you use. Then switch it back to the settings you had before.

Firewall is still in training mode.

Presently interested in D+

Need help in understanding these.

Trusted application
Isolated Application

If you read " what do these settings do" you will get a better understanding of each one. Its too much to type. you also download the PDF on the main page.

Double click the firewall icon to bring up the GUI.
Click Defense+ at the top.
Click Advanced on the left hand side.
Click Predefined Security Policies.
Four predefined security policies are listed: the first three that you list plus Limited Application.
(I don’t know anything about Isolated Browser Application).
Highlight Trusted Application.
Click Edit…
Click Access Rights.
The process access rights are enumerated.
Close the screen.
Click Protection Settings.
The protection settings are enumerated.
Close the screen.
Close the trusted application screen.

The same procedure can used for the three remaining predefined security policies.

Regards,
Mike

Thats not what he meant. He wants an explanation of item he listed and the difference between each one.

Thank you for your help.

I am sorry but I am unfamiliar with the boards and the firewall.
To what main page are you referring? And where would this be located " what do these settings do"

When ever you open up Comodo and then open up a tab like for example. Click the the Firewall tab on the top menu bar. Then click Advanced. Then click Netwrok Security Policy. On the bottom of that tab you will see " What do these settings do". You will see this in other areas of Comodo also. Click on it and it will tell you all you need to know. What I meant by the main page was the main page of Comodo.com. Here is a link to the PDF. (CLY)

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/support.html

Still looking for the answer to this.

Are there more definitive explanations for the following and when to apply them?

Trusted application
Isolated Application

There isn’t a good explination in the Comodo help file so using “What do these settings do” is of no help, but nice to know it’s there.

The downloaded PDF file is basically the same and there isn’t a good explination in it.

Searching hasn’t helped much.

First of all you need to have a good understanding of the program that set the D+ alert then apply the appropriate rule. Like if you have Spybot and open up Spybot then click update in Spybot and close it out. Then when you open up Comodo and go into your D+ programs you will see 2 entires. Spybot.exe and Spybot updater.exe. You can make Spybot a trusted program and the updater an updater/installer. If you simply click allow Comodo will automatically make a custom rule which is fine also.