Defense + High CPU load and Memory usage

A. THE BUG/ISSUE: high cpu and memory usage/load of cfp.exe

1. What you did: bug starts after the update to 5.8
  2. What actually happened or you actually saw: high cpu load without interruction even if I don’t use the pc and the hard disk is not reading any file.
  3. What you expected to happen or see:
  4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: reinstalled the CIS, nothing happened. To stop the high cpu/memory usage I must disable Defense +.
  5. If a software compatibility problem have you tried the compatibility fixes (link in format)?: no
  6. Details & exact version of any software (execpt CIS) involved (with download link unless malware): no other software involved. I use Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
  7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so precise steps to make it happen: the issue is still happening every time a start the pc and to stop it I need to shut down the pc… so, it’s always there.
  8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons): nothing

B. FILES APPENDED. (Please zip unless screenshots).:

1. Screenshots of the Defense plus Active Processes List (Required for all issues):
  2. Screenshots illustrating the bug:
  3. Screenshots of related CIS event logs:
  4. A CIS config report or file:
  5. Crash or freeze dump file:
  6. Screenshot of More~About page. Can be used instead of typed product and AV database version:

C. YOUR SETUP:

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration: version 5.8.213334.2131, virus database: 10780. Firewall disabled at all.
  2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from a previous version of CIS: yes
    b) if so, have you tried a clean reinstall (without losing settings - if not please do)?: yes
  3. a) Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS: no
    b) if so, have U tried a standard config (without losing settings - if not please do)?: yes
  4. Have you made any other major changes to the default config? (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here.): no
  5. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels: defense + level “PC clean” or “Safe”; Sandbox level “Enabled”; Antivirus level “Stateful”; Firewall not installed.
  6. OS version, service pack, number of bits, UAC setting, & account type: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32bit, UAC disabled, account administrator
  7. Other security and utility software currently installed: no
  8. Other security software previously installed at any time since Windows was last installed: no
  9. Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box)[color=blue]: no

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you very much for your bug report in standard format.

Unfortunately the following bold items of required information are missing from your post

1. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels:

We would be grateful if you would add these items of information so we can forward this post to the format verified board. You can find assistance using red links in the format and here - if you need further help please ask a mod. If you do not add the information after a week we will forward this post to non-format. If this happens we will tell you how to rectify this if you wish to. Developers may look at the issue in the non-format board, and may fix it.

But it is much more likely to be fixed if you edit your first post to create an issue report which meets all criteria in the bug forum Checklist and Format. (You can copy and paste the format from this topic). The general reasons why are summarized in that post, the reasons we ask for information you may think unecessary are given in this detailed post.

In the current process we will normally leave it up to you whether you want to make a report which meets all the criteria or not. We may remind you if we think a bug of particular importance.

Sorry, I’ve updated my first post.

Thank you very much for your report in standard format, with all information supplied. The care you have taken is much appreciated by Comodo, and will increase the likelihood that this bug can be fixed.

Developers may or may or may not communicate with you in the forum or by PM/IM, depending on time availability and need. Because you have supplied complete information they may be able to replicate and fix the bug without doing so.

Moved to Verified.

Many thanks again

Dennis

What kind of reply is that. You must know that in with defense+ in any mode when one allows an unknown program to run (with remember my answer checked) that cfp.exe requires 50% of the cpu to do whatever it needs to do. My situation is precisely the same as the person that you brushed off. I’ll file a bug report on my own if I have to.

I DO NOT THINK cfp.exe CAN HANDLE THE LIST OF TRUSTED FILES. The list is too large, probably. You’ll have to make a system filter like filter.sys or something. Consider how PeerBlock handles lists with over one billion items in a matter of seconds. Many programs, like Visual Studio, add all of their files to the trusted file database.

Defense+ is useless to me. It just sits there, disabled. Not only does it take 50% of the cpu to, ostensibly, update the trusted file list with a new entry, it takes as long as 15 minutes! By this time, the hanging executable dies or times out. You must be aware of this problem. It’s been hanging around for over one year.

You also must know, that just to view the trusted file list in defense+, that it takes about ten minutes to populate the list.

Development must know that they need to re-design this database to run faster or Comodo is risking their reputation.

I enjoy Comodo very much and hope this will be addressed.

Regards,
Shawn

PS. New PC, no anti-virus complications – I fixed that months ago, no anti-spyware complications either. Not even any defense+ events logged. cfp.exe simply cannot handle the database of trusted files. Development must be informed of this. I thank you.

Could you make a new thread and ask for help?

Yes, this does sound like a bug.

Please create a bug report so that the devs can investigate your problem.

Thanks.

I have the same issue with populating the Trusted D+ list or saving changes to it or the D+ Policy editor. Please do make a full report, or I will myself when I have time.